Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:29pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA  (Read 11707 times)
Ron_Mele
Railfan
Re: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA

« Reply #20 on: Mar 7th, 2004, 10:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

My, my, how things have changed in 30+ years! I was a student at IUP between 1969 and 1973. During my freshman year, I lived in a dorm across the tracks from campus. Everyday several hundred students crossed the B&O tracks safely and I can't recall any rail-related mishaps during my time at IUP. At that time, the B&O was fairly busy and the University administration didn't seem concerned about providing extraordinary railroad-related safety measures. Considering the amount of automobile traffic vs. train traffic around campus, one stood a much better chance of being hit by a car or truck than a train. The same odds will apply when the Indiana Branch is back up and running.  The world has been taken over by a bunch of "Chicken Little's." For me, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

fquig
Railfan

« Reply #21 on: Mar 7th, 2004, 11:09pm »

Could not agree more.  The train has been around for almost 200 years now.  It is large and makes a lot of noise whether the horn is blowing or not.  

I am surprised that the students are not being mowed down by cars by the dozens if they are that oblivious.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Mar 9th, 2004, 5:33pm »

And in todays Gazette front pg headlines IUP president makes $1,860 per day!!!!

IUP's last president, who recently resigned, worked only 155 days as president and was paid $85,000+. They've agreed to continue paying the ex-president for 166 more days and he's not even there anymore.

Our State govt. at work.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 4:46pm »

Yesterdays gazette showed pictures of weed cutting and tree pulling operations on- going between Ernest and Indiana. Stated train frequency has been down rated from daily to 2-3 trains weekly. Work trains should be on the rails in the area by late April with 1st revenue run later in the year.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Mar 29th, 2004, 8:25am »

Took a ride from Creekside to Indiana Saturday and the pile of ties in Creekside have been moved off the right of way. Right of way between Rt 110 @ Creekside and Ernest has been regraded and from there to Martin Rd just north of the tunnel brush has been cut.

Jim O.
train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #25 on: Apr 11th, 2004, 9:04am »

Watch channel 4 news today they have a story on Operation Lifesaver and how they are training everyone in the schools,college and bus drivers on safety on the tracks around Indiana.They have the news on most of the morning.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Apr 19th, 2004, 12:39am »

Work continues between Creekside and Indiana. Appears brush has been cut at least to the tunnel just north of Indiana. Where tracks had disappeared in the area of the old mine just north of Ernest, new track has been laid. In Creekside track has been straightened at Ridge Jct. and a new switch installed. It appears a slight realignment has taken place here.

Jim O.
ironimages
Enthusiast

« Reply #27 on: Apr 29th, 2004, 11:59am »

On wednesday April 28th the B&P ran the first of the M of W trains to the Indiana branch the train consist was the B&P 2000 + 3106 with 15 gons of ties. The train arrived at the junction at Creekside around 4:45pm. With the power returning to Riker. This is the first of what will be many M of W moves in the weeks to come.  

« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2004, 3:08pm by ironimages » Logged
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Apr 30th, 2004, 9:06am »

Down by the Homer City Power Plant all the track has been removed pretty much south of Homer City. Anyone know what the plans are for unloading the coal trains?

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #29 on: May 12th, 2004, 5:16pm »

Progress continues on the Indiana Sub. South of Creekside. New sections of track between Creekside and Ernest have been ballasted and ties have been dropped for installation from Creekside to just south of Phila St in Indiana. Today lots of work going on at the Oakland and Grant St crossings near IUP campus. More ties have been stacked up near Hoss's Restaurant at Rose St crossing.

I've heard that the unloading operation near the power plant will be bottom dump and conveyored up to the plant. However, a contractor has yet to be hired for the job.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #30 on: May 13th, 2004, 8:03pm »

The action near the Oakland Ave crossing in Indiana is a portable rail welding shop. Yes, welded rail for the Indiana Sub. It will probably just be used through town to make the track quieter and safer. The B&P is really going all out on this project. Crossing work is slated to start in Indiana May 31. Info from Indiana Gazette.

Jim O.
fquig
Railfan

« Reply #31 on: May 15th, 2004, 9:15pm »

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=11643700&BRD=1078&PAG=461&dept_id=151025&rfi=8

Link to Indiana Gazette article.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #32 on: May 30th, 2004, 8:03am »

Tie replacement is done from Creekside to Indiana. Nothing happening near the Homer City Power Plant as far as unloader. Not even any tracks there yet.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Jun 8th, 2004, 6:55pm »

The 1st train through Indiana in however many years (early '90's) arrived in Indiana about 4:35 this afternoon with some gons which were placed at various spots near the south end of town near Robert Shaw. Power was HLCX 3824, HHLX 172, HHLX 205. They were in town a couple hrs with the bell going the whole way and short airhorn blasts at the crossings.

Currently, welded rail is being placed through the crossings in town as the crossings are being rebuilt.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  13th_ST_before.jpg - 59261 Bytes
« Reply #34 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 1:10am »

Here's some shots, which I hope will work, of the on going work on the Indiana Sub. tracks in Indiana area. Some before and after shots and others. The first train through town brought gons full of ties, most being off loaded south of town under the RT 422 overpass. Old tracks have been removed from Lucern Jct to the power plant area. 2nd train through Indiana, Friday afternoon?, came to retrieve empty gons.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (59261 bytes, 952x641 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 13th_ST_before.jpg - 59261 Bytes

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  13th_ST_after.jpg - 95533 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 1:12am »

Previous and current image show area of 13th St before and after cutting and new ties.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/13th_ST_after.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  Rose_St.jpg - 95454 Bytes
« Reply #36 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 1:19am »

Rose St looking south next to ex-PRR branch, now Hoodlebug Trail. Interesting to note the trail was the PRR's 1st ever branch off the mainline built around 1856.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (95454 bytes, 963x641 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Rose_St.jpg - 95454 Bytes

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  welded_rail.jpg - 118720 Bytes
« Reply #37 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 1:22am »

And some welded rail being placed in area of station in town between Philadelphia and Water St's.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (118720 bytes, 978x671 pixels)

Click Here to View Image welded_rail.jpg - 118720 Bytes

Jim O.
Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #38 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 2:41pm »

Jim, thanks for the great updates on the Indiana Branch. I have a couple questions. First, is B&P planning to install welded rail on the entire branch? And, until NS gets their new link to Shelocta up and running, NS and B&P will share the branch. How does B&P plan to handle traffic control? Are they constructing any sidings? News about Norfolk Southern's project has been very sparse lately. Any updates?

Ron Mele

cavity
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Jun 20th, 2004, 11:15pm »

Those are great shots, please post more if you have them.  I think seeing a rail line come back to life after so long is really neat.  Even after brush cutting, it looks like they will need some Weed Be Gone!   Todd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »