Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:33pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Tragedy in Beaver Falls
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Tragedy in Beaver Falls
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Tragedy in Beaver Falls  (Read 326 times)
Ron_Mele
Railfan
Tragedy in Beaver Falls

« on: Jan 8th, 2012, 9:08pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This news article is about a young girl who committed suicide on Norfolk Southern's mainline northwest of Pittsburgh. The article doesn't mention the train crew and what they must be going through now - but it should.

Ron Mele

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/regional/s_775590.html

RailCop
Historian
Re: Tragedy in Beaver Falls

« Reply #1 on: Jan 16th, 2012, 10:16am »

Hi Ron. This is a tragedy here in BF and everyone is totally stunned. I do not know the family personally but know the family name. Taylor, and her twin sister Logan, were very popular at school and everyone loved them.  It's especially sad because she deliberately stepped in front of the train. Only God knows what was going on in her mind. Young folks these days take life way too seriously.  

I also appreciate you mentioning the train crew. The news media rarely even thinks about them, or the first responders who have to deal with an incident like this. The two man train crew was made up of a veteran railroader (no doubt the engineer) and a new man on his second or third solo trip. They had just left Conway 20 or 30 minutes earlier. When I was on the job as a railroad police officer and had to respond to calls like this I would immediately contact the train crew via phone or radio. Then, upon arrival, I would meet with them face to face . Since railroad cops are rarely the first on a scene like this due to the vast patrol territories (local emergency responders usually had the 'emergency' in hand) I would meet the crew and evaluate their condition and stand by while local authorities interviewed them. I made sure the authorities knew the rules and laws governing train operations and would explain train dynamics to them. And I made sure the crew understood "it was NOT their fault". Sometimes the crew would continue on the trip. Sometimes they requested to be relieved. I've had a couple who were so devastated that they required medical attention.  

It's a cruel world we live in. People never plan a tragedy but we must try to be ready for one. Train crews discuss these incidents in their training classes. Any train crew member who completes a career without a fatal incident is extreme lucky. Crossing collisions are the most common, trespasser incidents are second. Of those trespasser incidents, over 70% involve alcohol. And suicides are shockingly common. Very sad.

Let's 'B-Safe' out there,
Kevin
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 10:16am »

on Jan 16th, 2012, 10:16am, RailCop wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I also appreciate you mentioning the train crew. The news media rarely even thinks about them, or the first responders who have to deal with an incident like this. The two man train crew was made up of a veteran railroader (no doubt the engineer) and a new man on his second or third solo trip. They had just left Conway 20 or 30 minutes earlier. When I was on the job as a railroad police officer and had to respond to calls like this I would immediately contact the train crew via phone or radio. Then, upon arrival, I would meet with them face to face . Since railroad cops are rarely the first on a scene like this due to the vast patrol territories (local emergency responders usually had the 'emergency' in hand) I would meet the crew and evaluate their condition and stand by while local authorities interviewed them. I made sure the authorities knew the rules and laws governing train operations and would explain train dynamics to them. And I made sure the crew understood "it was NOT their fault". Sometimes the crew would continue on the trip. Sometimes they requested to be relieved. I've had a couple who were so devastated that they required medical attention.

Amen Kevin.  In the case of ANY suicide, the person who commits is NEVER the only person affected.  This case was essentially the same as "suicide by cop" in the fact that this girl had someone else do her task for her.  LEOs are trained to end a life if needed.  Trains crews are not, not that cops aren't affected by it either.  Is there a formal CISD plan for incidents like this for the train crews?

As far as the girl being well known, it doesn't matter.  As a responder myself, a young life is a young life, plain and simple.  The fact the she was a local to BF area, means that some of those responders, police, ER staff, etc. probably knew her or her family as you stated, so she wasn't just a "random person" that no one knew.

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
edward12
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 8:55am »

knock on wood as i have 25 yrs as a conductor and never had a fatal, but lots of close calls with stupid drivers trying to beat the train at a crossing, only fatal i seen was a few yrs back when a car driver went over a wall and landed on 1 of our industrial tracks, corner said he was at least 12 hrs dead. we came upon this at 11 am so it had to have occured the night before.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »