Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:41pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railroading on Neville Island
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Railroading on Neville Island  (Read 1862 times)
fquig
Railfan

« on: Jan 27th, 2006, 9:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The company I work for is in the process of purchasing property on Neville Island . The site is part of the former Dravo property where LSTs were built for use in WWII
and barges were subsequently built here.

The property lies on the Ohio River side of Grand Avenue.

The property was rail served but the rail service never entered the large building known as Building 42 of the barge shop.

As part of my assignment, I applied for and the company was awarded a Rail Freight Assistance grant.  Purpose of this grant is to bring rail service in to the building and also to rehabilitate track running to a barge facilty located at the river.

The contract was awarded to Marta Track and work began on Monday. Watching this work progress is a rail enthusiasts dream.

The property had some interesting rail features including a leg of a wye and a diamond.

There was also a small yard in front of the building.

Marta is in the process of replacing a turnout .  They have put the new one together on a section of pavement and plan to move it intact to its planned position.  That should occur early next week.

I have had the pleasure of watching what they call a Prentiss loader in action. This is a very serious truck with an elevated seat on the back from which an operator very skillfully operates a clam shell type bucket.

More equipment is due in next week.  I promise to take pictures as work progresses.

Having been on the Island for almost a year now makes me wonder about railraoding here in the glory days.  There is  quite a bit of active rail in place and a lot of evidence of previously used rail.

I recently saw a picture that showed a yard on the McKees Rocks side.  Was this yard for Neville Island or was it an extension of the P & LE facilities further east?

I would guess that certain industries would have owmed their own locomotives on the island.  Ther is still one there on the AMG property on Grand Avenue. It is kept in a shed.  Today the door was half open, but I could not identify the loco.  I would guess that it is of Alco or even Baldwin heritage.

Were there any other companies that owned their own motive power?

cavity
Historian
Re: Railroading on Neville Island

« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 5:53pm »

The yard is the west end of the former P&LE Mckees Rocks yard.  It was quite large in its day and it is sad when you drive across the Mckees Rocks bridge and look down at all the rail that used to be in service.  Neville Island was a beehive of rail activity until the early 80's.  The coke works and chemical plant always were large rail served industries.  There were a couple of sand and gravel plants that had rail service, Dravo, and other large steel working sites too.  It has been a gradual decline until recently, with your work being the most extensive in a long while.  CSX bought the switching company that used to serve Neville Island, cant remember who that was.  It was in Railpace a few years back.  I can remember them using two green mp-15 if my memory serves me right.  I was to young to remember when the island was busy, but Im sure several industries may have had their own power.  Todd

splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 7:38pm »

Most of the Island was served by the PC&Y.  The only others were AMG  and Shenango as far back as I can remember. POV, Pittsburgh and Ohio Valley were their green units.
I have quite a few shots that need scanned.   Tanks for Neville Chemical and US Chemical , hot metal cars from Pittsburgh-DesMoines  and Shenango.  Most of the action  along the back channel, with branches to the other side.  Flood water up to the bridge to the main was always interesting  

Paul

splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

AMG0001.jpg - 34325 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 7:53pm »

A quick one.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/AMG0001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

POV0001.jpg - 40779 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 8:01pm »

One more.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/POV0001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Coffee
Historian
  POConNevBrd.jpg - 56791 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2006, 10:47pm »

Nice photos splicer. Boy, do they bring back memories. My in-laws lived across the river on the corner with the Neville Island Bridge and when there I would walk across the bridge and check out the action. Thanks for scanning and posting the shots. Hope you have more. I'll post one from more recent times.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/POConNevBrd.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2006, 10:49pm by Coffee » Logged

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

Ohio Central Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ohiocentralsystem

splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

PCY0004.jpg - 45307 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 8:38pm »

During the early 90's the PC&Y power was #5.   Not all that reliable, it was replaced by P&LE units while down.  The following are late summer shots of hot metal cars headed for scrap.  Most were cut up behind the Duquesne Light substation on the back channel.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (45307 bytes, 916x522 pixels)

Click Here to View Image PCY0004.jpg - 45307 Bytes

splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

PCY0005.jpg - 33428 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 8:43pm »

The view toward the left

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/PCY0005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

PCY0006.jpg - 56078 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 8:48pm »

Headed home from night shift, morning fog not gone yet, caught the last of the hot cars are exiting Pittsburgh Des-Moines.  #5 obviously down for the day.  

Paul

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/PCY0006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cavity
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 11:41am »

Splicer, is that center cab now used by the Pittsburgh intermodal railway in Ambridge?  I see it shifting cars down there along 65 and was wondering if that is the same unit.  Please keep posting, that brings back alot of memories, my dad worked at Dravo for 20+ years and I can remember them using the track the author of this thread is now rehabbing.. as an aside, if you have any pics of the old P&W, please let mw know, would love to see them.  Todd

splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

PIT0002.jpg - 58691 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 5:51pm »

Rolled by the Island today and saw the trackwork in progress.  
Frontier Steel ?  

No, the AMG centercab still resides in the shed, I have not seen it out in a while.  The PIT unit is still in everyday use last I looked along the river.  

All my early P&W stuff was prints that have faded to oblivion.   They were my learning curve  

Paul

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/PIT0002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

fquig
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: Mar 8th, 2006, 8:18pm »

We got our first car today.  A flatcar of plate steel came in and there were no hitches.
They are coming with another car tomorrow and I hope to get pictures.

fquig
Railfan

« Reply #12 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 8:55pm »

We have a lot of pictures but the moderator needs help posting them.  When I try to attach them, it says" image not found ".  Can anyone help me with this?

Were you there today?  

I am glad we decided to rehab the side track, It sure makes things easier to get in and out.

It has been fun seeing the action the last couple days.  We started working on this project in October 04 when Len Wagner helped me put the state grant application together.  It has been a long process but certainly worth the effort.

Seeing a train come across Grand Avenue is not only a rail fan dream, but it will be really good for our business.  And it should be good for the railroad as I expect we are going to be bringing in a bunch of cars.

Say hello the next time you come in on the train.

Frank

fquig
Railfan

« Reply #13 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 10:48pm »

I will put pictures on CD for you if that works for you.  I also have some pictures of the construction.

Would be great to talk to those guys. I have a lot of questions about railroading on the Island.

I saw a picture with track in it that I do not understand where it was.

trainman911
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: May 20th, 2006, 9:03am »

I see the POHC has a bridge girder sitting on a flat car on Neville Island behind Gordon Food Service. The 1327 a SW1200RS is sitting next to it.

Ross
KB3QYI
fquig
Railfan

« Reply #15 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 8:40pm »

The AMG locomotive shown in the picture in a prior post has ventured out of its shed for the first time in the more than two years I have worked on Neville Island.  It is pulled up against Neville Road at the crossing.  Will try to get photo tomorrow.

Frank

splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Jun 30th, 2007, 2:26pm »

Took Franks heads-up and ventured to the Island today.  The AMG unit has really gone down hill since my '90s shot above.   Word from guys working on the guard shed, is that AMG has leased or sold that side of their operation to another scrap dealer, so.... I guess the centercab has to go.  

On the other end of the island CSX6000 is holding down the duties formerly done by the POV unit in another photo above.

A few links so I don't run afoul of size limits

http://tinyurl.com/2vwkky

http://tinyurl.com/2vecql

http://tinyurl.com/273wka

http://tinyurl.com/yvyu38

http://tinyurl.com/yq6e8j

Paul

stumpjumper
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 9:59pm »

Very nice photos you have there.  I have beed to the island a few time for work and have only seen train action one time .  I wish that I has able to make it down there when everything was really booming, but I was too young.  

fquig
Railfan

« Reply #18 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 1:36pm »

As many of you may know, the POHC and its parent is being sold to GWI Industries, parent of the B & P.  Will be interesting to see if there will be any changes here on the island.

Will keep you posted as things develop.

Frank

trainman911
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Aug 7th, 2008, 4:19pm »

Frank,
Don't expect to much to change, least that is what we are being told. I expect some motive power changes and orange paint.  We were also told that the name won't change. Things on the other end of the POHC are looking brighter, possible new customers.
Ross

Ross
KB3QYI
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »