Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Buffalo & Pittsburgh
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Buffalo & Pittsburgh
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Buffalo & Pittsburgh  (Read 15702 times)
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Buffalo & Pittsburgh
  09_GandW_7803_GP9.jpg - 52532 Bytes
« Reply #120 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 8:25am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here is a pic of the interior of the BV Shops that I took.  Sorry for the excellent quality.    You can barely make out the opposite end of the shop.  I don't have a full exterior pic of the shop to give the real perspective of the size.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/09_GandW_7803_GP9.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

DSC_0013_3.jpg - 191875 Bytes
« Reply #121 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 9:17pm »

Started off a sunny Sunday by hearing The AshStop detector go off, so headed north.  Later,  heard this train talking to the Dispatcher at the "Chainworks"  (where exactly is this).  Heard him call  his arrival time at New Castle,  then a  SLOW ride south because it took a while to get to Eidenau.  
453, 451 and 459 doing 10 mph on the west leg of the Y with a string of empty hoppers.

Paul

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (191875 bytes, 968x650 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DSC_0013_3.jpg - 191875 Bytes

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #122 on: May 6th, 2007, 9:41pm »

Tons of ties all along 8 in Glennshaw. The crossing in Etna was closed and currenly being replaced this evening. CSX is dumping come cash into the  line.. And I am not sure why

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #123 on: May 6th, 2007, 9:59pm »

The Glenshaw and Etna areas are the AVR, not the BP. CSX has nothing to do with this trackage anymore, other than owning it. CSX does not maintain or operate it. The work being done is most likely being done with a contractor using state funds, which is how the AVR and BP finance most of their track maintenance. The AVR is required to maintain the trackage to certain standards. Contrary to reports I have seen, there has been NO CSX trains on this line between Glenwood and New Castle since the BP and AVR took over their portions. The only detours have been Amtrak (3 trains I think) when the NS had their nasty ethanol derailment in New Brighton last October.

fquig
Railfan

« Reply #124 on: May 6th, 2007, 10:14pm »

As of about 9:00 tonight it appeared that GW Peoples, a rail contractor was wrapping up its work on the Etna crossing.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #125 on: May 9th, 2007, 8:58pm »

1. I drove past the crossing work Sun night, monday it was done and open for traffic, 2. where is the dividing line from AVR and BP?

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #126 on: May 10th, 2007, 7:54am »

I'm fairly certain that they interchange at Bakerstown, which is a few miles north of the Turnpike and a mile or so west of Rt 8.  I think at least the B&P PW-1 goes there late at night at about midnight or so.  Not sure about AVR.

Unrelated, I was leaving UPMC Passevant Monday the 7th after dropping someone off, and there was a high-rail boom truck and tender cart backing south on the AVR from the Sample Rd. crossing in the evening.  Heard they were replacing ties.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
PW_Matt
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #127 on: May 10th, 2007, 9:30am »

The AVR and B&P does interchange in Bakerstown.  I read in an earlier post that the B&P owns to Duncan Ave. grade crossing, however I know that the grade crossing at Rt. 910 has AVR's emergancy number so that could be incorrect.  As for when the AVR runs to Bakerstown they make a run almost every Friday, either from 6-8 in the morning or from 8-11 at night and rarely in the afternoon about 5.  Lately they have been running strictly at night, my guess would be because of them rebuilding the line during the day.  Hope this helps

Matt

caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #128 on: May 10th, 2007, 3:31pm »

Yes, BP owns (or leases from CSX if you want to be technical) to Duncan Ave. Interchange is made at Bakerstown. BP only operates to Bakerstown, as there is no way to interchange at Duncan Ave. This has been the arrangement since the first day of operation by the BP and AVR. The line between Duncan Ave. and MP 17 (AVR Jct.) is sub leased to the AVR from the BP. This was done to get state grant money for repairs after the flood in Sep. 04. This arrangement is still in effect, explaining the stickers. The BP timetable only goes to MP 17 on the P&W Sub. If a railroad leases track, they are also responsible for maintaining the track and signals. The BP does not operate East of MP 17, so I assume they kept the sub lease to the AVR to avoid having to maintain signals on track they do not operate.  

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2007, 4:08pm by caseyjones1533 » Logged
cavity
Historian

« Reply #129 on: May 10th, 2007, 6:57pm »

When the first car was interchanged, the B&P did operate down to Glenshaw Glass and put the car in the double ended siding.   The siding is fairly short, so I think Btown became the only other area to interchange more than a few cars at a time.  After the 2004 flooding,  there was talk that the AVR might handle the switching for Austins and 84 lumber in Btown, but that never came about.  Todd

Willie
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #130 on: May 16th, 2007, 5:24pm »

Did anyone happen to catch a pic of the SD45T-2 that is now on the system.  It has been spotted in Salamanca, NY a while back with UP paint, then again recently in Bradford, PA in primer gray as 3306.

Long live the ALCos
caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #131 on: May 16th, 2007, 6:44pm »

Two different units. The UP one you speak of was a LTEX unit, #9965. There was another LTEX unit in SP paint, #9303, that were used by the BP after the BP did engine changes on both in Brookville. BP was allowed a "free lease" in exchange for doing the work. The lease was up last December. The two ex KCS tunnel motors-3305 & 3306- (KCS grey, not primer) were purchased by the BP to replace the two LTEX units. These are the ones you saw.

caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #132 on: May 20th, 2007, 2:17am »

The BP's tunnel motors are 3301 and 3302. Both are running on the road job now with the 460 (in SP grey) in the middle.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #133 on: May 21st, 2007, 8:01am »

If anybody can catch a photo of these two units that would be great!

caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #134 on: May 24th, 2007, 10:55pm »

Photos posted on BPRR yahoo groups.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #135 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 8:19pm »

Heads up corman fans. Talking with some people today at work and RJC has unleashed two new items to the paint. Silver roof paint! I guess like CSX they are trying to keep the crews a bit cooler. The other thing is the unit number on the nose of the tunnels. I guess where the old SP lights went they are putting the unit number! Havent seen that yet, not sure what that will look like. Of course up here in the North we prob arent going to see the paint crew for some time.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #136 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 8:21pm »

ok, so what dose this have to do with the B&P.....Nothing, sorry guys wrong topic!

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #137 on: Jun 14th, 2007, 1:21pm »

Keep your eyes open for some Knox and Kane rolling stock on the B&P in the next few days.  39 left Marienville this AM pulling the Railbox and the bay window cab.  Making a stop in Kane to pick up the Alco, #70 to add to the delivery to Mt. Jewett.  70 has been bought and is on the way to Texas.  Unknown destination for the box and caboose.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
PVMRR76
Historian

« Reply #138 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 7:34am »

Well, BIG BROTHER has reached Homer City.
It seems an investigator for the TSA was snooping around asking questions about rail photography and photographers. Mentioned seeing photos of the Homer City Generating Station and the B&P on websites while in a doctors office waiting room with my wife. Said he was curious about the locations the photos were taken from. My wife asked why, and he replied that he is a TSA rail safety inspector. (Of course this could be complete BS!)

So if you are out and about and get questioned by this guy- ask for ID.

OC@T Fan
Enthusiast

« Reply #139 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 3:42pm »

Not backing anybody up or putting down the railfanning god knows Ive taken my share of pics. But Im sure that someone say people taking pics and alerted the autoritites and were worried about terrorism so definately ask for ID but think about 911 too

Matt Marshall

May 75 sound in the Oil Creek Valley FOREVER!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »