Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:56pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Buffalo & Pittsburgh
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Buffalo & Pittsburgh
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Buffalo & Pittsburgh  (Read 15715 times)
Jim_O.
Historian
Re: Buffalo & Pittsburgh

« Reply #20 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:49am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Man... must have missed the HC train in the trees somewhere. Flew the line the whole way north to Punxy and south again around 9am cutting over to Shelocta... really hard to see some areas with all the trees.

Jim O.
rnetzlof

« Reply #21 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:45pm »

That's why they call it Penn's Woods.

Bob Netzlof
trainman911
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 6:01pm »

I was through Ridgway and Brockway over the weekend and noticed on Rt 28 (Main St) in Brockway the road crossing was redone with new pavment and concrete slabs. There is only one track across the road now.  

In Ridgway on the A&E branch over Rt 120 there were concrete slabs and the road was marked where the crossing is going to be refurbished.  

A little farther east on the A&E, construction started on the building at the new siding that was put in last year. Looks like they will have room for 2 cars on spot at the building dock.

RJ

Ross
KB3QYI
trainman911
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 7:21pm »

Here is an article from the Ridgway Record regarding the building on the A&E Branch of the B&P in Ridgway.

P/M warehouse to go off Front Street  
Monday, July 31, 2006 12:55 PM EDT

A new building under construction will contain a raw materials warehouse for the powdered metals industry.  

Material will arrive at the 85-foot by 220-foot structure by railroad, due to a set of tracks debarking from the main rail line to which they briefly run parallel at the facility off Front Street near a PENNDOT site. The facility will then distribute the materials to plants.  

Borough Manager Marty Schuller, in review of a building application, said the tracks were laid with Buffalo and Pittsburgh Railroad to service the warehouse, which will operate similar to a facility in St. Marys also owned by B or P Realty.  

The warehouse, he said, may be operating by the first of the year.  

The powdered metals industry has, according to the Metal Powder Industries Federation, sales in North America estimated at $5 billion. The most common raw materials used within the field include iron and steel, tin, nickel, copper, aluminum and titanium, as well as refractory metals such as tungsten, molybdenum and tantalum.  

The state Department of Environmental Protection has, at numerous points in recent history, recognized the powdered metals industry's leading role in developing technologies which promote interaction with the environment and recycle pollution.  

Many leading firms in the industries are located in or near Elk County, and as an industrial sector the powdered metals firm remains one of the region's leading employers.  

Ross
KB3QYI
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 10:31pm »

So with the conector finished and NS bringing in coal what does this spell for BP hauling out to the power plant?

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
rnetzlof

« Reply #25 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 11:10pm »

Nothing.

NS hauled coal to Shelocta (Keystone Plant) and still does.

B&P has been hauling coal to Homer City (don't know the name of the plant) and still does.

It wil, however, mean two fewer trains per day (more or less) on the B&P from Freeport to Creekside via Mosgrove and Punxsutawney.

Bob Netzlof
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 12:42am »

Homer City Generating Station, or Homer City Station for short, is the name and it means B&P can now run to the plant when they want.  3 trains made round trips in 24 hours on Saturday.

I'm sure they'll have some more surprises up their sleeves.

Jim O.
kennstation
Enthusiast

« Reply #27 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 7:28am »

three trains in 24 hours? Wow.... Any more word on additional, non-coal traffic being generated on this line? Hope to get out there this weekend; haven't  seen a train in Indiana since August of '93.. a one-car delivery to halliburton....

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Sep 29th, 2006, 8:56am »

Crossing work looks to be coming in Renfrew. Marking on the road, seems that underground utils are marked...... Second Does anybody know if BP serves B.E.A.R Metalurgical?

PVMRR76
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Sep 29th, 2006, 7:02pm »

A couple of points about the B&P Homer City trains. I live about a mile from the Homer City Generating Station. B&P runs most trains down to the plant well after dark. Many times around midnight. The return trip goes back between 5:30 and 7:30 am. They run like this to appease the anti-railroad folks in downtown Indiana. There are daylight trians- I always miss them though. Once they pump the air up on the train below the generating station, the trains make quick work of the five miles to Indiana. This train almost always has four GP-38's in a mishmash of faded paint. They just finished putting a new dark green roof on the old BR&P station in Indiana. The coal trains run right behind the station.
A very good restaurant and lounge operates 7 days a week there, and the interior has much memoribilia.

PVMRR76
Historian
  BP_206_copy.jpg - 82689 Bytes
« Reply #30 on: Sep 29th, 2006, 7:06pm »

Hey Kennstation. I wonder if we saw the same train in 1993. The only photos I ever took on the Indiana Sub of the B&P was of GP-9 # 206 spotting a cement car at the Halliburton plant. The photo was taken a dusk on August 8th or 9th 1993! Check it out.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/BP_206_copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

PVMRR76
Historian
  IMG_0846_copy.jpg - 86224 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Sep 29th, 2006, 7:16pm »

I know I'm a year late with these pix, but her is a shot of the Dedication Day Special on its way to Homer City in July 2005. The train is crossing Indain Springs Road, just south of Indiana.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/IMG_0846_copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

PVMRR76
Historian
  IMG_0855_copy.jpg - 80968 Bytes
« Reply #32 on: Sep 29th, 2006, 7:20pm »

The Dedication Day Special runs through a farm near the junction with the Homer City Generating Station spur. I had to snag my photos on the fly between calls for my job.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/IMG_0855_copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

kennstation
Enthusiast

« Reply #33 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 6:45am »

on Sep 29th, 2006, 7:06pm, PVMRR76 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Kennstation. I wonder if we saw the same train in 1993. The only photos I ever took on the Indiana Sub of the B&P was of GP-9 # 206 spotting a cement car at the Halliburton plant. The photo was taken a dusk on August 8th or 9th 1993! Check it out.

PVMRR76- The train I saw was on October 15, '93... delivered a carload of sand or cement; there was already one car there, which it did not pick up... instead, it returned to riker light... this did allow for the possibility of a two-car train in another week or so- an above average move in those days!  I have a few low quality photos of GP-9#201 moving some gons around kovalchick in late 92.. no idea how to scan those.... ken

PVMRR76
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 9:07am »

I've always wanted to photograph a train on the high trestle over RT119 & Two Lick Creek. In the 80's & 90's I saw a couple trains on the bridge, but could not photograph them. I really wanted to see that huge transformer go over it this spring,however I had to work. The photos in the Indiana Gazette only showed the Schnabel car, and I haven't seen any photos showing other parts of the rail move.
P.S. The Homer City Coal train came in at 12:25 and left at 7:24 am this morning.

Jim_O.
Historian
  1507_Lucerne.jpg - 44532 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Sep 30th, 2006, 11:28pm »

Here you go...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/1507_Lucerne.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
PVMRR76
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 12:20am »

A knew a man with a caboose would have a photo of this move! Thanks for posting it. I was actually caught  about a mile back toward Indiana in stopped traffic when the train rolled over the bridge.
Bill G.

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2006, 8:46am by PVMRR76 » Logged
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 11:04am »

great pics guys,,,,,I love seeing the B&P still using the MP15DC's in differnt roles!

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Oct 1st, 2006, 4:34pm »

Bill, Great to have you aboard. Hopefully there are a lot more changes coming in our little corner of the world...

Jim O.
PVMRR76
Historian
  05-02-1904BRPINDIANA1st_copy.jpg - 75705 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:36pm »

Hello! It's time for something OLD. A photo from Buffalo & Pittsburgh's great granddad -The Buffalo Rochester & Pittsburgh RR.  
The back of this great old photo reads: " The first B.R.&P. passenger train into Indiana, PA May 2nd, 1904."

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/05-02-1904BRPINDIANA1st_copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »