Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:48pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA  (Read 11715 times)
Jim_O.
Historian
Re: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA

« Reply #60 on: Jul 11th, 2004, 10:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I was in the pickup. The guy in the little station wagon was the jitney for the B&P crew. Thanks for that extra info. Strange though that welded rail won't be put on the rest of the line. I wonder if it'll be 10 mph to Creekside then let'em loose till Indiana, then 10mph through town... Doesn't make much sense.

Not much went on last week. I checked to Creekside Weds and the track machines that were parked in front of the rail train were still there. There was a spike puller or something sitting at the Rose St crossing by Hoss's in Indiana today that hadn't been there. Have to do a drive by south of Indiana to see if they're putting track in south of Lucerne Jct. yet.

Jim O.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Jul 12th, 2004, 5:29pm »

Took a ride around today and nothing happening south of Indiana. Still bare roadbed south of Lucerne Jct. Philadelphia St crossing in Indiana is being redone and street to be closed till the 15th so I doubt a train will go south of Indiana till at least the 14th (they let the asphalt dry a day but tracks should be ready). They were unloading a couple smaller pieces of track equipment between Creekside and Ernest. Other than that...

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  gons_Ernest.jpg - 50597 Bytes
« Reply #62 on: Jul 24th, 2004, 12:20am »

Here's a few more shots. About a month old by now. Currently they're installing the welded rail south from Creekside. Looks like a lot of old fashioned manual labor. They appear to be doing one side at a time; east rail 1st then back to do the west rail south from Creekside.  

1st shot of a truck loading scrap plates and spikes between Ernest and Creekside.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/gons_Ernest.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  track_equip.jpg - 65163 Bytes
« Reply #63 on: Jul 24th, 2004, 12:24am »

Here's another of track equipment on the junk yard siding. Main track is in foreground. Siding was actually runner from PRR line. Looking north towards Maple St. and Indiana.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/track_equip.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  Old_Rt_119_S.jpg - 41431 Bytes
« Reply #64 on: Jul 24th, 2004, 12:28am »

Here's a shot, not real good, looking south from Old Rt 119 just south of Lucerne Jct, just north of Homer City. Tracks are removed and brush has just been cut. brush cutter sitting on roadbed. Also big stack from Homer City power plant in background. Still nothing going on in this area and nothing around the power plant. Nowhere to unload coal as of yet.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/Old_Rt_119_S.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #65 on: Jul 24th, 2004, 6:10pm »

I have a question about the photo showing track equipment on the  former PRR siding. When I was at IUP 30+ years ago, there was a junk yard located on the left side of the scene depicted in this photo. A PRR industrial siding crossed the B&O at grade behind where Jim O. was standing and ran through the junk yard and ended at the McCreary Tire plant. When PC pulled out I think the B&O made a connection to the siding. There was a set of PRR position light signals protecting their ends of the crossing and the B&O had their version of PL signals protecting their side. Is that siding still there? How about the junk yard? Jim, keep the pictures coming!

Ron Mele

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #66 on: Jul 26th, 2004, 5:03pm »

Ron, the PRR did cross the B&O on a diamond protected by B&O positions on the B&O main and PRR positions on the PRR track. At some point, have to go back through some old photos, Chessie took the diamond out and put a switch in up to McCreary Tire. The track to McCreary's has been gone for some time now. Kovalchiks junk yard is actually to the right in that picture and the track the equipment is on is the track that's always been used for that junk yard. After PC pulled out the Chessie trains would go down the siding the equipment is on and reverse towards McCreary's crossing the B&O main on the diamond. I'll guess the diamond was there until 1983. There is a small junk yard to the left, but they never really used rail service.

Jim O.
njp154
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #67 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 2:01am »

I went to a picnic last weekend at the ballfield/pavilion that's north of the Homer City Power Plant, and just happens to be within sight of the B&O spur that goes from the Indiana Branch and curves around to the plant.  I saw a pile of new looking ties where the one access road crosses the tracks, and asked my uncle (who's employed by one of the companies associated with the plant) what the deal was with them.  He said they're planning on bringing trains up that spur to the plant.  The ROW looks mostly intact, just in bad need of weed killer.

Does anyone know the grade on this spur?  Looks pretty steep in some places - might this just be a temporary solution until some sort of conveyor is built?  I guess while we're on the subject, when was this spur built/OS'd?  This would also mean that B&P will have to redo the Indiana Branch for a ways past the switch, due to it's orientation.  Maybe we'll be lucky and they have to put in a siding below the switch if they have to double the hill.

They'll also have to do some heavy-duty roadbed work around Lucerne Jct.  At one place just north of there, the ballast and bed had eroded underneath the outside rail and then another foot to the inside.  They'll need to do something about that before they run a modern coal train over it!

Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #68 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 7:52pm »

I downloaded the topo map for Homer City and did some quick calculations to determine the grade on the spur up to the power plant. The spur switch at the bottom of the hill is at approx. 1000' above sea level. The spur tops out at about 1200' ASL. It takes 2.7 miles or 14256' to climb 200'. That works out to be about a 1.4% grade. That's a pretty stiff grade so I would imagine B&P would have to deliver the coal in cuts of 15 to 20 cars or more depending on the total locomotive horsepower attached to the train.

Regarding when the spur was built, I think that plant dates to about 1965-1967 so the spur is probably that old. Since Homer City and Shelocta were built as mine-mouth plants, it's hard to say if the original owners ever intended to utilize coal  brought in by rail. The spur was probably constructed to bring in some construction materials and electrical apparatus that couldn't be shipped via highway.

Ron Mele

train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #69 on: Jul 27th, 2004, 9:21pm »

Here's a number to put in your scanner while you are checking out the renovations on the Indiana Branch.151.505.This is the frequency that Delta Railroad Construction uses.Just wanted to pass this on,they talk all day long.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #70 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 8:27am »

Ron is correct about the date and use of the spur into the power plant. I think the grade is a lot steeper though. Trains on the main are going up around 1.5% at Locust and Barton north of Marion Center on the main and NS is doing that with 125 cars now. I remember riding up to the power plant in a train and the crew saying it was about 5%, but I would tend to lean towards Ron's calculations (they did 25-30 loads up 5% on Saluda in NC all the time). They actually had to enlarge the tunnel just north of Indiana to accomidate a high and wide going to the power plant when it was built.  

There was a company in the vicinity of the power plant that experimented with different types of coal and they would get 2 or 3 loads taken up that spur every so often. I don't know how they unloaded it, but I'm sure they couldn't handle a daily operation of many cars if its even still there.

There's also a bridge out south of that spur so don't know how far past the spur they can go. I know the bridge over Power Plant Rd in Graceton was taken out by a garbage truck many years ago. Don't know about the bridge over the river which is a little closer.

Jim O.
njp154
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #71 on: Jul 28th, 2004, 9:46pm »

If I had to guess, the bridge over Two Lick Creek still exists.  The Indiana Branch was almost intact (save for that bridge in Coral) up until the Rt. 119 widening - it seems that bridges have only been removed if absolutely necessary (I bet the mouths of scrap dealers water when they see the big bridge on the Lucerne Branch).  But if it is gone, it looks like on Terraserver that B&P would have around a half mile on the other side of the spur to work with.

To back Jim O. up, I've also heard the 5% figure quoted somewhere.

There's also a lot of trackage still intact within the power plant, a rails-in-concrete deal with some conventional tracks elsewhere.  Who knows, they might have some unloading equipment around, or might bring something in.

Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #72 on: Jul 29th, 2004, 8:35pm »

Some comments on the grade to the power plant - The overall grade, at least according to the topo map, has to run 1.4-1.5%. However, depending on how the contractor graded the line,  there might very well be a stretch of 5% though it would have to be fairly short. Regarding Saluda, that grade hits 5% though overall the grade is mostly between 3% and 4.7%. NS rated a 3600hp locomotive at 565 tons up the steepest part of the grade. If B&P runs 3-3,000HP units on the coal trains, they ought to be able to get 25 to 30 loaded cars up the hill without too much trouble.

Jim_O.
Historian
  3107-Indiana.jpg - 71945 Bytes
« Reply #73 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 4:33pm »

Installation of the west rail is now south of Ernest. By the end of the week they ought to be about done then more rail will be needed and ballast. Through Riker this weekend and didn't see a waiting rail train. Just a big loaded coal train w/NS hoppers and B&P power 3100, the HLCX red slug set and ex N&W GP9. Also, the radio freq for Delta works great.

While we continue to contemplate the goings on on the Indiana Sub I scanned some "blasts from the past" that have a relation to some of the discussions here. Thanks to Nick for helping get file sizes down, and please forgive the quality as some were taken more than 20 yrs ago as I was getting started with picture taking.

1st one is last train I shot coming down to Indiana 4-24-1990. This train went the whole way to Lucerne. Don't know what they did with the gon. They must have come down at least one more time to pick it up. Note the old brewery in the background. It was demolished soon after picture was taken.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/3107-Indiana.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  3742-HCPP.jpg - 21112 Bytes
« Reply #74 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 4:41pm »

I mentioned riding up the spur to the power plant, here we are coming up to the plant out the window of B&O 3742 w/3 coal loads. Not much to see. 7-31-1982

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/3742-HCPP.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  4020.jpg - 31966 Bytes
« Reply #75 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 4:45pm »

One of the last times I ever saw them actually go to the power plant. 4020 takes a high & wide up to the plant. 5-30-1985. dark into the sun shot-train is at the bottom in the middle. Spur is just above the train going up to the right.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/4020.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  4020-PP.jpg - 34811 Bytes
« Reply #76 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 4:47pm »

Crew of high & wide after dropping load off in the plant. I figure they're trying to figure out how to get out of the place.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/4020-PP.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  4301-Indiana.jpg - 46248 Bytes
« Reply #77 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 4:53pm »

Here's a train going across the diamond crossing the B&O main on their way to or from McCreary Tire.6-8-1979

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/4301-Indiana.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  6939-Ind_Tunnel.jpg - 72599 Bytes
« Reply #78 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 4:57pm »

For those of you who haven't seen the tunnel, and it's hard to see now because it's overgrown, here it is in Sept 1982. It's 683' 1 1/4" long.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/6939-Ind_Tunnel.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  6943-Indiana.jpg - 29269 Bytes
« Reply #79 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 5:01pm »

My 1st night shot, actually 1st shot period, with my new camera (at the time).
6943 pauses at the station after completing their work. Station is still in service at this time. 8-5-1981

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/6943-Indiana.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »