Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:51pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

PRR Signals along Rt 28 Gone.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: PRR Signals along Rt 28 Gone.  (Read 401 times)
edhorm
Enthusiast

« on: Jun 4th, 2010, 5:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The PRR signals at Federal St. (AlleghenyCenter) and the two just East of the Heinz Plant (HERR) haved been removed.

Edward W. Horm
fquig
Railfan
Re: PRR Signals along Rt 28 Gone.

« Reply #1 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 9:18pm »

I have been watching those signals at Herr for over 50 years.

Can anyone direct me to a site that explains the indications shown on the new signals about a mile east of Herr?

Frank

PRR5503
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jun 8th, 2010, 5:28am »

on Jun 7th, 2010, 9:18pm, fquig wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have been watching those signals at Herr for over 50 years.

Can anyone direct me to a site that explains the indications shown on the new signals about a mile east of Herr?

Frank

I've been color-blind for 50 years, so an explanation won't help me at-all ~ now living in CSX-territory, I have noticed that I can distinguish Green from the other aspects at-night, but from dawn to dusk, I am helpless

' formerly' Milepost 322 of the late, great Pennsylvania Railroad.
rhotond
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15th, 2010, 7:52am »

There is more to this.    

Federal street signals are gone but the bridges remain.  The main line signals are across the river at 353 opposite the convention center

Herr interlocking (switches and signals) are gone although the bridges remain

A new set of bidirectional automatics the approaches to Penn and Etna are located about 1/2 east of old herr.  This makes the approach to Penn about 2.6 miles and 2 miles to etna.

Etna interlocking has been moved about 1000 ft west.  This allows an 'extended'  sharp siding with a length of about 8000 feet-- enough to hold a 140 car train. New signals and double crossovers are at the "new etna"

Sharp has been realigned so that the straight track to the single is the #1 to allow higher eastbound speed.  Both Sharp siding and the #2 main diverge at the old location.  Eastbound signals (three) are on an overhead cantilever.  

Note that when I last saw the new "etna"  they still had the old crossovers to the 'class yard" (2 tracks east).  These crossovers would be entirelly within the sharp to etna block so I suspect that they will be removed.  

Note that the alignment at sharp allows for a futuer lead to the brilliant bridge and the two short sidings that the AVR has put there.   Does this portend the end of the line through East liberty and penn station.

r

rotten
Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16th, 2010, 8:02pm »

on Jun 15th, 2010, 7:52am, rhotond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There is more to this.    
Note that the alignment at sharp allows for a further lead to the brilliant bridge and the two short sidings that the AVR has put there.   Does this portend the end of the line through East liberty and penn station.

There was a plan in place in the late 70s to do just that. I think former Pittsburgh mayor Pete Flaherty was a major proponent of the idea. The plan was to shift all rail traffic over the Brilliant Branch and bridge and a new Amtrak station would be built on the north side - probably around where the old Federal Street station was located. The plan was opposed by local commuter rail supporters who were, and still are, pushing for a revival of commuter trains into downtown Pittsburgh. It will be interesting to see what develops.

Ron Mele

edhorm
Enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20th, 2010, 3:39pm »

Dosen't the Brilliant Bridge now belong to AVR? And is currently single tracked? Wouldn't that create a bottle neck?

Edward W. Horm
Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21st, 2010, 10:33pm »

on Jun 20th, 2010, 3:39pm, edhorm wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Dosen't the Brilliant Bridge now belong to AVR? And is currently single tracked? Wouldn't that create a bottle neck?

True on both counts. But, if the Brilliant Branch and bridge were to be reactivated as a bypass route-which it was originally constructed to be - NS would probably make AVR an offer they couldn't refuse. And, since the bridge was constructed for double track, adding the second track wouldn't pose a problem.

Ron Mele

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22nd, 2010, 7:50am »

I read somewhere that at least one of the piers of the bridge is sub par.  I don't know how "official" the post was.

Also, I took someone to Allegheny General last week.  While passing by the new signals, I noted a restricting aspect lit going both directions on the same track (closest to 28).  How is this possible?

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2010, 7:51am by EMTRailfan » Logged

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »