Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days  (Read 11084 times)
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days

« Reply #60 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 2:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

i heard that 909 was over in rook yard in july on the W&LE? any fact on that

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #61 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:35pm »

Yes, 909 was in Rook yard in July.  Go to Railpictures.net for some great pics of 909 in the yard.  Search in keywords for "909 rook yard". (link didnt work. Damn)

The Modern Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad.........WITHOUT CN!!
North Bessemer
TRAINing

« Reply #62 on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 4:27pm »

There's dates on the photos...903 lead a lime train on the DMIR today theres a pic of it on there.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 8:28am »

so 909, and 903 are gone. well two are gone not horrible news, but i read that DM&I is planning on putting some "lines" on 903. if that happens i guess we arent going to see her back ever

North Bessemer
TRAINing

« Reply #64 on: Aug 25th, 2005, 11:53pm »

I dont know, people have told me they was just seasonal loans and theyd be back but I aint sure these days. Time will tell. Maybe some DMIR power will come down here. That'd be sweet, if you wanna see any of my B&LE pics I took check out:

http://bessemerpics.bravehost.com

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2005, 11:57pm by North Bessemer » Logged

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 11:13am »

Wow, nice pics!!!!!!! like the way you set up the site! great work....I remember about 4 years ago seeing a ex DM&IR SD9 short nose on the BL&E for a few weeks, At the time I had no idea of the DM&IR. Wish i would have taken more pics of it. I doubt we are going to see 903 again. People are saying its getting fitted for the plumbing used on the DM&IR.

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #66 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 6:38pm »

Is that u bryan?  Shame for not telling me, bessemerlakeerie
   I see the site is working beautifully, LOL

North Bessemer
TRAINing

« Reply #67 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 4:06pm »

Yes it's me, 910, 904, and 901 spent a good 3 hours down here in North Bessemer last night switching tons of cars around. They ended up leaving with 140 or so cars. They pulled a really heavy train in aswell. I was told 903's work on the DMIR was limited because it dont got the straight air piping needed to haul tactonite but I didnt hear that they was going to put the strait air piping on it.

According to http://www.lsrm.org/Home/railfanupdate.asp...

"Former Bessemer & Lake Erie SD40T-3 No. 903 is spending time on the former DM&IR this summer as a temporary replacement engine for Missabe 400-series units that are down for maintenance. The 903 joins orange ex-B&LE SD38 No. 869 (with DM&IR reporting marks)."

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #68 on: Aug 27th, 2005, 4:26pm »

Well I hope 903 will come back someday, good info thanks!

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 4:14pm »

Got stopped by a long train of emptys today on harmony rd. didnt get to see the locos. Did see something i didnt like..... www.cn.ca was stenciled on the side of a good bit of hoppers....boooooooo i hate canucks!

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: Sep 6th, 2005, 8:45am »

Man things are looking sad at Greenville!!!! The roundhouse looks like nobody has been in it in twenty years. I guess its been a [b][/b] since a texas type has been there

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #71 on: Sep 6th, 2005, 9:22am »

Thanks for the pics Bob (i wont call u bobby, LOL) !!! Nice to see some of the regular crew on this thread!!  I would show some photos, but i dont have a scanner or digital camera yet  , so they'll have to wait till after i make the trip to Staples.

PW_Matt
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #72 on: Sep 6th, 2005, 11:41am »

I was just up to greenville yesterday, had the whole family along so I didn't dig in too deep.  saw a train in Fredonia, caught up with it again in Grove City and yet again at Queen Junction.  Only have one bad video clip outa all that.  Gotta get together on a saturday and chase them in and around greenville now that I kinda know my way around.

Matt

LL1060
Chaser

« Reply #73 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 10:41am »

IIRC the T-motors are kept at Greenville, 868 is still around, and lives up at Conneaut with a pair of former DM&IR 'SD-M's, and 866 & 867 trade duties working Calvin Yard and Conneaut.  

No more F's, SD7s, -9s, -18s, and I believe all the SD38-2s are gone... *sigh*

BTW what was the fate of the SW1500s BLE got from Conrail? And was the pair from the Union RR returned?

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2005, 10:43am by LL1060 » Logged
MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #74 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 11:58am »

Hey Derek,
  I believe the SW1500s were returned to URR, but im not 100% sure. Somthin to ask about on the "other" board?

Matt,
   Glad u had a good time up in Greenville, perhaps a club trip would be in order!!  Its nice to see one of us made it up there finally.  Hope u got some good video, and that the tripod helped.  

Also,  
  Has anyone noticed that the radio response tone has changed from the triple beep to a solid tone!?!
  There goes another piece, albeit small, of bessemer uniqueness.

Mike

edhorm
Enthusiast

« Reply #75 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 6:56pm »

I believe that the former CR SW1500's went to the Birmingham Southern and the ex-URR ones went back to the Union. These departed at the same time the 5 SD38-2's left.

Edward W. Horm
SuperbirdVHble
Chaser

« Reply #76 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 7:23pm »

Derek,
 The roster at Conneaut is as follows: SD38 862 (the second SD38 ever built by EMD), SD38AC 868, SD38-2 878, and ONE of the DM&IR SDM's (not sure what happened to the other one, but one of them is gone I do believe.) Personally I do not know why so many engines are needed at Conneaut. 867 seems to be really struggling at Butler a lot, dunno why they dont ship another unit down there. Oh well, CN knows what they are doing.
 As we all know 867 is the Butler Yard locomotive. SD38AC 866 is a Misc unit, going wherever it is needed. (often when another locomotive from Conneaut or Butler is in for inspection)  
 868, 878, and 862 are ALL in the original Bessemer scheme with the old logos. 867 and 866 are in the modern scheme that the Tunnel Motors are in.
 The 5 SD38-2s that went to Union Railroad are currently running over on the EJ&E. As well as *877* and another SD38-2.  
  Here is a picture of 868 in all her classic Bessemer glory. Unfortunalty by the time I was able to get my camera it was pretty dark out, but it was nice to see a VERY familiar paint scheme from my early childhood again. This was taken earlier this spring when 868 was being shipped back to Conneaut after inspection.
  SD18 853 is on the Potomac Eagle Railroad, and 854, 855, and 856 are at LTEX as well as SD38-2 873. Like I said, I think all the SD38-2s other than 873 (that were not wrecked or still on the B&LE) are in service on the EJ&E numbered in the 670 series.
  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Superbird/msoA1653spj.jpg
  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Superbird/mso6A30Dspj.jpg

-----Mr. SD38
"The Steel King"
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #77 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 9:55pm »

I saw somebody mention a club,,,,is there a B&LE club, would love to join, and thanks for the info on the status of B&LE power

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #78 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 10:38pm »

A bessemer club? Hmmmm............sound like a good idea. Plenty of us around
The club of which i previously refered was a RR club i started at Penn State New Kensington, LL1060 is a classmate of mine.  However i like the idea of a casual bessemer club, or at least a sort of "meeting of Bessemer fans".  Anyone else like the idea?

PW_Matt
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #79 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 11:25am »

I'm in

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »