Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:30pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New Castle Industrial Railroad
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New Castle Industrial Railroad  (Read 467 times)
tcwright973
Enthusiast
  IM000517.jpg - 182180 Bytes
« on: Sep 19th, 2006, 1:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Last Saturday I sort of stumbled across this neat little railroad while looking for things of interest in New Castle. Looks like they take a lot of pride in their operation as the two locomotives I saw, a B23-7 & a GP-9, had very nice paint schemes and looked very clean. Can anyone provide more information on this railroad?

Tom

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (182180 bytes, 1600x1200 pixels)

Click Here to View Image IM000517.jpg - 182180 Bytes

Ron_Mele
Railfan
Re: New Castle Industrial Railroad

« Reply #1 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 5:00pm »

on Sep 19th, 2006, 1:33pm, tcwright973 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Last Saturday I sort of stumbled across this neat little railroad while looking for things of interest in New Castle. Looks like they take a lot of pride in their operation as the two locomotives I saw, a B23-7 & a GP-9, had very nice paint schemes and looked very clean. Can anyone provide more information on this railroad?

Tom

I co-wrote an article about the NCIR that appeared in the Jan 2002 issue of Railpace Magazine. If you can find a copy, it will tell you just about everything you'd want to know about their operation. In brief, the railroad was started in the early 90s by Dale Berkley, a former employee of the P&LE. They serve several steel processors, scrap dealers, and railroad car rebuild and repair operations.  The railroad, a combination of former segments of the PRR, P&LE, B&O, and Erie, operates 2 crews a day, five days a week.  And yes, they are very proud of their operation. If you can't find the magazine, e-mail me at rmeg1@integrity.com and I will send you a photo copy.

Ron Mele

trainman911
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 8:29pm »

Get your pics of the Super 7 while you can! There might be a new addition to the NCIR within the week.

Ross
KB3QYI
tcwright973
Enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 9:46pm »

Trainman911

Are you referring to #77, the GP-9?

Tom

trainman911
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 7:52am »

There should be another gp-9m headed that way within the week. It will have a "Pittsburgh" feel to it.

Ross
KB3QYI
wle1768
Enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 2:25pm »

Could this be POC GP9M 4032, which was seen WB on CSX train Q640 yesterday?

trainman911
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 7:40pm »

on Sep 22nd, 2006, 2:25pm, wle1768 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Could this be POC GP9M 4032, which was seen WB on CSX train Q640 yesterday?  

"Could be"

Ross
KB3QYI
edhorm
Enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29th, 2006, 6:16pm »

P&OC 4032 was the unit in service today (Sept.29th) on the NCI. I was told they were "Trying the unit out" and if all works well they may work out a trade with OC for the 4032. OC would get the Super 7 unit from NCI.

Edward W. Horm
trainman911
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 9:22am »

It should work out really well for them. It was a good running locomotive.

Ross
KB3QYI
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 12:45pm »

What ever came of the RS11?

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 8:16pm »

ron Feb 10th, 2007, 12:45pm, towny72 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What ever came of the RS11?

I think it suffered some major mechanical failure and was sold for scrap.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 11:39am »

Thats sad, I know FM/Alco still cranks out complete 251's with modern day electronics....Sad to see these old girls go to scrap. I know the 251 is better on fuel, and has better power then old geeps7's 9's 18's....

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13th, 2009, 2:05pm »

Sad, almost two years to the day since the last post in this board. It seems the entire Railfan site is suffering much as the current economy! Well I did a little fanning in NC this week and the NIRR was out and about.  I found a old railcrane off of Industrial St. Anybody know the history of this unit? I would guess this is the old P&LE crane with the ties of the NIRR and the P&LE.......

brandon1282
TRAINing

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13th, 2009, 6:07pm »

The derreck is a 250 ton industrial brown hoist.  It is ex-CR, ex-PC, ex-NYC and was based out of Buffalo, NY.  Originally built as a steam derrick, it is now powered by a Cat Diesel engine. It was donated by Conrail to the now defunct Western Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society and was to be part of museum to be constructed near the current site of UN tower.  However, due to lack of funding man power and co-operation of some of the NIRR management, the group and idea of the museum kind of fell apart.  We it arrived on the property the crane did operatate quite well.  The main block (hook) though was removed by Conrail at some point prior to donation.    Not really sure as to what is the current state of derreck or who is actually the owner.  Just hope it doesn't get scraped where it sits.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Feb 16th, 2009, 8:15pm »

Two questions about the GP9ms. First would be did NIRR get cash along with the GP9 in the trade? I would say there is a bit of price diff in a GP9 and a super 7? Second would be the chop nose, it looks like they used or copied a alco century cab for the face?

LL1060
Chaser

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18th, 2009, 9:46pm »

About the chopnose jobs on both units:

Number 77, judging by how it still carries numberboards and headlight on its nose, is an ex-WM unit; while 4032 is an ex-CN unit; going by the pointed front cab wall (as opposed to a flat one on EMD's factory low noses or the majority of nose chops).

Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Apr 19th, 2009, 9:02pm »

on Apr 18th, 2009, 9:46pm, LL1060 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
About the chopnose jobs on both units:

Number 77, judging by how it still carries numberboards and headlight on its nose, is an ex-WM unit; while 4032 is an ex-CN unit; going by the pointed front cab wall (as opposed to a flat one on EMD's factory low noses or the majority of nose chops).

Actually, #77 was originally a Bangor & Aroostook unit. But, you're right about it looking like a WM unit.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 6:51pm »

Anything new with the NIRR? Past few times I have passed through all seems quiet.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #18 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 9:14am »

on Nov 29th, 2010, 6:51pm, towny72 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Anything new with the NIRR? Past few times I have passed through all seems quiet.

I tried to reply last night, but RF.net crashed for some reason and I couldn't get back on.  One of the NCIR crew members told me when I rode in the cab with him at Mahonningtown Days that the NCIR runs 2 daylight crews Mon-Fri under "normal" circumstances, if there is such a thing, lol.

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 12:41pm »

Good to hear they still run 2 crews. I am amazed everytime im around New Castle that they still have a railroad. Its not what it once was.......

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »