Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:44pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

NS Conemaugh new siding
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   NS Conemaugh new siding
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: NS Conemaugh new siding  (Read 419 times)
rhotond
Chaser
View Profile  

NS Conemaugh new siding

« on: Aug 17th, 2010, 8:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Reviewing the agreements from Penn Dot for the Route 28 "improvement"  I came across an agreement that NS would get 13,000 feet of New track to "stage coal trains" since the Conemaugh line would be single tracked for many months from Penn (pittsburgh) to Etna.

The NS chose to have this new track laid from West Leechburgh west to the vicinity of Freeport Junction.  With this additional track they would have over 20,000 ft of "double" on the largely single track Conemaugh.  This also could serve as a coal train storage for the soon to open (Jan 11) extension of the old buffalo line to the Rosebud Logansport Line  

Question   WAS THIS TRACK PUT IN??  or did Penn DOT see through NS's ruse?? I know this part of the conemaugh is largelly inaccessable.

rotten
thoroughbred_05
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: NS Conemaugh new siding

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 7:40am »

That siding has been talked about for a while , I think it's just a rumor. The MOW has been putting in new rail on the west leg of the wye at Kiski, this week . Ns,did work on Sharp siding,tieing it in with 101 at Etna,and moving Etna interlocking west,this has enabled Ns to store 130 car trains on Sharp siding. On another note it looks like they are getting ready to lay new track at the area just railroad east of the old Cp Herr.

fquig
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 7:21pm »

As mentioned in the initial post the Conemaugh is single track in the area east of the old CP Herr.  It appears that there is a long section of pre-built track sitting on top of the out of operation track there.  I believe this is an area where the track will be moved away from RT 28 to accomodate the improvements .

thoroughbred_05
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:28am »

That is correct,it appears the grading is complete and all equipment has been moved off to the side. There are about six or seven MOW gons in on the out of service main 1,near the old Clark Candy bldg. The gons are full of ties and track panels.Although,there has not been any talk of when they may start laying track,it looks ready. Could be waiting for a Gang to show from somewhere else on the system.

pittarea
Enthusiast

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:20pm »

Has the mine opened up north of Schnley Junction?
Where they have been installing the new rail.

Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27th, 2010, 3:54pm »

on Nov 25th, 2010, 8:20pm, pittarea wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Has the mine opened up north of Schnley Junction?
Where they have been installing the new rail.

The mine is already in operation and the coal is moving by truck. The new rail line will elliminate, or sharply reduce, the truck traffic.

thoroughbred_05
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 6:04pm »

There has been about six miles of new track laid between Schenley and the prep plant at Logansport,they are projecting loading trains late spring to early summer.It is going to be NS's work ,I hear.

rhotond
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23rd, 2011, 7:36am »

The conemaugh line has been operating on the relocated (about 50 feet toward the river)  track 1 between the former "herr"  and about 1/4 mile (new intermediate signals) east of 31st street in pittsburgh.  The #2 track is now out of service (and signals dark)  in this area.  Track is being selectively removed so that the 28 relocation contractor can work on sewers etc underneath.  

The #2 track will be relocated about 50 feet closer to the river when work is completed.  The alignment of the #1 track provides room for a potential "101" track in the future (now a high speed route for 'rentensburger cabs'.

r

rotten
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »