Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 3:57pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days  (Read 11035 times)
MGtrainut
Railfan
  Bessemer_106-11.jpg - 181257 Bytes
« on: Feb 18th, 2005, 4:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

As some of you know, the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad will be completely absorbed in to CN on June 1, 2005.  The fate of the historic railroad's heritage including the orange loco's and the much-loved "railhead" herald is uncertain.

Here is a link to CN's website, and info about the merger

http://www.cn.ca/productsservices/GLT/Bessemer/en_index.shtml

So, as a tribute to the old back and orange, I wanted to create a place where we could post photos and memories of the historic road

Here is one of my favorites:

B&LE train 906 north approaches the Brewer Road grade crossing, north of Culmerville, PA on Dec. 28, 2003  Sorry its so big. don't know what happened......

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (1473x970, 181257 bytes)

Click Here to View Image Bessemer_106-11.jpg - 181257 Bytes

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2005, 11:08am by MGtrainut » Logged

The Modern Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad.........WITHOUT CN!!
chirality27
Chaser
Re: Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad's last days

« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 8:22pm »

Cool picture Mike, Thanks.

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 3:00pm »

Thanks.

I'll try to post more pics later.

Does anyone else have pictures of the B & LE in action?  Show 'em off!

Operations_Manager
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 3:57pm »

Thanks for the GREAT photo, Mike! Over the last few weeks, B&LE powers is showing up fairly regular in consists of trains on CN's Kingston Subdivision.

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 5:16pm »

Really?   This is the first i have heard of this.  What locos have you seen? Any of the 900 series SD40T-3's?  I ask because down here (Pittsburgh, PA)  we have not noticed any missing units (yet)  .

Post pictures if you have them!!!

Oh, this may be obvious, but where is CN's Kingston Sub.  I am not very familiar with the railroad's physical plant.

Thanks for the info, and the complement!!!  

chirality27
Chaser

« Reply #5 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 9:24pm »

I saw one of the 900's (forgot which number) at Conway several weeks ago.  Perhaps it was enroute to CN?

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 2:12pm »

Perhaps, unless CN has begun to sell them off, as they already own the railroad    

On another forum I heard a RUMOR (just a rumor)  that the erie branch (NA tower to Wallace Jct.) will soon be ripped up.  

chirality27
Chaser

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 5:23pm »

The new (March) issue of CTC Board has a photo of B&LE 909 leading a CN train on former WC in Wisconsin back in January.  Caption says the unit's been in the midwest on WC for several weeks.

I suppose we'll be seeing C44-9W's on the Bessemer soon.

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 9:38am »

I read a few months ago in Railpace that the CN replacements would be Dash 8's

ranger101
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 11:34pm »

Hello Mike and all,
     I have a question.  Where and when around Pittsburgh, Pa is a good time/place to catch any B&LE action.  This railroad was on my "pics to get list."  I'm sorry to see they are going away.  I went up toward Deer Lakes one day and found the ROW.  It was single track till it came to a signal and then turned into 2 tracks after the signal bridge.  I'll try to dig up the pics and post them.  Thanks
Tim

Rangers Lead the Way!

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 4:28pm »

Tim,

The best way to find a Bessemer train is to use a scanner, as trains are often hard to predict.  If you have a scanner, the road frequency for B&LE is 160.830 MHz.  
A southbound train will call the CN TD3 in Troy Michigan before crossing the Allegheny River Bridge and entering North Bessemer Yard.  On the radio, there will be a double tone from loco radio, followed by a triple beep of the radio system acknowleding the call.  If you hear the double tone, you can bet that a train is near, as the loco's radio transmits at a low power.  As the train approaches NB yard, they will call the Union Railroad TMD at Duquesne (160.260 MHz) to obtain permission into the yard, as it is controlled by the URR.  End of train devices are also used (457.9375 MHz and 452.9375 MHz) on the railroad.

Generally, at least one train will run somtime during the day (all week, dawn till dusk), so relax by the tracks and wait.  There is a defect detector at mp 12.8 in Culmerville (Deer Lakes).  Signal indication is also a good tool to use in spotting these trains.  At the North end of the Allegheny River Bridge there is a light-over-light signal (for lack of a technical term).  If the south bound indication (viewable from Gulf lab road) is orange over red or green over red there is a south bound train approaching the yard.  The signal here is continuously lit, so a red over red is shown when no train is present.  

My suggestion is to head to Butler, PA.  Here ,usually if you wait a little while, you will see some action.  some B and LE trains only come as far south as Butler, and the B&LE 867 yard crew is almost always switching A-K steel.  The B&P Butler engine house is close-by so you will not go home empty handed.  

A word of warning if you plan to chase.  Mainline trains tend to run at 35-40mph , and little slower depending on weight and grade.  The track from The allegheny river (mp4) to Saxonburgh (approx.mp20) is up grade so the train may slow down going north.

if you have other questions , please ask them!!!

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 4:36pm »

on Feb 24th, 2005, 11:34pm, ranger101 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hello Mike and all,
     I have a question.  Where and when around Pittsburgh, Pa is a good time/place to catch any B&LE action.  This railroad was on my "pics to get list."  I'm sorry to see they are going away.  I went up toward Deer Lakes one day and found the ROW.  It was single track till it came to a signal and then turned into 2 tracks after the signal bridge.  I'll try to dig up the pics and post them.  Thanks
Tim

Forgot to mention that trains will spend approximatly one hour in North Bessemer yard before coming north again.

And having a road map of local roads and the tracks will also help.  trying to stay along the ROW towards Butler becomes a little tricky.

Sound to me like, from you description, you made it as far north as South Saxonburg.  Somtimes trains will meet here to pass, as heard on the radio. the 2nd track is a passing siding that ends a mile north.

Good luck and happy train chasing

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2005, 4:37pm by MGtrainut » Logged

chirality27
Chaser

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 5:13pm »

Tim,  

If you're out trying to see the Bessemer, Butler is probably a really good option as you can also probably find something interesting on the B&P.  The B&P engine facility is located off US 422 at the intersection with PA route 68.

Anthony

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 6:00pm »

Tim,
Anthony is right, there is a good view of the engine house from the Rt. 68, i believe.

If anyone has good luck over the weekend, let us know, and show off your pics!!!

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 12:55pm »

Several short trains ran over the weekend

I caught short northbound north of Saxonburg heading to Branchton at 5pm sat.

LL1060
Chaser

« Reply #15 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 6:02pm »

Mike-we need to get some video.  

And I've got pics of a crane up at Branchton I can post soon...

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 3:21pm »

Hi Derek,
 Please post your pictures  

Operations_Manager
Railfan

« Reply #17 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 4:00pm »

Ops, Sorry Mike! CN's Kingston Subdivision, is a VERY busy line, which runs from Toronto (Ontario) to Montreal (Quebec). About an hour ago, B&LE 906 was second unit, in a three-unit eastbound (308, I think) The 109 car train, seemed to  cause the leading SD40-2 and the trailing GP40, some trouble due to the heavy train, as per the visable exhaust, but 906, just hummed along! I wonder why this is?

MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #18 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:08pm »

The bessemer 900 series locomotives are SD40T-3's that are rebuilt from SP SD45 tunnel motors.  The SD45T-2's were rebuilt fairly recently, several years ago, so perhapes the prime mover of the 906 has significantly less wear when compared to the other units that were pulling the train.

MGtrainut
Railfan
  105-21small.jpg - 61605 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Mar 3rd, 2005, 3:45pm »

Here is another photo

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (61605 bytes, 1024x620 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 105-21small.jpg - 61605 Bytes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  13 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »