Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:45pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA  (Read 11714 times)
Jim_O.
Historian
Re: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA

« Reply #180 on: Feb 9th, 2006, 7:05am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Neat to know you heard them on 160.230 at the power plant. I noticed the rapid discharge hoppers the other day. They look like a recent aquisition though I don't know for sure. The empties they took out on Tues were the old PSR ones, but looked like the loads they brought in were the rapid discharge ones. I don't see why they'd need air from both ends though I don't know how they operate. They use power on both ends in Blairsville I think because of the reverse move needed to get the loads through Blairsville then as they unload the train it begins to block crossings in town and they cut the train and pull empties out of town.

HC loads came in last night (Weds) about 11:45pm. Don't know yet if they turned right away north with empties.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #181 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 12:22am »

In reference to the last loaded train that came in... they did return north with empties and another loaded train came in tonight (Thurs) around 7:30 pm. Not exactly sure if this train returned north w/empties, but assuming they did, that's 4 trains through Indiana in less than 24 hrs (2 each way of course).

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #182 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:26pm »

Big Homer City train through town this morning about 9am. 60 cars, 8 units, 5 on front, 3 on the rear including 1 SW. After, they got to the power plant 2 B&P SW's came down the hill from the power plant and eventually took 10 loads back up. So, at one point there were 10 units at the bottom of the hill screwing around. It looks like the lone SW that was brought in on the train was set out to be left there. After a bit of switching, the crew from the train looked like they were waiting to be picked up and the power was just going to be there until the train was ready to go north empty.

Jim O.
ironimages
Enthusiast

« Reply #183 on: Nov 8th, 2007, 9:39am »

Time to re-new this thread,

Atlas rr const. has been working on the line from Cloe to Creekside for several months now I took a quick trip up that way too look around yesterday and found that new welded rail was installed from Creekside to Home summit, and a rail train was dropping rail from Home north. Power 305, 302 and 102 looks like the rail fom the low grade. Also the siding at Home has been torn out. Amazing!

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #184 on: Nov 8th, 2007, 7:38pm »

You are correct in that the rail is from the PRR Low grade, or as the B&P calls it, the Laurel Sub.  I caught a few pics of her removing the rail last week.  Same power and all

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
rrfan2004
TRAINing

« Reply #185 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 4:19pm »

How much action is on the Indiana sub these days? Still about 5 trains a week? Ken

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #186 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 5:33pm »

Traffic has been pretty slow of late do to the track work north of Creekside. I imagine it'll pick back up once they get the new track in. Last week they were working in the area of the Marion Center Speedway so they're definately beyond the 8 mile grant money.  
Back when the transformer business was going on they had talked about replacing the truss bridges, 1 just north of Chambersville and 1 just north of the speedway. Not sure the status of those.

Jim O.
pumpers

View Profile  

« Reply #187 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 5:38pm »

Is all the coal for the Homer City plant coming down through Punxsatawney (spelling?) and Marion Center?

Or did NS get any business using their new Shelocta connection and  
coming over from there to the Homer City line connecting at Creekside?

Is the truck-transfer operation in Blairsville off of NS still supplying
coal to Homer city too?    Why would the plant do this with the direct rail connection?   Maybe to provide some competition to keep everybody on
their toes?

JS

PVMRR76
Historian

« Reply #188 on: Jan 11th, 2008, 7:24pm »

NS is using part of the track from just east of Shelocta to Thomas Covered bridge to store a string of junk TOFC cars. These have been rusting there for months- so no coal is moving to Homer City via the new Clarksburg connector - yet.

kennstation
Enthusiast

« Reply #189 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 8:03am »

how's train traffic through town now that the track work has been completed? It's been over 2.5 years since they re-opened the line and i still haven't been fortunate enough to get back to indiana to see one train.... is it 100% traffic for the power plant, or does the "t and o" railroad get a fair number of cars- or are there any other prospective customers on the line? thanks... ken

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #190 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 10:44pm »

Traffic has been pretty slim. Just coal when they do come in. Last non coal I saw was last April when the T&O loaded 1 gon. Quite different from what they promised when they were talking of reopenning the line. None of the other rumors have panned out, yet. You'd think something else has to be in the works to justify all the work done on the line.

Jim O.
bwparker1
Historian

« Reply #191 on: Mar 20th, 2008, 3:08pm »

There had been some talk of the Kovalchik Scrapyard seeing service. I guess that hasn't panned out.

BWP

Brooks W. Parker
Glastonbury, CT
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #192 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 12:19am »

Kovalchicks junk yard, as most know it, is almost history. The land that the junk yard has occupied at the southern end of Indiana was sold to IUP and they've been moving junk to the old coal/gas plant north of Lucerne by truck. Kovalchick's T&O RR consists of what used to be the Lucerne Branch and there is a siding back to the old coal/gas plant and site of his new junk yard, I guess.

Jim O.
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #193 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 12:48am »

You all seem to be having spelling problems with that poor fellow's Junk Yard. So, how about the Slavic spelling; Kovalczyk. How close are we to the way the fellow spells it

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
kennstation
Enthusiast

« Reply #194 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 10:50am »

I'm wondering where that siding to the old coal gasification plant would be, exactly... I do remember, not long before the line was rendered inactive back in early '94, seeing 6 gons being taken  southbound through indiana down there, but i never figured out exactly where they went... i recall it was an odd movement... the train came through indiana and went, i think to lezzer lumber, and then left town.... shortly after, it came back through indiana  southbound again with these six gons... why they didn't bring them through town the first time through, i don't know... and where they went exactly, i don't know that either! this probably happened in about '90 or maybe '91, best guess......ken

bwparker1
Historian

« Reply #195 on: Mar 21st, 2008, 11:12am »

From the East Broad Top Railroad Site:

Kovalchick Salvage Company of Indiana, PA  

BWP

Brooks W. Parker
Glastonbury, CT
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #196 on: Apr 9th, 2008, 9:56am »

Since we had recently mentioned Kovalchick and goings on in the Indiana area, I had a peculiar sighting on the way home from work Monday morning. As I approached the Lucerne Branch bridge over Rt 119 Kovalchicks little GE 25T, or whatever it is, scooted across the bridge back towards the yard. Not sure if they left anything for the B&P or not. Drove past Lucerne Jct this morning and nothing there.

Jim O.
rick2pk
TRAINing

« Reply #197 on: May 25th, 2008, 4:55pm »

Last week I noticed a MP/UP gondola on the spur, not far from the turnout. Then yesterday (Saturday), me and my girls caught the northbound about 2pm, and we watched them take 4 CSX gons from the same spot.

It seems something is going on there on the T&O, although it appears they're loading the gons just past the switch, right near the Lazor Bros apartments.

PVMRR76
Historian
  HC-MTtrain.jpg - 52748 Bytes
« Reply #198 on: May 26th, 2008, 1:46pm »

The loaded gons are left at the switch just past the end of the long trestle over RT 119 and Two Lick creek. The Homer City Coal train - with the northbound empties- picks up the loads.

Speaking of the elusive Homer City coal train. The night crew assembled the empties, the outlawed with the consist at the yard limit below the power plant this Saturday, May 24th.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/HC-MTtrain.jpg
Click Image to Resize

PVMRR76
Historian
  HC-mt-RRsign.jpg - 31120 Bytes
« Reply #199 on: May 26th, 2008, 1:48pm »

An panoramic view of the same train shot from Cherry Run Road.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/HC-mt-RRsign.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »