Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days  (Read 11085 times)
PW_Matt
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days

« Reply #40 on: May 20th, 2005, 11:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I really need to get out and see some Bessemer before it's executed.  A heavy coal train is railroading at it's best.  I used to catch them on the P&W all the time, that was quite a show, 3 or 4 locomotives on the front with helpers on the back.  My house would shake and I'm over 1/4 mile away from the tracks.  Dang I miss them.  I need to more [/i]real[i] trains none of this 60 mph intermodal crap.

B&LE forever

Matt

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #41 on: May 21st, 2005, 12:36pm »

Nothing like 9000 horsepower pulling 10,000 tons of steel.  Usually its Notch 8 through Culmerville.

909 has been running on the W&LE RR recently.  Some have reported seeing it in Rook yard and on the Clairton branch.  Getting closer to home!!!

I also hear that there are plans to rip up the unused tracks in NB yard, as well as repair those remaning.  Not sure what will come of the take over in 10 days.

The Modern Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad.........WITHOUT CN!!
MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #42 on: May 31st, 2005, 5:20pm »

LAST DAY FOR BESSEMER!!!!!!

Well, we shall see what occurs.  Not much has changed, and I find it hard to believe that anything will overnight.  Afterall, trains are controlled by the CN dispatcher already.

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #43 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 10:39pm »

MORE Rumors:
  Now dont over react, but i have heard from a person who has talked to the 867 crew that CN has bought 11 new GE's.  The perfect No. to replace the Bessemer units!   Sure would be great to see them in orange and black, since we all know that it was Bessemer who absorbed CN!    

OH well, we can dream, can't we?  We shall be waiting to see what comes of this new bit of info, and what new twists our friends up north can toss us B&LE fans!

For a good dose of Bessemer orange
       Visit Brock Johnson's Awesome collection of modern and up to date  
            photos of the railroad

www.bessemerjunction.com

North Bessemer
TRAINing

« Reply #44 on: Jun 18th, 2005, 3:10am »

Yep, I'm the one who talked to that nice crew. He said he heard they placed the order when BLE first absorbed CN but nothing has ever came so he was unsure. I am almost hoping any kind of new units come, the back of the greenville shops are empty! Any kind of power would be better than an   seeing empty rails.

- Bryan

DannyR

BLE_Gondola.jpg - 60040 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: Jun 18th, 2005, 8:50am »

I was going to post this elsewhere until seeing this thread. Caught this gondola in Kannapolis, NC, the first B&LE gon I have ever seen in this area.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/BLE_Gondola.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #46 on: Jun 19th, 2005, 10:38am »

Hi Bryan,
    Nice to see u on Railfan.net!!  We need more hardcore Bessemer fans on here.
  Wonder what that gon is doin' down there?  Nice pic though.  Nice to see equipment still in original paint.

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #47 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 4:55pm »

Well, its happened.  Red, Black and White power has intruded the Bessemer.............
in the form of an Alco!!!!!!    Western New York and Pennsylvania RR Alco C430 No. 431 was in Greenville on July 7th.  Its not here for good however, it is said that it is just in town for wheel work.  Im not sure if thats good or bad........I was kinda hopin to see some Alco action down here close to home.

Operations_Manager
Railfan

« Reply #48 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 8:46pm »

Over the last few weeks, I have not seen any B&LE power in Central Canada, but there was a report of a unit in Western Canada, in late June

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 7:45am »

Looks Like we lost 909 for good, Im seeing new pics all the time of her in the midwest. Did see a nice lash up of 909 as the lead unit. My question is what are they replacing these units with? Havent heard of CN power on the B&LE Line yet. Have you?

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #50 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 10:51pm »

No other power has been brought to the bessemer, we're still see'n 3 unit consists of black and orange tunnel motors

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #51 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 4:08pm »

There are a few SD38 AC's left, with 867 or 866 usually being stored in butler's Calvin yard.   From there, the switch the AK Steel Mill and bring loads (or empties) to the yard, where mainline trains pick them up (or drop off).  Its usually quiet a show when leaving the mill, as they are usually pulling in notch 8 the whole way!!

Check out Brock Johnson's bessemer photo website to see the SD38 AC's in action.  www.bessemerjunction.com

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #52 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 5:25pm »

You can usually catch the 867 yard job anywhere u can get near the track between AK steel and Calvin yard.  Just dont photograph any trains in AK plant, unless u want to be confronted by AK cops.  They cant do anything unless you are on mill property, but I usually try to advoid confrontation.  Ill try to get map together to show you.  How familiar are you with the Butler Area?  Calvin yard is sort of north, just out of the town, but you can catch them in a better spot downtown butler.  There are grade crossings where they pull past in notch 8.  Center Ave? perhaps. it slips my mind at the moment. Ill check.  The railroad itself is usually very friendly as long as u respect property, and use your head.  they wont chase you away if you happen to venture on to propery, but i wouldnt recomend it.  CN officials have been down here lately, and might frown upon railfans tresspassing.  Map will come soon

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 8:35am »

Thanks MG.   I live in slippery rock so i do know my way around butler rather well. had a few jobs there. I did take a company tour over at AK a few years ago, but they wouldnt allow you to take the camera into. i look forward

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 9:01am »

Oh by the way, on railpics i have been seeing quite a few shots of 903, and 909 out west. I dont know how old these shots are, but can anybody tell me if they have seen these two units back on B&LE soil in august at all?

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 3:12pm »

just saw 901,904,910 pulling a odd set of freight, only about 15 cars, and going about 50mph. on the old spur behind harrisville pa

North Bessemer
TRAINing

« Reply #56 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 3:40am »

Hey, I caught that train tonight. 909 is now working on the Wisconsin Central and 903 is now on the DMIR to replace the 400's that are down for maintenance. That short train tonight (910, 904, 901) was a scrap train brought from butler down to north bessemer and then back to greenville light power.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 1:45pm »

so we lost 909 for good then,,,, that sucks! i doubt we will see 903 again. i wish they would just take the left over sd38 ac's and leave us our tunnels

GP38
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 2:25pm »

on Aug 22nd, 2005, 1:45pm, towny72 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
so we lost 909 for good then,,,, that sucks! i doubt we will see 903 again. i wish they would just take the left over sd38 ac's and leave us our tunnels
No way, take the tunnel motors and leave the SD38AC`s. After all there`s no other diesel that says B&LE more then the SD38`s.  

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 2:35pm »

well ouch, touchy subject......the B&LE did have those sd38's for a long time, and they do pull, but when i saw that first lash up of bright orange long and mean looking tunnels it was impressive.  i see your point, but i would love to keep our modernize tunnels in western pa!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »