Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Buffalo & Pittsburgh
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Buffalo & Pittsburgh
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Buffalo & Pittsburgh  (Read 15706 times)
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Buffalo & Pittsburgh

« Reply #100 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

great catch!!!!!

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
PVMRR76
Historian
  BP1506_7HCbridge.jpg - 171949 Bytes
« Reply #101 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 8:06pm »

A second shot of MP-15s 1506 and 1507 as they charge onto the bridge over Cherry Run on the Homer City Generating Station spur.  

Years ago when there were no trains, you could see the bridge clearly. Now it is obscured by mature trees.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/BP1506_7HCbridge.jpg
Click Image to Resize

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #102 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 8:38pm »

Do those two hang out at the plant waiting for trains, or are they put on the train coming in?

PVMRR76
Historian

« Reply #103 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 12:01am »

on Apr 5th, 2007, 8:38pm, towny72 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Do those two hang out at the plant waiting for trains, or are they put on the train coming in?

I think they are usually kept up by the plant, as most of the inbound/outbound trains have a 4 or 5 GP-38 lash up. BTW the train came into Homer City at about 9:45PM the past three nights and normally, the second cut of empties leaves around 6 to 6:30AM. Makes getting any photos a real crap shoot.

Steel_Wheels
Chaser
  prr6755.jpg - 38549 Bytes
« Reply #104 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 2:16pm »

As far as R.J. Corman and B&P linking into each other there is an easier way than re building to Dubois from Clearfield and Mahoning Junction.

They could from Mahaffey to Punxatawney easier.

The B&P tore up the line from Dubois to the C&M junction four miles south of Clearfield yard. It was a old BR&P line that was taken over by C&O in 1930. The New York Central built up and to join the BR&P line at C&M junction and used Trackage rights into their Clearfield yard, built so BR&P could hand off Lumber and Coal to the NYC for transport to eastern markets. Probably a non monetary trackage agreement that allowed NYC to use those few miles of track in return BR&P could use the Clearfield Railyard facilities.

Anyway, if somebody bothered to look B&P could probably collect trackage fees for those three or four miles.

Anyway, When Conrail still ran in this area around 1989 i saw B&P GP's down here from Dubois several times, pulling a couple cars here and there.

By the mid 1990's however B&P tore up the entire line from Dubois to Curwensville. If RJ Corman ripped out into Curwensville it was neccesary, I walked it a few years ago the ties were rotten the rails terribly worn and even the spikes were working their way out of the ties.

When R.J. Comran was working up there last summer they tore everything worn out up, they re habilitated the grade and improved the drainage. I'm thinking to build a new siding on it into Curwensville industrial park for when the Ethanol plant is built where the Howe's leather tannery stood. It would also service the Lezzer Lumber Truss systems with lumber and building materials.(RJ Corman already does this for Lezzer on a siding in the Clearfield Industrial park! but then Lezzer has to transport it to Curwensville by truck.)

R.J Corman has extended the rail siding into Clearfield industrial park across the road and put in a second crossing beside the first probably for a siding to a warehouse or factory rumored to be building out there  soon served strictly by rail.

Anyway things are picking up here in Clearfield/Curwensville Area, it would probably do B&P good to be part of the action.

BTW, this is K4s 1361, I had mechanical malfunctions and had to change my login.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/prr6755.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steel_Wheels
Chaser
  454_Riker-2.jpg - 51283 Bytes
« Reply #105 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 9:13pm »

Whats the deal?

A few weeks ago EMTrailfan asked me why R.J. Corman engines were in Dubois, Pa. at the B&P railyard. I did not know, why or how and neihter did some local railfans i know from DuBois.

Tonight in the Clearfield "Progress" newspaper i saw a Meeting report from the Dubois City council that said petition was made to ask R.J.Corman if they can bore under R.J. Corman's tracks to install a new water line to RESCAR industries( A rail car repair company.

Did R.J. Corman aquire the DuBois B&P line from B&P?

I'm gogin to ask in the R.J.Corman forum too in case someone there knows.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/454_Riker-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #106 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 11:28pm »

WHAT? The paper is obviously wrong. Corman has nothing to do with Dubois. It should have read B&P instead. The corman engine or engines were enroute to Brookville for repairs, a common practice.

Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #107 on: Apr 7th, 2007, 5:42pm »

I don't know, it was Dubois city Council meeting minutes, that's why i am confused. I live in Clearfeild and everytime i have traveled to Dubois all i ever saw was B&P hauling paper for Weyerhauser Winding Plant and occasionally Coal.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #108 on: Apr 7th, 2007, 9:41pm »

When I was researching the RJC loco that I saw in Dubois, I found a photo on RP.net that I think Zack Marlow shot of it wrecked I think in OH.  I thought maybe it was on the way to/from Brookville.  I didn't know if BPRR did work for other RRs.  I guess if the $$$ is right.

While we're on the subject of strange happenings in Dubois,  there is a thread in the BPRR Yahoo group about a passenger train spotted in Dubois.  A reply in the thread said that it was a business train for I think one of the North Shore affiliates.  Not sure which one without closing and looking.  BUT, in the Union RR Yahoo group, they saw NS pick up passenger cars from URR not too long ago and later spotted in Homestead.  They said that they are going for scrap.  Could they possibly be the same cars on the way to Brookville?  Just a thought.

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2007, 9:42pm by EMTRailfan » Logged

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #109 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 12:33am »

Ha, this is a commen mistake by the media. That engine is one from our Western Ohio Line. It was sent for a good deal of repair after a grade crossing collision this past summer. It was put onto its side, crew was ok. They must have finished the work and moved her outside? I remember a while back here in Pittsburgh the paper said something about the Union Pacific railroad tracks by PNC park. Um its NS.....Just had a UP loco on point that day!

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #110 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 12:35am »

By the way, the crew at Clearfield has built a good relation with the BPRR loco shop. They use them as a contractor for major repairs, they also use Juniata for rebuilds. RJC isnt set up for major loco repair, unless they are at the Central Kentucky Line. For some reason they dont send there own units there for repair.

rnetzlof

« Reply #111 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 3:55pm »

on Apr 7th, 2007, 5:42pm, Steel_Wheels wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I don't know, it was Dubois city Council meeting minutes, that's why i am confused. I live in Clearfeild and everytime i have traveled to Dubois all i ever saw was B&P hauling paper for Weyerhauser Winding Plant and occasionally Coal.

If the Clearfield paper got the report from the DuBois newspaper, there's room for a great deal of confusion. A few years ago the DuBois paper reported an accident near DuBois on the Baltimore and Pacific Railroad. They got the initials right, and that's about all.

We live in an age when the typical newspaper reporter knows squat about railroads. On top of that, it's been said that the chief qualification for employment by the DuBois paper is a willingness to work cheap. I've seen no reason to doubt that.

Bob Netzlof

Bob Netzlof
Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #112 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 9:02pm »

Don't know, I heard Brokkville Equipment had acontract to build 17 locomotives for a communter line in Connecticut maybe they are re-building passenger cars too. Or maybe RESCAR was re doing the wheelsets on those cars.

Anyway, Brokkville has some weird stuff over there. Behind Molnar Trucking there is an impoundment with about 20 cantenary powered trolleys sitting in it, lord knows where from.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #113 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 9:36pm »

Ive noticed those trolleys before. Made me look three or four times while driving past.  My big question is how big are the shops there? I know down in butler its a two stall shop and Ive been told can hold 4 GPs at a time. If Dubois is rebuling locos for B&P as well as other railroads I would think its a large shop?

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #114 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 9:57pm »

Been in the BV shops before.  4 looks to be about all it can hold with room to work.  When I was there, all 4 bays were full.  2 wide x 2 deep.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #115 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 10:19pm »

Oh down on the P&W there is a good bit of tie work being done. Right now a bunch of ties are sitting by Glenshawglass. I guess this line is bringing good money. It got alot of attention after the huricane a few years back, and now more new ties!

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #116 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 9:56am »

Follow up on my passenger cars spotted in Dubois post from earlier.  Here are a few snags that William Klapp caught of the  North Shore Shipper's Special from RP.net.  What a coinkadink.  North Shore has a 2004 GP38 also.  Not sure why they would have been in Dubois, but who knows.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=183384

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=183383

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #117 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 9:02pm »

Keep in mind that Brookville Mining and the BP's Brookville shop are two different places. Brookville Mining is not affiliated with G&W.

Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #118 on: Apr 13th, 2007, 9:22pm »

If the building is only two deep and two slots then it doesn't have the room to do hevay maint. heck R.J. Corman doesn't even rebuild his at their Clearfield Shop and it's three stalls four engines deep.

For the heavier rebuild stuff you are talking Gantry cranes, Spinning machines for re winding electric motors, Machine shop to make parts for some of the older Diesel engines.

You could not fit that in Brookville B&P shop.

BTW, I don't think Brookville Equipment uses "Mining" in their name anymore. They are building new Light commuter rail engines and rebuilding older motive power and rolling stock. One time U.S. Army GP-9's were spotted there being rebuilt. I wish i had known as i model U.S. Army in HO scale and the photos i could've gotten would have been useful.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #119 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 1:45am »

Steel as far as I know the only locos sent to B&P for rebuild were units in derails. Mostly just cosmetic work being done. So when it comes to us getting prime movers and gens redone I dont know. I know we had a gen swapped out at B&P, but they didnt rebuild it. So for the most part I dont know what they can do in Brok.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »