Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 25th, 2017, 8:37pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Your Most Unusual Car
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Your Most Unusual Car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Your Most Unusual Car  (Read 4963 times)
George_Harris
Historian
Re: Your Most Unusual Car

« Reply #20 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 3:27am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

OK, this is almost all off-topic:  Eglin AFB:

Railroad part:  The former L&N Pensacola and Atlantic runs through Crestview on the north side of the base.  route of the tri-weekly Sunset Limited and quite a bit of freight traffic.  I had thought that the railroad line into the AFB itself was out of service.  

Your main near city is Pensacola.  Eglin contains a commercial airport and also a minimum security federal  prison for non-violent offenders.  One of the "country club" prisons.  I know a person who was a guest there for a couple of years.  He somehow didn't understand the lesson, so now he is a much longer term guest of the state of Florida, definitely not country club conditions.  You are about midway along the stretch of Gulf Coast, generally considered as stretching from about Bay St. Louis, Mississippi to Panama City, Florida that goes by the nickname of Redneck Riviera, as it contains the beaches of choice for the central deep South.  Nice area.  

George

dustymars
TRAINing
  troop-kitchen.jpg - 17376 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 7:49am »

on Apr 11th, 2005, 10:02pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thanks for the reply dustymars.  Is there any info/interior photos or drawings you can share with us about these cars or their service?  The B-52 dates from the early 50s, when did they start with the Mobile Simulators?  How many of these were built?  Careful with your answers to my questions, they have been known to make me ask more questions!
CHESSIEMIKE

Images of the old mobile simulators are rare and the three I have are posted here.  At Westover AFB, MA we had a B-52D simulator that was installed in the mid-1950’s.  Can’t remember what the mobile was but it was probably an ‘F’ model with the “Hound Dog” missiles.  The newest I worked on was a 1959, B-52F.  The home main bases for the B-52 and KC-135  Mobile Simulators were: Castle AFB, CA, Bergstrom AFB, TX, Westover AFB, MA and Loring AFB, Maine.  Except for Castle that had several of each type of simulators the other bases had a “static” and a mobile system.  Probably SAC had a dozen B-52 simulators, half were mobile and about the same KC-135’s.  In September 1966 the B-52 static and mobile was transferred to Castle and the KC-135 went to Carswell AFB, TX.  Later the switched from the old analog systems to modern digital simulators.

I’m am not sure who was the first to start the mobile runs but some guys at Bergstrom claimed to be the first with their KC-135.  Castle was most likely first and that was sometime in mid-to late 1962. Westover was scheduled to begin in October 1962, but Castro and that fat USSR pig had other plans for us, so we delayed it until January 1963.

Originally they were old hospital cars from WWI or WWII.  Since I left the Air Force in Feb 1968 my memory is fading quickly and you’ll have to ask some questions.  BTW, attached an image of the added car on the KC-135 that was an old troop kitchen car way back in one of the wars.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/troop-kitchen.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2005, 8:00am by dustymars » Logged
dustymars
TRAINing
  SAC_Banner.jpg - 19923 Bytes
« Reply #22 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 7:53am »

on Apr 12th, 2005, 12:39am, chessie8212 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That one that sits abandoned at Eglin AFB... when was that taken?  Is it still there?  I have a brother who is in the AF and is being sent to Eglin very soon.

Not sure when it was taken but some retired Air Force officer wrote to me asking for information on the mobile simulators and sent me images of the old rusty looking KC-135 that was sitting in the fuel depot area on Eglin AFB.  He indicated that it had been there for several years.  From what he said he had purchased both cars and wanted to know form me if the simulator was worth anything.  I told him that he could sell it off as scrap because to my knowledge no one used the old analog computer simulators anymore.  Not sure if it is still there or not since he was having some difficulty with the railroads shipping it to his home.  He was going to strip it out and make a “bed and breakfast” vacation place out of it, soemwhere up in Tennessee!

Attached is an image showing how rusty the cars are now.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/SAC_Banner.jpg
Click Image to Resize

dustymars
TRAINing

« Reply #23 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 7:58am »

I forgot to add that the simulator cockpit area of the cars expanded out about 4 feet on each side for access to the instructor area.  We used to work on them occasionally when snow piled up too high on the sides.  Also, we carried 500 gallons of fuel for the two 300-KVR, 3-phase generators.

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 10:27am »

Hi George,

Re: Eglin Airplane Patch; To the best of my recollection, it is this country's largest AFB. The Ft. Walton Beach airport uses their runways, and the runways give priority to AF aircraft. I remember sitting quietly in a twin turboprop puddle jumper, waiting for a squadron of F-16's take off. They took off three at a time, afterburners ablaze. Needless to say, it was NOT a long wait, and they were GONE.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 10:33pm »

hey kool.....a tipper car. now ive never seen one of those bahfore. as far the Ex-CSX locomotive,the horns are still good on that thing. id be askin a yardmaster or somebody to lemme takin off for a modest fee. plus i dont think they needed to put "retired" on that locomotive. seeing the fuel tank missing and a few other parts i think one can grab that assumption on da first try.

S.S.T.S. 6464
Historian
View Profile  

Picture_005.jpg - 44981 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 12:25am »

here we go, used to be a normal boxcar, but not any more, but still on a train.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/Picture_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

West Chester Railroad www.westchesterrr.net
-The Route of the Flying Turkeys!
I lay my head on the railroad tracks, to wait for the double E,
the railroad don't run no more. Poor Poor pitiful me! -Warren Zevon
S.S.T.S. 6464
Historian
View Profile  

IMAG0078.jpg - 85778 Bytes
« Reply #27 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 12:36am »

idon't know if this is unusual or not, i never saw one before or since??

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/IMAG0078.jpg
Click Image to Resize

West Chester Railroad www.westchesterrr.net
-The Route of the Flying Turkeys!
I lay my head on the railroad tracks, to wait for the double E,
the railroad don't run no more. Poor Poor pitiful me! -Warren Zevon
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 1:50am »

on Apr 12th, 2005, 7:49am, dustymars wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Originally they were old hospital cars from WWI or WWII.  Since I left the Air Force in Feb 1968 my memory is fading quickly and you’ll have to ask some questions.  BTW, attached an image of the added car on the KC-135 that was an old troop kitchen car way back in one of the wars.

The answer is WWII.  There were hospital cars and troop sleepers.  Your picture would be of a kitchen car is what is essentially a troop sleeper body.  The hospital cars looked like passenger cars.  In fact after the war Monon modernized their passenger service by buying hospital car bodies, gutting them and making modern looking passenger cars out of them.  The troop sleepers looked like box cars with windows, and from what I have heard (I never rode in one. I ain't that old.) the ride quality was terrible.  But then if your definition of proper ride was the 80 ton 80 foot long 6 axle pullman, a four axle 50 foot car that probably weighed in at about 50 tons would be terrible.  

George

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 5:23am »

on Apr 13th, 2005, 12:25am, leol39 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
here we go, used to be a normal boxcar, but not any more, but still on a train.

I guess CSX doesn't have smashed-equipment detectors. Maybe somebody will notice this at the next yard.  

- Bob

dustymars
TRAINing

« Reply #30 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 10:24am »

on Apr 13th, 2005, 1:50am, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The answer is WWII.  There were hospital cars and troop sleepers.  Your picture would be of a kitchen car is what is essentially a troop sleeper body.  The hospital cars looked like passenger cars.  In fact after the war Monon modernized their passenger service by buying hospital car bodies, gutting them and making modern looking passenger cars out of them.  The troop sleepers looked like box cars with windows, and from what I have heard (I never rode in one. I ain't that old.) the ride quality was terrible.  But then if your definition of proper ride was the 80 ton 80 foot long 6 axle pullman, a four axle 50 foot car that probably weighed in at about 50 tons would be terrible.  

George

When in the Air Force I rode the mobile simulators a lot during before I got married. After that single guys could have it.  I would ride them between Dayton, Ohio to Albany, Georgia then to Orlando, Florida each month.  The railroad people were very friendly and when I would be stuck in some yard they would bring by fuel for my generators and food, once a six-pack so we sat and BS’ed and drank beer.  The good old days.

The B-52 cars were hospital cars and the KC-135's were shorter and different, but I can’t remember exactly what the difference is now.  At least that is what the Air Force told us at Hill AFB.  Anyway, there was a 18-inch layer of concrete poured in the flooring to balance the top heavy load of the cockpit section of the simulator.  One engineer told me that the cars weighed 180 tons!  I am sure it was both cars.

The first train I remember riding was a steam engine type when my mother took me to where my dad was in jungle training preparing to go to war.  It must have been in mid-1944.  I rode a lot of those steamers after that when my father and I rode trains up to Wisconsin from North Carolina in 1948.  They were fun to ride.  The real old good old days

GVrooman
Railfan
  srs125_cm.jpg - 45027 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 11:57am »

Here is one I saw parked on a siding  in Chenango Forks, NY a couple of months ago. A Sperry Rail Service track inspection car.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/srs125_cm.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 5:39pm »

Hey dustymars, any chance of a pic or drawing of the inside of one of them thar simulators?  Does the Air Force have any info they would be willing to share?
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
dustymars
TRAINing

« Reply #33 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 6:42pm »

on Apr 14th, 2005, 5:39pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey dustymars, any chance of a pic or drawing of the inside of one of them thar simulators?  Does the Air Force have any info they would be willing to share?
CHESSIEMIKE

I would not think many photos of the simulators exist now.  We were not allowed to take cameras in the B-52 back then, secret stuff and all, so I have none.  I have looked on the Internet for photos but found nothing.  In the 30 years I worked on simulators not many peiple wven knew about them and even within SAC hardly anyone knew we had them on trains!  Heck, I'm not sure now if they existed after all these years!!  

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2005, 6:44pm by dustymars » Logged
TrainChaser
TRAINing

« Reply #34 on: Apr 20th, 2005, 12:09pm »

The Schnable is indeed a very interesting car. If I'm correct, it is the largest freight car out there. Has 36 axles. It sat here in Charleston, S.C. for about 2 1/2 years. But within the last couple of months it was moved, and it is now in Denver transporting some sort of reactor from what i understand. I have pictures of it, but unfortunately, I don't have a scanner.

Tim

kjohn
Historian
  CN_Hudson_Bay_articulated_carsx.jpg - 93503 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 2:01pm »

Here's one I saw just a week ago in southeast Saskatchewan.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/CN_Hudson_Bay_articulated_carsx.jpg
Click Image to Resize

1st generation EMD preferred!!
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 2:12pm »

Hi,

Unusual car indeed. Haven't seen one like that.  

One of my "Hobbies" is collecting unusual HO gauge freight cars. Some time ago, I acquired, at a train swap meet, an HO gauge Pickle car, and a Vinegar car. The Pickle car has many barrels standing vertically on the car, with covers, for the sour and half sour pickles. The vinegar car is a Heinz 57 varieties wooden barrel lying on its long side, the length of the car, and of course carries Vinegar. This is of course Acetic Acid, and so required a holding vessel that it would not attack. Something like wine, but of course that was shipped as a Sherry, wine without most of the water, somewhere around 100 proof. Hiccup !!!

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 4:53pm »

Where did you find that vinegar car? Ive been looking for one of those for almost 10 years. I have an N-scale one in Milwaukee Road colors. they are some of my favorite cars.

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 6:34pm »

looks like CN experimented with an Articulated hopper.   i don't think the guy who bought tha train  B-52 simulator should gut it and turn it into abed and breack fast.  he should sell it to the USAF Mueseum in Dayton Ohio.

before i was into trains, i was deeply into aircraft.   and one day i went to dayton.  i think they had a boxcar with somethign special about it there, but i can't rember what.  it looked ordinary from the outside, it was oxide red.   its out parked a little away off the feild where the ICBM launcher was... which is on the tarmac out front of the muesuem.  anyway i bet they could restore it and shed soem light on a little known piece of AF history.. which is double for me cause i enjoy airplanes almost more than trains.  of course that would be heresy on a site devoted to trains, lol.

went to the site and couldn't find it.  i went in 2000. it might not still be ther 5 years now.

chris

green_elite_cab
Historian
  od20.jpg - 37790 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Apr 26th, 2005, 6:38pm »

oh i found it!   its called the Peacekeeper Rail Garrison car.  it was built in 1986 ad part of the ICBM force. here is what the site says

On December 19, 1986, the White House announced President Reagan's approval to develop a rail garrison system for basing part of the Peacekeeper Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) force. To increase survivability of this force, 50 Peacekeepers would be deployed in existing Minuteman silos and 50 more would be mounted on 25 USAF trains, two per train. Each train would consist of two locomotives, two security cars, two missile launch cars housing the missiles, one launch control car, one fuel car, and one maintenance car. Each launch car carried one Peacekeeper ICBM, in a launch tube which could be elevated to fire the missile from the bed of the car. The trains would be parked in shelters located on USAF Strategic Air Command bases throughout the continental U.S., with the missiles on continuous alert. When necessary, the trains could be dispersed onto the nation's rail network, making it extremely difficult for an enemy to target and destroy them. Development of the rail garrison deployment system was terminated in 1991 as Cold War tensions eased.  

Major contractors for the rail garrison system were Boeing Aerospace Corp., Westinghouse Marine Division, and Rockwell International Autonetics. Overall body length of the launch car is 87 feet. Fully loaded, it would weigh more than 520,000 pounds. This prototype launch car was delivered to the Museum in 1994.

it looke different than i rember it though... my memroery stinks.  i'm only 15 and i have the memory of an old person.... i'm growing to quickly!

chris

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/od20.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »