Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:55pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA  (Read 11717 times)
Jim_O.
Historian
Re: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA

« Reply #160 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 12:25am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I guess they got to Indiana about 2:15pm. Dont' know what they did. They are putting up crossing gates at Rose St right now.

For those who haven't heard about the goings on, the 1st coal train came in on Saturday the 23rd with 3 SW1500's G&W 51 and R&S 102. The 1st train was left and the power returned north, but only made it as far as Marion Center. Not sure what happened after that, but a 2nd loaded train made it down and the 51 and 102 left with the empties from the 1st train without the switchers, I guess while they continued to unload the 2nd train. All the empties and power I guess made it north then.

The 3rd coal train has come and gone. Came in Sunday evening and left Tues evening, however they had 6 units this time. ex-CR 7822 added to the mix. The 3 of them sat at the bottom of the power plant also while the switchers were out of sight, up at the plant or at the far end of the runaround.

Jim O.
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #161 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:14am »

whats the latest on indian coal or IUPC as i like to call it, any pics yet?

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
Jim_O.
Historian
  1514_Locust.jpg - 50827 Bytes
« Reply #162 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 2:10pm »

Here's a shot of the 1st loaded coal train descending Locust Hill. This train didn't make it through Indiana till after dark. Not much new since my post above. There was a loaded train last weekend which would have been the 4th train for those who are keeping count (yah right).

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/1514_Locust.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #163 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 3:31pm »

cool shot. do they always use the switchers?

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #164 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 11:39am »

Loaded train came south through Indiana yesterday about 11:30am with the ususal 3 SW's and 2 road units. Train is currently in the area of the power plant.

Jim O.
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #165 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 11:52am »

Hi, Jim.

Enjoyed your article in the new issue of Railfan&Railroad!!

Chris Bigham

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #166 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 2:47pm »

Thanks Chris! A lot happened since I submitted it 4 years ago.

Jim O.

Jim O.
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #167 on: Aug 28th, 2005, 7:18pm »

That's why the pictures are all so old!!

Chris

ironimages
Enthusiast
  BP_Ernest-01.jpg - 72821 Bytes
« Reply #168 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 8:22am »

A shot from yesterday's Homer City Coal train. B&P 1507 + 1506 with 40 emptys at Ernest Mines. Neat to see and hear the switchers working.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/BP_Ernest-01.jpg
Click Image to Resize

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #169 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 12:05pm »

Awsome shot! Glad to see switchers getting some work.....If anybody can make it into town  I would love to see a shot of the train heading past IUP. Havent been out there in 4 years dont have anymore friends in school there so I doubt I'll make it again.

train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #170 on: Oct 1st, 2005, 9:13pm »

The B&P train went up thru Marion Center today at 1:00 pm with 40 empties and one flat car, KRL 70976 with a large steel tube on it. 301-102-2002-1507-1506 was the power.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #171 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 6:17pm »

Artical in todays Indiana paper that the land deal between IUP and Kovachicks for the junk yard property should be final in 9 months. No mention of what will happen with the junk, but it's been hinted that it will be moved by rail. Between NS and the B&P summer '06 should be pretty interesting in the area, not that it isn't all ready.

As far as coal train activity the B&P is managing a few trains a week and I've heard as many as 5 in 7 days. They've got their turn around down to about 12 hrs with a loaded train usually coming in during the night or wee hrs of the morning.

Jim O.
train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #172 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:17pm »

Jim that was a good story you had,I bought an extra copy and passed it on to a friend.Did you happen to hear the Homer City train one morning,it sounded like their sandboxes were empty and they couldn't make the grade up to the plant.It was interesting while they were talking back and forth,it sounded like they were waiting for a truck to bring them sand.Someone was going to let someone else know what he thought when they got back in.  Bill

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #173 on: Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:15pm »

hey guys, how does the unloading work at the plant. I hear you saying 12 hour turn around. Do bp locos do this? and if so how do they have crews working 12+ hours or do they switch out crews?

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #174 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 12:40am »

Glad you liked the artical Bill. Kind of frustraiting that it took so long and then a rush job to get it out, but thanks...

As far as the unloading towny, the first few months they were taking a few days to get a train unloaded and empties back out. As I mentioned, they seem to have got it down to about 12 hours now. I haven't seen the unloading operation, but I was told that's what the SW1500's they bring along are for. They bring the loads in and the road units are moved to the north end of the siding and the switchers fairy a few loads at a time, don't know how many, up and down the hill for unloading. It certainly would take more than 2 crews to get a train down from Punxy, unloaded, and back.

I've been down there within a couple hours of arrival in hope of catching the operation, but it seems they bring the train in, move the road units to the north end and leave, waiting for the next crew. The whole unloading process may not take that long, just don't know exactly how they do it yet.

Jim O.
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #175 on: Dec 5th, 2005, 6:01pm »

Thanks Jim

ironimages
Enthusiast

« Reply #176 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 9:21am »

The HC-1 Homer City coal train made a rare daylight run yesterday. The 3119 and was on the point along with four other units and about 40 cars of coal. They hit downtown at about 5:00pm just in time for rush hour traffic! The HC-1 dropped the loads Homer City and then turned and took the emptys north.

rhotond
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #177 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 3:46pm »

Where is the coal coming from ie  what mine and where is it located.   I believe the original thought was that it is coming from Logansport on the east side of the allegheny river up river from Schenley  

rhotond

rotten
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #178 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 12:49am »

HC train has now managed to have a train at the power plant ready to be unloaded or empties taken out, so they must have left a couple switchers on site. Loaded train came in Tues morning 6am, dropped the loads, and returned north with the empties that were waiting for them a couple hours later. However, the train was held at Creekside until about 3:30pm. They must have recrewed at some point. The last couple weeks have seen 5 big geeps on the run- the ALY 302, G&W 50, Kyle painted 3119, a B&P GP38 and R&S GP40 (I think). It's been the same 5 units though...

Jim O.
train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #179 on: Feb 8th, 2006, 5:06pm »

I was listening to them a couple times while they are up at the plant,you can hear them loud and clear from down on 119.(160.230)They are always talking about their remote messing up under the power lines??Is the engine on remote control or something else?I noticed they have the rapid discharge bottom hoppers ,they would probably be like down at I-22 and would have to have power on the front and rear to keep the air supplied wouldn't they?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »