Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 12th, 2017, 5:55am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Your Most Unusual Car
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   The Concourse
(Moderator: Forum Admin)
   Your Most Unusual Car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Your Most Unusual Car  (Read 5008 times)
trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

Your Most Unusual Car

« on: Jan 19th, 2003, 11:42am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

What's the most unusual railroad car you've ever seen, in or out of service or in photos?  I'll bet some of you have a doozie or two to share!  

Bob

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2003, 11:43am by trainwatcher1100 » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Your Most Unusual Car

« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 12:45pm »

Hi,

The most unusual car that caught my attention was a Schnaeble. This is a heavy lift, depressed center, flat car that has many axles to distribute the excess weight on the rails. The last one I saw was transporting a transformer for the local Edison company, and was of hugh dimensions and weight. A very special freight car.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Two23
Historian
  torpedo.jpg - 41562 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 1:10pm »

Last summer, up in northern Onatario, I saw a bulkhead flatcar with special racks.  It was the canoe car for the Little Bear that runs from Cochrane to Moosonee.  Adventurers load their canoe onto it, and when they get to a river crossing they want off at, they tell the conductor. They then walk off the train and into the wilderness with their canoe.  They can canoe on down to James Bay and take the train back from any point on the track by flagging it down.  I have a photo of it ,but the ones I took have no canoes on it either!
http://cochraneyard.homestead.com/protoc.html

Another unusual car I've seen lately was the torpedoes used to haul molten iron at St. Sault Marie, Ontario.

Kent in SD

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/torpedo.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Kent in SD
NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 5:39pm »

This isn't a car, but it is the most unusual photo I've ever seen...

http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photos/wrecks/6532wrk.jpg

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 5:52pm »

That's okay, NJ. Your photo reminds me of an unusual car - one that our neighbor kitbashed years ago out of two wrecked Corvairs. Only the colors were reversed, IFRC.  

Bob

NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 5:57pm »

I like the way CSX stenciled "RETIRED" above the front truck, as if that wasnt obvious enough.  

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 5:58pm »

BTW, good topic you got here Bob!

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 6:12pm »

on Jan 19th, 2003, 1:10pm, Two23 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Another unusual car I've seen lately was the torpedoes used to haul molten iron at St. Sault Marie, Ontario.

Kent in SD

Thanks for jumping in, Kent.  Neat pix!

For a short time before Bethlehem Steel closed the last of its Bethlehem operations, Conrail ran special moves of hot bottles through CP Burn.  Man, we could feel the heat radiating from those cars 50 feet from the tracks!  A good deal more impressive than what radiated from the NS-bound garbage trains!  

Bob

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

DAFX_-13.jpg - 67490 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 7:49pm »

Well, I don't know for sure if this is the "Most Unusual Car" that I have a shot of, but it was the one that came to my mind first.   I was told that this was a B-52 KC-135 Simulator that the USAF used.  Would love to see the inside of it.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/DAFX_-13.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2007, 1:13pm by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 8:05pm »

on Jan 19th, 2003, 7:49pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, I don't know for sure if this is the "Most Unusual Car" that I have a shot of, but it was the one that came to my mind first.   I was told that this was a B-52 Simulator that the USAF used.  Would love to see the inside of it.
CHESSIEMIKE

Wow, you beat us all with that one! That sure is unique.

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 10:16pm »

on Jan 19th, 2003, 5:57pm, NJ Railfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I like the way CSX stenciled "RETIRED" above the front truck, as if that wasnt obvious enough.  

Some people need EVERYTHING spelled out for them.

Bob

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 10:32pm »

on Jan 19th, 2003, 12:45pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi,

The most unusual car that caught my attention was a Schnaeble. This is a heavy lift, depressed center, flat car that has many axles to distribute the excess weight on the rails. The last one I saw was transporting a transformer for the local Edison company, and was of hugh dimensions and weight. A very special freight car.

Hi, Alan -

You betcha. First time I drove by one of these babies parked on a siding, I had to do an oval-turn in heavy traffic to come back for another look.  Even empty, it was one impressive sight.  Imagine it, loaded like the one you saw, squealing around Horseshoe Curve!   I did a simple Google search (BTW, smartypants Google corrected the spelling - it's Schnabel) and found several fan and equipment company sites with pics and info.

Thanks - Bob

Marty_Feldner
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 10:46pm »

Actually, the schnabel isn't a flat car of any kind. Functionally, it more resembles disconnected logging trucks.

The car, 'empty', is two ends, fastened together. When 'loaded', the ends are detached from each other and attached to the ends of the load. This makes the load an integral part of the structure of the car.

Obviously, the load has to be specially designed for not only its prime function, but to become part of the car.

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 5:23am »

on Jan 19th, 2003, 10:46pm, Marty_Feldner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Actually, the schnabel isn't a flat car of any kind. Functionally, it more resembles disconnected logging trucks.

The car, 'empty', is two ends, fastened together. When 'loaded', the ends are detached from each other and attached to the ends of the load. This makes the load an integral part of the structure of the car.

Obviously, the load has to be specially designed for not only its prime function, but to become part of the car.

Hi, Marty -

Schnabel makes the ingenious detached-end cars you describe, but they also make monster depressed center flats with up to 18 axles.

You might find http://home.att.net/~Berliner-Ultrasonics/rrschnb0.html#880tschn of interest  - lots of photos of US and European versions of both types. Either way, they're eye-poppers!  

-Bob

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 5:21pm »

on Jan 19th, 2003, 7:49pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, I don't know for sure if this is the "Most Unusual Car" that I have a shot of, but it was the one that came to my mind first.   I was told that this was a B-52 Simulator that the USAF used.  Would love to see the inside of it.
CHESSIEMIKE

Man, that's one spooky-looking contraption.  (Don't know if I'd believe my own eyes if I saw it.  Looks like two crews started building at opposite ends without consulting each other's plans.)  I assume the big boxy end would be the simulator itself.  Wonder if it's spring mounted to simulate pitch, yaw, etc.  Wouldn't THAT be a sight to see..."If this car's rockin', don't come knockin'..."  

Thanks, CHESSIEMIKE!

-Bob

dustymars
TRAINing
  mobile.jpg - 18538 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 11:18am »

CHESSIEMIKE

This is an old message but after seeing the image I had to reply.  This photograph is actually was a KC-135 Mobile Simulator that the USAF/SAC used.  I was assigned to the B-52 Mobile Simulators from mid-1962 until late 1966 then on the KC-135 Mobile Simulator until early 1968.  From what others tell me the mobile simulator programs went on into the early 1980’s.

Images are 1) B-52 mobile simulator at McCoy AFB, Florida in early 1960’s and 2) KC-135 mobile simulator parked (abandoned) at Eglin AFB, Florida..

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/concourse/mobile.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2005, 11:21am by dustymars » Logged
Chad_Thomas
TRAINing

« Reply #16 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 7:51pm »

Theres a schenable car with load going to Denver right now. There is a thread with photos over at Trainboard:

http://www.trainboard.com/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/25/t/000407/p/1.html

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 10:02pm »

on Apr 11th, 2005, 11:18am, dustymars wrote:       (Click here for original message)

This is an old message but after seeing the image I had to reply.  This photograph is actually was a KC-135 Mobile Simulator that the USAF/SAC used.  I was assigned to the B-52 Mobile Simulators from mid-1962 until late 1966 then on the KC-135 Mobile Simulator until early 1968.  From what others tell me the mobile simulator programs went on into the early 1980’s.
Thanks for the reply dustymars.  Is there any info/interior photos or drawings you can share with us about these cars or their service?  The B-52 dates from the early 50s, when did they start with the Mobile Simulators?  How many of these were built?  Careful with your answers to my questions, they have been known to make me ask more questions!
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
chessie8212
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 12:39am »

That one that sits abandoned at Eglin AFB... when was that taken?  Is it still there?  I have a brother who is in the AF and is being sent to Eglin very soon.

“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.”

Take only photos...
Leave only footprints.
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 1:39am »

Hi Chessie etc.,

If the AF abandoned it on a siding, it probably is still there. Not too much happens quickly with such things.

Your brother will enjoy being stationed at Eglin AFB. The Ft. Walton Beach area is a playground for the neighboring states and cities as a "Miami Beach" of the area. The waters of the Gulf are warm, all year round, and the surf is acceptable. Lots of great hangouts etc. etc. The local scenery (read here young ladies) is excellent. The last time I was there, there were several Watering Holes (bars, nightclubs) at the beachside that would offer essentially a free dinner if you bought drinks. Mostly hot dishes. And a good time was had by all.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »