Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:37pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Kiski Jct to Logansport
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Kiski Jct to Logansport
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Kiski Jct to Logansport  (Read 937 times)
rhotond
Chaser
View Profile  

Kiski Jct to Logansport

« on: Apr 15th, 2011, 2:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This coal feed line from the Rosebud coal mine in logansport was supposed to start this spring.  Does anybody know about the status of the line.  Rail and ties were fully delivered last fall.  NS has upgraded the west leg of the wye at Kiski junction.

r

rotten
thoroughbred_05
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Kiski Jct to Logansport

« Reply #1 on: Apr 16th, 2011, 7:19pm »

Lot's of ballast being put in there by the Etna shifter,I'm hearing late 3rd quarter to early 4th quarter,there may be some action. Loading is going steady at Rosebud- Avonmore,they are loading 2 trains a week,they could do more but NS,can't supply enough trains at this point.

rhotond
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2011, 2:11pm »

Thanks for the info.  Does this mean that the coal from the Logansport mine is trucked to avonmore?  quite a distance.  

Note that the "etna sifter" has not existed for at least two years.  I believe that there is one stationed at West Trentum.

r

rotten
Engine91
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19th, 2011, 3:43pm »

When you say the "Aetna Shifter" I presume you mean an NS local.  I am wondering if you saw it at the interchange or actually dumping ballast on the Kiski Jct.   I visited there last year and the Kiski Crew was uncertain if they would be running over the new track or if the mine would have NS do it.  Just wondering.  The crew was very friendly to railfans on their passenger train.  Even gave me a cab ride while they did a run around.  I hope they get the job of running the coal trains on the line.

jrent234
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19th, 2011, 7:02pm »

Track is layed up to lock&dam no.6  kiski's gp-7 has been running ballast cars along the new track every few days i would expect construction to last well into fall maybe winter. logansport mine has been stockpiling coal for a few weeks

thoroughbred_05
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24th, 2011, 11:30am »

NS,C-39 [Etna shifter] if you want to be technical about it,the crew is based out of Pitcairn.The C-39 is tied down in either West Tarentum,Etna or Island Ave.The 39, placed the cars for KJ,according to a site supervisor for Rosebud,who by the way owns Kiski Junction RR, NS would be handling the loading of trains at Logansport.  I believe,most of the coal coming into Avonmore is coming from a mine somewhere near Shelocta.I'm pretty sure they only have 20 to 30 minute run by truck.

« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2011, 6:54am by thoroughbred_05 » Logged
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10th, 2011, 12:02pm »

Looks like the Kiski is offering passenger trains again:

http://www.kiskijunction.com/

They have a new GP7 and their Alco:

http://www.kiskijunction.com/752gp7m.htmthebigham  

thebigham
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Aug 10th, 2011, 12:06pm »

The enginehouse is to the left of the pushpin here:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qsdjvk8bvc7x&lvl=18.320411536327675&dir=0.66885452295268&sty=b&sp=Point.qsdp6t8bv9sw_Enginehouse____&where1=Schenley%2C%20PA&form=LMLTCC

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11th, 2011, 11:35am »

on Aug 10th, 2011, 12:02pm, thebigham wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Looks like the Kiski is offering passenger trains again:

http://www.kiskijunction.com/

They have a new GP7 and their Alco:

http://www.kiskijunction.com/752gp7m.htmthebigham  

The former operators had the Geep too at least as early as 2007, just never seen it used when I've been there.

Also your link won't work with your user name attached to it:
http://www.kiskijunction.com/752gp7m.htm

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
rhotond
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29th, 2011, 11:08am »

The following information is from a visit on August 27, 2011

1.  KJR  about 3 years ago was bought entirely by the Rosebud mining group. It Operates as a subsidiary.   This probably was about the time they decided to open the mine at logansport and develope the mine

2.  There is only 1 employee and several volunteers.  Employee is the engineer.  

3. New track  is laid all the way to logansport (steel ties)  and is ballasted.  Tamping to come.  The mine has not started any construction on the loader and hence operation of coal trains will probably not commence till the spring /summer 2012 .

4. Six axle locomotive  can use either leg of the wye to the NS conemaugh according to employee/ volunteers.  New ties and ballast to both connections with NS  

5.  about 6 to 10 cars of scrap out of the bagdad plant per week.  Yesterday we picked up 4 high side gons heap loaded with steel stamping remanants.  REAL HEAVY

6.  NS crews will probably be handling the coal trains to and from the mine.

7.  Ballast comes in on a variety of old BK?x hoppers-- about 5 at a time.  One was an old Southern two door 50 tonner.  

r

rotten
thoroughbred_05
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10th, 2012, 6:31am »

Source tells me,they are looking to load in about 3 weeks [ approx. begining of March ] 64 car train,push-pull from logansport to Indiana 22.  East leg of wye is out of service,has been since early Oct, a single 6 axle was attempting to use the wye to turn and went on the ground.Guess the east leg is not good for a 6 axle,after all.

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2012, 6:40am by thoroughbred_05 » Logged
railfan56
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12th, 2012, 6:48pm »

They said there was a train at I-22 last night and the guy that augers the coal at Homer City told me they were starting tomorrow bringing coal up from I-22.My brother-in-law works for Rosebud at Worthington(Long Run) mine I think it's called and he said they were maybe putting the rail into it?Where would the I-22 train be from yesterday? That's the first for a long time.I used to pass the I-22 everyday ,but don't get by as often.Thanks.

thoroughbred_05
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15th, 2012, 11:18am »

That train, was contracted for Amfire Mining ,the company that operated I-22 before Rosebud.The train was loaded at Emerald Mine Near Waynesburg,Pa I understand it was one of 12,Amfire will get out of Emerald, this year for Homer City.

railfan56
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Feb 29th, 2012, 5:58pm »

I was in Blairsville this AM and the NS engines were west of the crossing on Main St.,later in the day I passed I-22 and Rosebud's trucks were hauling towards Homer City.They had a train load under the stacker.Was this a Logansport load?Thanks for the info on the Amfire loads.

railfan56
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Mar 1st, 2012, 7:08pm »

I got the question answered this am about the train at I-22.I stopped at Homer City Sheetz this am for a coffee and John that works at I-22 said that was an Amfire train and they unloaded it and it was returning to be reloaded and back to I-22.The Rosebud train if I remember is supposed to be on the 8th.John works for Rosebud.

thoroughbred_05
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Apr 3rd, 2012, 6:38am »

They started loading @ Logansport , there has been about 3 runs made so far. 64 ECP rapid dump hoppers,2 Gevo on east end ,1 on west end.KJ crew loads train,NS crews taxi to Schenley for train,then go over west leg of wye for headroom west of CP Kiski,then go east to Indiana 22,then return to Kiski. Trains are supposed to run on Monday-Wednesday - Friday.

edward12
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 8:43am »

First train to rosebud mine ran in march 2012 over the new line, there is a vid of it on youtube running past the old kelly station, they had 2 locomotives on the front & 1 on the rear, going up with the emptys,, think they are still in the process of building the run around track north of the rosebud mine, as that way they will not need a unit on the rear, all i can say iks conrail made a big mistake in the late 1980s by tearing out that line as when that happened some people built homes along that former right away, and now they got corked good.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »