Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:55pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Grade on NS Keystone Branch (Shelocta  
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Grade on NS Keystone Branch (Shelocta    (Read 292 times)
rhotond
Chaser
View Profile  

« on: Aug 25th, 2010, 8:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

With NS running 155 car coal trains to shelocta (22,000+ tons)  with 3 SD -70 m's, the grade grade north of Jackson Station comes into play.  With the 113,000 pounds of te for the SD70,  this would indicate a grade of 0.75%  which is a lot less than would be indicate by the articulated steam engines B&O used on this line.

Does any body know the ruling grade on this line.  The NS pgh division rulebook does not give any tonage ratings for this branch.

rotten
Jim_O.
Historian
Re: Grade on NS Keystone Branch (Shelocta  

« Reply #1 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 2:39pm »

Facing the loaded trains coming into Parkwood it's about 4 miles of 1%. Parkwood is the summit, then a quick drop of about 1.5% into Shelocta. Remember that back in the day, this was only the 1st of grades facing loaded trains heading north. There's Barton Hill just north of Marion Center and Locust Hill just south of Juneau. These grades were also steeper on the downhill side for the loaded nothbound trains. Last I heard, which has been awhile, they were using GE's on the Shelocta trains.

Jim O.
edhorm
Enthusiast

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 6:50pm »

I just saw the loaded Shelocta train minutes ago and it was powered by 3 GEVO's.

Edward W. Horm
thoroughbred_05
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 7:31am »

Most of the time it's 2 gevo's on head end,two gevo's tie on the rearend at Salts,power for the helper move is kept at Avonmore. Gevo's are used due to ECP train sets on most of the Shelocta moves,EMD's are not equipped with ECP controls,usually not more than 130 loads though. The helper jobs at this point, are crewed out of Pitcairn,hope this clears that up. I did have a chart of the grades for the Keystone,but I can't put my hands on it, I'll keep looking.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »