Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:32pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days  (Read 11083 times)
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days

« Reply #80 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 8:49pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Yikes 909 was spending the day in Vaughn Ontario today

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
mike_enssle
TRAINing

« Reply #81 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 4:16pm »

on Sep 12th, 2005, 11:25am, PW_Matt wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm in

Somebody needs to Start a B&LE fan club The Bessemer needs to live for ever.Does eny body have a track map of Albion yard let me know thanks

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #82 on: Sep 27th, 2005, 11:45am »

Hey guys just checking in over the Bessemer network, Seeing if there is any new news, any sightings of Red yet? Has any of our lost locos made it back to home rails?

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #83 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 9:42am »

Nothin new on the bessemer cept the change from the triple beep to a solid tone on the dispatcher call on the radio (as metioned before i think, but that was a while ago)

The Modern Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad.........WITHOUT CN!!
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #84 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 5:19pm »

hey i was looking into listening in on the radio for the trains coming through slippery rock, i was hopen you guys can clue me in on a good radio, that a college student can buy, and what frequency to listen to up here in the rock

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #85 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 10:33am »

Hmmmmm. A good radio, i assume u mean scanner.  Nothin fancy is needed to monitor railroad frequencys, i have a simple handheld Bearcat Sport cat that i picked up at the fleamarket for 60 bucks. it only has 100 channels, the exact amount needed for all of the AAR frequencies.  A friend of mine just bought a new Bearcat scanner at Walmart for about 100 bucks, and it has like 1000 channels and it does much more than mine can dream of.  Radioshack also has some sales on scanners, usually u can pick up  a simple one for about $100-$120 on sale. I started out with a 20 yr old bearcat 210XL 18 channel base unit that i picked up for $10 at the fleamarket.  It continues to provide great service to this day, (with slight repairs, such as a new quiet power supply that my dad got from work, as the Xformer that is built in makes all sorts of humming.) I also built custom tunned antennas that make a world of difference in reception.  Those "rubber ducky" antennas that come with a scanner are worthless pieces of junk. U only get about 50% of what u could with a tunned antenna.  Its usually more important to have a good antenna than an expensive scanner.  The most expensive scanner is worthless when a junky antenna is attached to it.  My suggestion to u is to get a basic scanner, with standard features such as channel lock out,  channel delay, and atleast 100 channels.  Then, depending on where ur gonna use it, get a nice tunned antenna (buy or make urself) for ur house or car.  The best thing u can do for a good price is to search flea markets, try ebay, or just shop around.  The best and most popular brand is Bearcat, but radioshack makes a decent product from what i understand.

As for frequencies of Bessemer, U can monitor 160.830 for most communications. Maintanece usually uses 161.010 or 161.310.  and all end of train devices use 457.9375 and 452.9375.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any other quetions, and good luck

The Modern Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad.........WITHOUT CN!!
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #86 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 10:44am »

thanks, that will get me started. once i get the gear ill let you know if i have anymore questions.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #87 on: Oct 11th, 2005, 9:31am »

Did anybody notice sunday night there was alot of moves going on along the B&LE. Between 9 and 10:30 i heard 3 differnt trains pass through slippery rock.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #88 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 3:14pm »

Another high traffic night. Once again last night i heard three trains between 11pm and 12:30pm. The main that runs by here is a single track so im guessing they keep the trains 30 min apart. Now im just wondering if these are all hoppers? Or what power they are using to pull all these trains.

Brock50
TRAINing
  910crop.jpg - 85806 Bytes
« Reply #89 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 3:35am »

Yes I did Notice that Sunday and Monday Nights were rather busy on the Bessemer.  Surprising, since coal hauls are down to one a day.  They probably are finally catching up on hauling scrap now.  I have seen about 10 scrap trains this week.  Atleast 2 a day.  Caught one Tuesday night with 910 south.  Did anybody happen to catch the rare move on Monday night with 866 leading the Northbound, and does anybody know why they did this?  Too bad it was dark!

PS.  910 looks like it is brand new.  Cleanest I have ever seen it! Nice wax job!!!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/910crop.jpg
Click Image to Resize

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #90 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 4:40pm »

Hey Brock, great shot. Good to see they are keeping clean. Are they using the SD38's for extra power right now? And have you seen 909 or 903?

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #91 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 12:10am »

i just caught 151 and 152 on the URR dead line, at railpics.....is this for real the two switchers that worked butler for all those years are now in line for the scrap pile?

splicer65
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #92 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 12:34pm »

No, I'm pretty sure that string went to the Birmingham Southern.

caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #93 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 6:08pm »

150 and 151 were the original pair that replaced the SD-9s.

RAS
Enthusiast
  bsunitskenny101703a.jpg - 71594 Bytes
« Reply #94 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 7:21pm »

Well here it goes.  THE B&LE received URR 6 and URR 8, both SW1500's when the EJ&E 614 and EJ&E 802 arrived on the property.  Some time later the string you see, minus the URR unit, went to the Birmingham Southern Railroad.  B&LE 150 another SW1500 was then added to the USX roster and I believe resides in the USX Clariton Coke Works as USX#150.  Still in Bessemer paint minus the B&LE herald.  After this occured the URR 6 and 8 were returned to the URR roster.

Attached is a shot of the 4 BS units at the NS Kenny interchange exactly 2 years ago to the DAY.

Hope this helps,

RAS

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (71594 bytes, 903x529 pixels)

Click Here to View Image bsunitskenny101703a.jpg - 71594 Bytes

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2005, 7:24pm by RAS » Logged
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #95 on: Oct 21st, 2005, 4:37pm »

Ok with all that said, are there anymore Switcher locos on the roster? And is there any up to date list of power on the B&LE? and by the way more moves in the evening past the rock. 3 more moves last night, 2 north and one sounded like it was south but im not sure on that.

Brock50
TRAINing
  910south01brite_small.jpg - 104782 Bytes
« Reply #96 on: Oct 22nd, 2005, 11:38pm »

You should have went to see one of them southbounds towny?  One of them was a 4 unit set.  Here is the pic.  907 Broke down at Kremis so they brought 910 to rescue the train and continued southward.  Here is the pic!

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (104782 bytes, 1055x791 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 910south01brite_small.jpg - 104782 Bytes

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #97 on: Oct 23rd, 2005, 9:33am »

Thats a nice lash up! Emptys on that train?  Hey brock went past the yard in north butler this morning around 9 saw a bunch of CN rolling stock. 3 box cars, and two spline cars all CN markings. Maybe we are going to see the B&LE run more then just hoppers and gons! And brock if you can keep and eye for the missing B&LE power. Let me know which locos you run into

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #98 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 4:43pm »

Today by armco heading north on the main i saw a unigue high raller...it was a winebago...(spelling) looking thing that was orange,,,just motoring north at 10mph...anybody see this thing before or know what it is? Second I also got to see a long coil cover set. about 40 cars... a dozen or so looked to be brand new. you could see the new looking rust on the truks and wheels....by that i meen just rust no crime or grease.....where would the b&le interchange with csx?

Brock50
TRAINing

« Reply #99 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 3:37pm »

Towny, the B&LE interchanges with CSX right here in Shenango yard along with NS.  Lately CSX has been visiting the yard quite frequently, about twice a week.  Bessemer set out 130 hoppers for CSX to take west about a week ago.  There were CSX hoppers mixed in with the B&LE ones.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »