Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

WESTERN ALLEGHENY RR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   WESTERN ALLEGHENY RR
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: WESTERN ALLEGHENY RR  (Read 245 times)
rratst
TRAINing
WESTERN ALLEGHENY RR

« on: Dec 15th, 2013, 11:02am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I last read about this The WESTERN ALLEGHENY RR in a issue of RAILFAN magazine (Winter issue I think) at some point between 1975- 1999 which is now R&R, anyone know what became of this rail line?

rratst

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: WESTERN ALLEGHENY RR

« Reply #1 on: Dec 18th, 2013, 10:36am »

There are no rails left on it minus a former crossing in Kaylor on PA RT68.

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22nd, 2013, 11:12pm »

on Dec 15th, 2013, 11:02am, rratst wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I last read about this The WESTERN ALLEGHENY RR in a issue of RAILFAN magazine (Winter issue I think) at some point between 1975- 1999 which is now R&R, anyone know what became of this rail line?

rratst

The line was originally owned by the PRR and purchased by the B&LE in 1967. The primary source of revenue was coal. As coal reserves dried up, the B&LE ceased using the line around 1994 and the rails were removed by 2002.

Ron Mele

rnetzlof

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2014, 10:11pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2013, 11:12pm, Ron_Mele wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The line was originally owned by the PRR and purchased by the B&LE in 1967. The primary source of revenue was coal. As coal reserves dried up, the B&LE ceased using the line around 1994 and the rails were removed by 2002.

Ron Mele

Bob Netzlof
rnetzlof

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14th, 2014, 10:20pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2013, 11:12pm, Ron_Mele wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Apologies for the premature /enter/.

Actually, the Western Allegheny did have a life before being bought by the PRR. It also, in the beginning, extended quite a few miles west of the B&LE line. (Part of the route is now submerged under an artificial lake.)

It seems likely that PRR bought the line as part of its continual efforts to find a way to connect with the lines west of Pittsburgh without passing through the Pittsburgh bottle neck. Many suppose that the plan was to connect the eastern end of the Western Allegheny  
to the PRR line on the eastern side of the Allegheny River at East Brady. That would allow traffic to move west from Harrisburg via the Harrisburg - Sunbury - Williamsport - Driftwood - DuBois - Red Bank route. What they would do at the western end of the Western Allegheny is not clear. Maybe they never figured that out either?

Bob Netzlof
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »