Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:50pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA  (Read 11716 times)
Jim_O.
Historian
Re: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA

« Reply #40 on: Jun 21st, 2004, 2:17am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The welded rail is only to going through town. B&P's incredibly nice way of trying to please the unhappy residents (not all are unhappy) with quieter and safer rail travel through town. Most of the crossings have been done through town and they sure are nice. After they run the big sweeper across the tracks after they've installed the new ties the roadbed looks much better. The shot at Rose street next to the bike trail, the new ties haven't been installed yet, so still lots of stubble. I have to say that the work that has been done looks way better than what NS is running on down to Shelocta, hence, why they're always dumping their trains.

I've been trying to find out about how NS and B&P are going to work together on this and haven't heard anything at this point. A friend of mine is an NS dispatcher, though not at that desk, said that the Shelocta running Track (Indiana Sub, Ridge Sub) is given to a train and occupied until that train is no longer on it. That's how they do it without the B&P. NS has a 10 mph speed restriction on their trains. B&P has said they plan to run around 25 mph with a head end speed of 10 mph through town. Take into account that it takes an NS train 3 to 4 hours to travel from Cloe to Shelocta, time in the power plant, and then return; NS has the track occupied a good part of a day. It'll certainly be interesting. I think they ought to double track it, or put in a tower and ctc...LOL

As far as the NS extension to Saltsburg, no news in this area either, though for what it's worth, talking to a worker on the Indiana project, he thought the NS extension probably wouldn't fly even though it's been approved. I don't know, maybe NS spent their budget just trying to get it approved.

I'll try to get some more pictures posted. I wasn't real happy with the results of these. My scanning equipment isn't the best and still fooling around with file size vs quality. Have to find a happy medium.

Looks like work will now shift south of Indiana, though I imagine we'll see some ballast trains starting from the north soon. The 1st train through town which brought new ties was unloaded next to Agway under the Rt 422 overpass along Old Rt 119 south of town. All track has been removed from Lucern Jct to the area of the power plant.

Jim O.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  Ridge_Jct_switch.jpg - 76151 Bytes
« Reply #41 on: Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:12am »

Here's a few more shots. They are a month or 2 old by now. The 1st one is just after the installation of the new switch at Ridge Jct. The original Indiana Sub alignment is at left.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/Ridge_Jct_switch.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  Creekside-1.jpg - 91138 Bytes
« Reply #42 on: Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:14am »

This one is installation of new track south of the Jct. Old alignment is to right of new track.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/Creekside-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  Creekside-2.jpg - 72420 Bytes
« Reply #43 on: Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:19am »

This is same place as above although obviously in service. Shows the amount of ties being used on the project. This many got them south to Indiana. Another load of similar size was unoloaded a couple miles south of Indiana a couple weeks ago.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/Creekside-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  Ernest-no_track.jpg - 76054 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:21am »

Here's a before and after between Ernest and Creekside looking towards Ernest along Rt 110

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/Ernest-no_track.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  Ernest-w_track.jpg - 59274 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:22am »

This has all since been ballasted. The only area so far that has been ballasted.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/Ernest-w_track.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  Ridge_Jct-2.jpg - 59413 Bytes
« Reply #46 on: Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:24am »

One more for now. NS 562 going past the new switch at Ridge Jct. Hope to get a train going to Indiana sometime.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/Ridge_Jct-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
fquig
Railfan

« Reply #47 on: Jun 23rd, 2004, 1:22pm »

Great pictures and info.  Please keep them coming.

JimE
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #48 on: Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:40pm »

Agreed.  Great pictures!!!  Thanks for sharing them with us.  It's so cool to see out of service rails restored as opposed to in-service rails being removed....

JimE

JimE
http://jrevans.fbody.com/trains.html
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Jun 29th, 2004, 4:22pm »

Here's some news: Caught a welded rail train on the Indiana sub (Shelocta Running Track) just south of Cloe this afternoon. There were two tie plates on each tie between the rails where the train was. I also noticed this on the line north of Indiana to Creekside. Maybe since NS is no longer planning to build the extension they will put welded rail on the whole line. It would sure help NS's derailment problem. Train was powered by B&P 2001 and HLCX 3824. Also lots of buckets of spikes still in Creekside.  Track equipment dormant around Indiana. they might be done replacing ties and waiting for welded rail.  The B&P, or contractor, is really dong a job cleaning up too. Old ties, plates and spikes are brought close to a road and hauled away.  

Jim O.

Jim O.
Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #50 on: Jun 29th, 2004, 9:17pm »

I'm surprised that NS is giving up on constructing their own line to Shelocta. As I recall, that plan goes back to around 1996 or 97 when Conrail first proposed it. I know NS has gotten a lot of NIMBY flak but did that really stop them? There's one thing I'm curious about concerning the Indiana Branch. Does NS actually own the track from Cloe to Shelocta or is it leased? And, does B&P own from Ridge Jct. at Creekside to Homer City or is that a lease arrangement. Just wondering.

Ron Mele

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Jun 29th, 2004, 10:07pm »

Ron, Conrail bought 5.8 miles of the Ridge Sec. from CSX back in '94 which is from Creekside to the Keystone Generating Sta. The end of last year the B&P bought the Indiana Sub from Creekside south to the area of the Homer City Generating Sta. CSX has retained ownership of the Indiana Sub from Cloe to Creekside where the lines split. NS and B&P are leasing this portion of the line.

As I mentioned before, it'll certainly help the derailment problem (2 back to back this month) and they should be able to increase speeds which will become more important if the 2 RR's are going to be sharing that 25 miles or so of track.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Jul 1st, 2004, 6:13pm »

Welded rail train came into Indiana this afternoon about 5:30. they pulled up as far as Water St and then backed out of town again. Not sure what they were doing. There are 2 tie plates laying on every tie from Indiana north to Creekside. Even through town. The welded rail they built on site and installed in Indiana must have been to get through the crossings that were rebuilt.  

Rt 110 Creekside to Ernest is to be closed for crossing work till Saturday so hard to get around on the north end of the line from Indiana right now. Best way to get around that would be to take the road to Blue Spruce Park from Ernest which comes out at the tracks north of Creekside for anyone who may be traveling the area.

Jim O.
Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #53 on: Jul 1st, 2004, 10:05pm »

Over the years NS has used the Indiana Sub., they have experienced several derailments due to track conditions. Now with two railroads running heavy coal trains over this line, what will they do about upgrading the jointly used track? And, more importantly, what about bridges? I know NS wiped out a bridge several years ago. Now that it appears the Indiana Branch will be in service for the long haul, it may be time for a serious upgrade!

fquig
Railfan

« Reply #54 on: Jul 2nd, 2004, 1:38pm »

From Yahoo BPRR

Frank and Jim (if he is reading);

While on my way to DuBois to pay my respects to the family of
Bill Murray I stopped in to check on the Indiana Sub.
I saw the 130# RE laid along the outside of the existing rail as
the CWR trains typically unload starting around Cloe Lumber. However
this rail only ran for about one mile. By the time I was at Rossiter
the rail had ceased to be down to swap out for quite some time. I
thought they may have quit due to the Grade Crossing so I continued
onwards to Savan.
At Savan there were no indications of the CWR ready to be
installed in either direction as far as I could see. The 100# AREA
stick rail from the Bethlehem Steel Co. from the late 1920's was
still there and as flat as ever.
I did not have time to continue South and had to turn around at
this point.
If the Welded Rail was to be laid at Creekside I would think that
it would have been installed right off of the bat, but the missing
section at Ernest may have made it necessary to do things in this
fashion. I was told by several people that there was enough rail on
this train to finish up to Homer City and the ammount I saw on the
ground wouldn't even finish off the top row of rail from the
railtrain.
Next time I am at Indiana or Lucerne I will check.
George K.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #55 on: Jul 2nd, 2004, 2:41pm »

Hard to figure out. Must be why the tie plates near Cloe only went about a train lenght. There are 2 tie plates on each tie the whole way from Indiana to Creekside. Ties have been replaced south to Lucerne Jct. and no track south of there.

The welded rail train which came into Indiana yesterday for just a moment and backed out appeared to be empty. Haven't been between Indiana and Creekside yet, maybe that's where they dumped all the rail. Will check it out this evening.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Jul 2nd, 2004, 9:32pm »

Empty rail train is parked dead just south of Creekside. Its been there since last night. Good light in morning if it's still there. RT 110 crossing should be open Sat morning. Welded rail was dumped on both sides of track from Creekside to just north of Indiana.

Jim O.
fquig
Railfan

« Reply #57 on: Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:53pm »

Rail train was still there at 10:30.  

Loaded 562 was sitting inside RT 56 at Shelocta.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Jul 3rd, 2004, 7:51pm »

I must have just missed you. Seems I bugged out just before 10:30. The rail train was waiting for permission to head north, train going to Riker.

Heard the dumper at Keystone is down. Don't know for how long. That loaded train you saw in Shelocta may be there for awhile.

Jim O.
fquig
Railfan

« Reply #59 on: Jul 11th, 2004, 7:30pm »

Jim,

When I was there last Saturday, there was a man in a station wagon and a  man in a pickup truck there. Were you either one of them.

The following is posted from another forum:

"Hey all,

If you are shooting the BT/NC detour you have about 10 to 14 days  
left barring any unexpected delays. The liner is completed and Atlas  
is getting ready to put the rail back in.
  If you have a camera your days of getting the orange in the Burgh  
are about done.
   If you work for B&P you will have one hell of a suprise the next  
time you go over Connoquenessing Creek going into the tunnel.
   The next railtrain for the Indiana SUb. will be here soon also  
since the last one didn't do it. The rail I saw at Cloe was offloaded  
there because B&P owns a short distance below Cloe. They will not be  
repairing any NS tracks."
      George K.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »