Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:36pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Buffalo & Pittsburgh
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Buffalo & Pittsburgh
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Buffalo & Pittsburgh  (Read 15704 times)
thebigham
Historian
Re: Buffalo & Pittsburgh

« Reply #80 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 10:10am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 26th, 2007, 9:05pm, JasonV wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This is in reference to B&P tunnel at Sabula... and the s tunnel above and south of it...  does anyone have any good history on these..  

I'm curious why the top one was curved.

J

A link to a topo map of the tunnels:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=41.15612&lon=-78.65583&s=24&size=m&symshow=n&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

The tunnel south of the current B&P one in Sabula is exBuffalo & Susquehanna.  

The B&S also had two other tunnels: one in Dubois and one in West Liberty.

PW_Matt
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #81 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 6:34pm »

on Mar 12th, 2007, 12:36pm, MGtrainut wrote:       (Click here for original message)
the B&P only goes as far south on the P&W as Bakerstown.  The AVR meets them here to interchange cars.  Sometimes if one is lucky, both railroads will be at the interchange at the same time.  I usually catch the AVR at Bakerstown very late at night, several times a week.  I have not been lucky engough to catch the B&P there yet  .  Perhaps Matt can lend some advice, as I  know he has managed to see some intersting happenings around there.

The only time I've ever seen the B&P at Bakerstown was when the AVR brought a unit train of empty hopper in for interchange and the train was longer than the siding so they had to pick up the train.  The AVR has been running in day light lately either 8 in the morning or 3-4 in the afternoon as well as one on friday night sometime around 11.  Since I live south (east by railroad standards) of Bakerstown I can only hear the AVR.   It is my understanding that the B&P leaves Butler at 11 Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings and doesn't arive at Bakerstown until 2 or 3 in the morning depending on where they have to switch.  Hope this helps

P&W Matt

K4s 1361
Railfan

« Reply #82 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 7:38pm »

Hmm! saw something wierd today (3-22-07) a B&P rail inspection truck was at Clearfield County Penn dot Engineering District office.

Wonder whats wrong? I did not think PennDot had a whole lot of say in Rail operations.

I wish i was there when steam ruled the rails!!

The Brickleys from Germany Originals since 1750.
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #83 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:20am »

Sad to say but yes Penndot isnt just roads, they have a lil say in rail and air and they might have a lil say in shipping. Actually what most likely was going on is crossing, bridges etc talk. PennDot comes to visit us from time to time about those topics, and we inreturn visit them sometimes for the same things. If your working on a state road crossing, gotta have PennDots blessing!

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
PW_Matt
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #84 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 5:42pm »

Another question... I was wondering what times the B&P operates, I know they really don't have a "schedule" but at this moment are they leaveing Butler or New Castle at a set time?  Also, does the B&P use defect detectors or dragging equipment detectors and where are they at?

Thanks in advance

P&W Matt

OC@T Fan
Enthusiast

« Reply #85 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 6:39pm »

Does the BPRR come in to New Castle on CSX Trackage??

May 75 sound in the Oil Creek Valley FOREVER!
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #86 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 7:36pm »

P&W,

The only "set" time that I can help with is that the BT-3 leaves Butler M-F and occassional Sun. approx 1000 and returns anywhere between 1600-1800.  BT-3 is the Petrolia refineries local that runs the old B&O Northern Sub.  As far as detectors, I've never heard them, not to say that they aren't there.  I'm curious too.

OC&T,

BPRR uses their own track from Butler to Eidenau and then CSX trackage from Eidenau to New Castle.  Pretty sure that Eidenau to New Castle is the northern part of the "P&W" Sub.  Matt can probably tell you that for sure.

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2007, 7:37pm by EMTRailfan » Logged

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

PSR/Sligo Branch Abandonment
  PSR-Sligo_Abandonment_Web.jpg - 239811 Bytes
« Reply #87 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 6:44pm »

Scanned from the Clarion News, 29March2007 edition.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/PSR-Sligo_Abandonment_Web.jpg
Click Image to Resize

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #88 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 10:27pm »

I wonder if this will effect the talks with RJC and B&P about conecting the two railroads. Seems NS is upping to cost alot for hauling coal, and since the B&P and Corman are only a short distance apart some local officals are thinking of connecting the two on some abandoned road bed. Dirrect connect with the Clearfield area coal fields and Indiana.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #89 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 10:46pm »

I think RJC just pulled up the line from Curwensville to C&M Jct. not too long ago.  Would they re-lay it?  I like trains and railroads regardless, but I also like to see the regionals/shortlines proving a point too.    

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #90 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 8:33am »

Well from what I understand this wasnt RJCs idea. Sounds like local officals are wanting to get around NS's prices. RJC and B&P have talked about this and to what extent I couldnt say. Might be nothing more then a quick chat while talking about something else. I know with the ethanol plant coming to RJC rails this would be great for the B&P as well as RJC.

PW_Matt
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #91 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 11:12am »

B&P does own from Butler to Eidenau then they leased the P&W sub from Bakerstown to West Pittsburg yard near New Castle where it meets the former Pittsburgh & Lake Erie now owned by CSX.

Also I was able to answer my own question about dragging equipment detectors, I found one on the line between Butler and Evans City right beside the Ash Pit road grade crossing a few miles east of Evans City off of Rt. 68

Hope this helps.

Matt

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #92 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 10:15pm »

Matt,

Any freqs. on the detectors?  I have 4 repeater freqs. that I monitor BPRR PA system wide plus the engine freqs. to the repeaters and haven't heard anything on them for detectors.  Wouldn't Evans City be the P&W?  Could it be a CSX detector that you found?

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
PW_Matt
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #93 on: Apr 1st, 2007, 11:54am »

I haven't heard this detector on the scanner yet, I must just be out range here in Gibsonia.  And ment to say its on the line between Butler and Eidnau, sorry for the mistake it was deffinatly a B&P detector.  The closest city would be Evans City but I guess if you found it on a map it would be nearer to Connequenessing.  I you travel east on Rt. 68 from Evans City towards Butler, 68 will cross over the tracks on a bridge,  its maybe a mile east on the tracks from that spot.  Sorry for the confussion and I hope this helps.

Matt

splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #94 on: Apr 1st, 2007, 2:24pm »

I have heard this detector several times in the past but it seems only when it malfunctions and repeats itself constantly.   It sounds off as "Ash Top", on the main channel 160.785.  Actually gets annoying until I lock it out.   I can pick it up from here at home in SW Cranberry.

Paul

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #95 on: Apr 1st, 2007, 7:52pm »

I monitor that freq.  I must be just not setting up close enough to detectors to hear them.  I've only fanned Butler-Renfrew, BT-3, the Dubois Yard, and WAER.  I've heard BT-1 using that while switching in Butler, the BT-3 uses when getting on and leaving the Northern Sub, plus I can hear BP Disp. from home on it.  I have also heard CSX AS Jacksonville Disp. on it, so is it also a CSX freq., or was what I heard BTNC or RINC getting orders from CSX?

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #96 on: Apr 1st, 2007, 7:53pm »

The BP leases the P&W sub from Duncan Ave. to P&W Jct. at New Castle. They only operate to Bakerstown, however, as there is no other place to interchange with the AVR. There are no more detectors on the entire P&W sub. The only one was taken out of service when the signals were removed. This detector was at Downieville (?) near Mars, between 84 Lumber and Austins. The only detector on the "branch" (between Eidenau and Butler) is at Ashstop Rd.  Ashstop is the correct name. The next detector is at Lucasville, near Carbon Center, North of Butler. Detector locations are listed in the BP timetable. I have no clue where mine is. The detectors transmit on the assigned road channel on defect only, or as is more common, during malfunctions. I do not know the frequencies. The road channel for this area is channel 5, or AAR 45 45. The other road channel is channel 1 AAR 08 08, which is used North of Punxsy. Homer city crews use channel 5. I know a few of you guys are on the BP Yahoo Groups page. For those who are not, you should join. There is alot of information there as well.

caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #97 on: Apr 1st, 2007, 7:57pm »

Forgot to mention, Butler yard crews (BT-1, BT-2) use channel 3 AAR 28 28 in the yard. BT-3 also uses this channel while switching in Karns City and Petrolia.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #98 on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 9:09am »

When I heard the Yard crew (BT-1 or 2?) on 45/45, BT-3 was also there hooking on and building the air to leave for the Northern Sub on 28/28.  Maybe the moved to diff. channel to save walking on each other?

Here is what I have:  Disp/engines
14/08  160.320/160.230-->Main North of Rikers
45/??  160.785/.---->Main South of Rikers
12/90  160.290/161.460--->A&E Line
70/42  161.160/160.470--->Shawmut Line
28/28  160.530  Butler Crews switching

I have heard DB-1 switching on 08/08
"   "   "     WAER     "     "   12/12
And as stated above, BT-1/2 on 45/45.

When DB-1 contacted dispatch for some head room on the main, the dispatch also came back over 08.  Same with BT-3 contacting dispatch, only 45.

I can hear B&P Disp. on 12 (A&E), 45 (S. of Rikers), and 70 (P&S) from my house in Knox, PA.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
PVMRR76
Historian
  HCcoalMP15s_copy.jpg - 126757 Bytes
« Reply #99 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:20pm »

Caught MP-15s  #1506 and 1507 dragging a short sting of loaded hoppers up the spur to Homer City Generating Station this morning. Sounded good blasting the cool air in notch 8.

Bloody Fuji wouldn't focus- made me miss the shot I really wanted!!!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/HCcoalMP15s_copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »