Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:35pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA  (Read 11710 times)
ranger101
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA

« Reply #120 on: Nov 26th, 2004, 11:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi everyone
Jim, thanks for the info.  I can't wait till they get the line up there finished.  It will be nice to get some color in the consists, and go somewhere different to take pics.  You are right, the competition with NS and the B&P's stated frequency of traffic will make for a great railfan spot.  Maybe we'll meet face to face sometime.
Tim

Rangers Lead the Way!

train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #121 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 8:55pm »

I talked to one of the guys from Delta Railroad  Service today he was on his way to Dayton,Pa. to pick up a piece of equipment with a lowboy.On his way across rt.85 he got a call that their mechanics truck broke down and he went over and picked it up instead and was taking it back to Ashtabula,Ohio.He is coming back Friday to Dayton for his load,I asked him how much more they had to do on the new rail line to Homer City and he said one and a half miles to go.He said it would be about one good day to do this.

Jim_O.
Historian
  2002_Ind.jpg - 70407 Bytes
« Reply #122 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 5:09pm »

Got another roll of film back and thought I'd share another shot since absolutely nothing is going on around Indiana. Maybe they're done for the winter...
This shot is a continuation of the last couple I posted. 2002 at old 13th ST crossing starting to dump ballast.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/2002_Ind.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #123 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 4:12pm »

Crossing lights with gates have been installed at Oakland Ave crossing. Gates aren't on the brackets yet. There's also a couple track machines sitting around, but don't know what they're up to. Thats about it at this point, but at least it's something.

Jim O.
train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #124 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 8:25pm »

I just heard today that they are going to start on the coal dumper in 2 weeks.They put out the bid sheets for this,I'll try to find out more on this.I'm going to post a report on the Saltsburg Connection also, they released bid sheets on this also.

train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #125 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 11:26pm »

I was down old 119 today and stopped at the Pennzoil distributor and was looking at the trackwork behind his office,he said the Delta guys told him they didn't think they would finish until spring.They don't have the ballast in behind there ,but probably wouldn't take long to do that.I tried to find out more on the coal dumper,but they said they don't have any pictures or specs on the dumper, just the amount of material needed.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #126 on: Jan 6th, 2005, 7:11pm »

Picture in todays Indiana paper showing workers testing new crossing gates at Oakland Ave. Caption said they expect coals trains to start in June.

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #127 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 8:00am »

Train came through Indiana yesterday about 1:30 pm with 18 or so loads of ballast and 3 units. Looks like things are on their way once again.

Jim O.
rick2pk
TRAINing
  BPRR25009sm.jpg - 38067 Bytes
« Reply #128 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 9:03pm »

It's been awhile since I've been following the thread here, but now with the "spring thaw" (right after the 6" snowstorm this past weekend), I assume work will be starting up again.

Has anybody mentioned any other industries that may take advantage of the new line?

Superior Well Services out of Black Lick used to use the old Black Lick spur before they tore it up for Rails to Trails. Now they are using part of the old wye in Blairsville as a "team track" to bring in sand from out west, which my wife tells me they use whenever they "frack" (or fracture) a well. Most of the time, the covered hoppers that sit on the track are of BNSF and predecessor heritage; I'd drive by them occasionally and not give a second thought.

Then I saw these Airslides today... Buffalo & Pittsburgh reporting marks, big Superior decal on the sides... and a trip to Coral (from Black Lick) is shorter than a trip to downtown Blairsville. Worth considering?

Anyways, I'm sure someone already mentioned it. If so, here's the pic anyways.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/BPRR25009sm.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #129 on: Apr 7th, 2005, 4:30pm »

Train back thrugh Indiana today about 2pm with about 12 more loads of ballast. 3111, 2001 and 626 for power. They did an intereting maneuver cutting off 1st 2 units and putting them on the junk yard siding. They pulled the train ahead with the 626 and put the other 2 units on the rear. Then they pushed the train to Lucerne Jct and did the same thing in reverse so all the power was on the north end of the train.  They're working on the new section of track south of Old Rt 119.

Great shot above and interesting thoughts Rick.

Jim O.
train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #130 on: Apr 9th, 2005, 11:29pm »

Nice pictures of the Superior Well cars ,I go thru Blairsville everyday and see their trucks going back in there,but have never been back myself.The NS 518 has been in often going to I-22 tipple.The reason I got on tonite was to post on the ballast train you were talking about.When I came up to Marion Center around 11:45 they were sitting at the MC crossing,2001-3111-626 with 16 empty hoppers. They pulled out around noon and I went up to the PennDot shed and watched them go north.While at MC all the fire depts. were called to Commodore, the RJ Corman train left Clymer and as always when the dry season starts they got a brush fire going along Vanderbilt St.I stopped and talked to these guys, the second drag they loaded at Clymer was just ready to leave.I told George the conductor what was going on up around Purchase Line and he said they didn't get any word about it.He was going to go ahead and check as the firemen were along the tracks,and my Mom said the  fire company called back and said not to let the second drag go up there until they got it under control.I fill bad for these guys theyv'e done all they can to keep the sparks from starting these fires.Well enough on that, just wanted to report on the B&P train.Thanks ,Bill.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #131 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 4:43pm »

16 loads of ballast came through town today about 2pm with 7822 and 3000. They did the same maneuver for switching the engines around. Kind of strange, the 2 units came in back to back and and when they put the 1st unit on the rear and left the 2nd unit on front they traveled to Lucerne Jct. with both units long hood 1st on their respective ends. If the pattern continues they'll head north again tomorrow arond 11am.

I also saw a Gradall going down the tracks earlier in the week. I think they might be shoring up the bank along the river south of Old 119. The train last week did have 2 side dump rock cars on it.

Jim O.
train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #132 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 7:31pm »

Jim I heard those guys talking while they were doing the ballast work they were on 160.785.When they get up above Creekside they switch over to 160.800.I seen a B&P pickup at the Accent Fuel Station at Homer City,but they were leaving,I was going to ask them how they were coming along with the project.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #133 on: Apr 27th, 2005, 5:47pm »

Ballast train came through today around 11am with 3 units, about 20 cars including 2 side dumps, and a caboose! They worked today between MP39 & 40. There are a couple new pieces of track equipment in the area. I'm not up on my track equipment, but a new grooming thing sat near Rose St for about a week. Of course it was gone today. There's also another jigger off the main at Lucerne Jct. The Gradall is down by the power plant switch. The 2 side dump cars were set out on the junk yard siding.

If work has started on the Saltsburg Connection I wonder what will be done with the rest of the Indiana Branch north of Creekside once NS is gone. Doesn't make much sense for B&P to have this nice track from Creekside south and have a junk line from Riker to Creekside...

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  626_Indiana.jpg - 39894 Bytes
« Reply #134 on: Apr 29th, 2005, 5:38pm »

Just got back a few shots I thought I'd post. 1st 2 are how they jockyed the engines around from front to back. 1st- 1st 2 units pulled onto junkyard siding and 626 pulled train past and 2 units put on the rear. then train was pushed to Lucerne Jct where 626 was pushed onto the Lucerne Branch. Entire train was then pushed past the Lucerne Branch and the 626 picked up with all units on the opposite end.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/626_Indiana.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  626_Lucerne_Jct.jpg - 58786 Bytes
« Reply #135 on: Apr 29th, 2005, 5:39pm »

Setting off 626 at Lucerne Jct.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/626_Lucerne_Jct.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  7822_Creekside.jpg - 61459 Bytes
« Reply #136 on: Apr 29th, 2005, 5:43pm »

2 weeks ago this train came in. I never noticed the Creekside sign before. Makes a nice marker.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/7822_Creekside.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  7822_Tunnel.jpg - 64716 Bytes
« Reply #137 on: Apr 29th, 2005, 5:50pm »

The Indiana tunnel is easier to see with no leaves. These 2 units made quite a racket coming up the grade on the north side of the tunnel.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/7822_Tunnel.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
ranger101
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #138 on: May 3rd, 2005, 12:55am »

Hi all,
     Great set of pics Jim.  Now that Grad School is over for the summer Im gonna take a ride up to Indiana on an off day from work and try to get some pics.  What is a good day to come up?  I figure on leaving my house which is only about 45 minutes from Indiana, Pa. about 8 am and getting there early and spend the whole day.  Thanks,
Tim

Rangers Lead the Way!

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #139 on: May 3rd, 2005, 2:14am »

Tim, the ballast train has been in 3 times over the last month. Each time they've come in on Weds or Thurs around 11am in Indiana, which means they probably left Punxy around 8:30 or 9am. They've been working south of Indiana dumping ballast and still have a stretch to do between the 422 overpass and Old Rt 119 and a bit south of MP 40 which is near the bottom of the hill from the power plant. Don't know how far they're going to go in that area.

Anyway, they do their work and leave the train somewhere over night. Last time it was at the Cherry Run Rd crossing near MP 40. Workers started gathering the following morning around 8:30 am; they finish their work and head north for Punxy around 1pm.  

Jim O.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »