Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:43pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA  (Read 11712 times)
Jim_O.
Historian
Re: Train traffic traffic through Indiana, PA

« Reply #100 on: Oct 9th, 2004, 1:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Train in Indiana this weekend for the rescheduled train/bus wreck drill. Friday 2003, 3000, and 2001 came into town with a couple gons ahead and 4 ballast hoppers behind. The gons were placed just south of the Old RT 119 crossing towards Homer City. Must have ties in them. Quite a sight to see 3 units cruising through the area again! The orange and yellow B&P units reminded me of the good old Chessie days.

Track has been ballasted south of Creekside to a mile or so north of the tunnel. Track laying continues south towards the power plant and are in the vicinity of Jacksonville Rd which is about even with Homer City.

Anyone have any idea which radio frequency the B&P is using in Indiana?

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #101 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 5:49pm »

Took a ride around today and track has been laid the whole way to at least the switch that goes up to the power plant. Hard to see down in the area of the switch and quite a long walk to access the area. Ballast has been dumped to area of 13th St Ext south of town. Been that way for almost a couple weeks so not much going on in the area right now.  

ATSF Rick send me an email...

Jim O.

Jim O.
njp154
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #102 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 11:53pm »

As I was doing some searching on the internet, I came across the PennDOT Rt. 119 Widening Project website...

...When I got to the mapping section, something startled me:

http://www.119south.com/maps/LloydSt.gif

This is a map of Lloyd Street, in the area known locally as Little Josephine, just north of Black Lick.  If what this map says is true, NS will have a cut of Homer City coal traffic, and not just from Blairsville.  While I doubt that this is valid, it's still a shock.  Anybody hear anything to credit/discredit this ?

-Nick

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2004, 11:58pm by njp154 » Logged
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #103 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 5:10pm »

That is very interesting. The date makes me think it was a plan that never panned out. I think the bridge along Rt 119 over Blacklick Creek would have been a problem. I always thought that's how it would've happened though.

Activity in Indiana today sure says B&P....  2000, 2001, and 2002 brought in a mess of ballast hoppers and started where they left off. Saw a couple other guys chasing, but had to get to work. My apologies for not saying hi!

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #104 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 7:05pm »

ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/MAPS/Statewide/parail.pdf

Nick, look at this link. It's the Pendot map thing I posted and is pretty up to date. Check out the area in question and looks to be accurate to current happenings.

Jim O.

Jim O.
train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #105 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 8:07pm »

I heard the work train talking to the guys in the pickup as they were setting it on at Ernest this afternoon.They were using 160.785,I think they go to 160.800 when they head towards Punxsy.That's what NS does they use 160.785 up thru Kittanning to Punxsy then go to their 160.800 to Shelocta.

rrfan2004
TRAINing

« Reply #106 on: Nov 5th, 2004, 12:29pm »

does anybody know when they expect to actually start shipping coal on this line? it's pretty exciting, since it's been 30 years since a coal train of any length ran through indiana, and over ten years now since a train of any length ran on this line... also, is there any talk of re-opening the line at the lucerne switch to service possible customers over on the other side of 119?

JimE
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #107 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 11:54pm »

I was browsing the PA PUC website tonight, and saw where the B&P is reactivating a crossing:

http://www.puc.state.pa.us/PcDocs/497858.doc
(It's a MS Word document)

The crossing is:  "White Township, Indiana County, State Route 3043 (Rose Street) crosses, at grade, the track of Buffalo & Pittsburgh Railroad, Inc. (BPRR)."

Can I assume that this crossing is related to the service restoration that is being discussed in this thread?

JimE
My trains page

JimE
http://jrevans.fbody.com/trains.html
Jim_O.
Historian
  3000_Ind.jpg - 70458 Bytes
« Reply #108 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 12:47am »

Here's a few more shots I got back. Not much happening once again. Nothing for 2 weeks now. Last time they ballasted they got south as far as Agway on Old 119 then stopped and went to the new section of track doing about 75 yds south of Old 119 crossing.

They had been parking track equipment on the Lucerne Branch at the switch at the Jct so they did leave that switch in. There are big metal barracades on both sides of the big bridge, so no plans yet to go over into Lucerne, but the fact that they left that switch in and to the junk yard in Indiana are good signs.

Also, a story a week or so ago in the paper of an IUP student getting fined for walking along the right of way near campus. Railfans beware...

1st shot is of the 1st mock bus crash site a day after the hurricane. You can see 2002 with a tank car way in the background. Only times I remember 2 trains in Indiana at the same time were when there was a derailment which happened from time to time over the years.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/3000_Ind.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  2002_Tunnel.jpg - 64182 Bytes
« Reply #109 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 12:49am »

Here's a few of the last ballast train that came in 2 weeks ago this Friday.

1st one is at the Indiana Tunnel. You can compare that to the old one I posted. Lots of growth even after brush cutting.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/2002_Tunnel.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  2002_Water_St.jpg - 68335 Bytes
« Reply #110 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 12:51am »

Here they are at Water St coming into town. They were not worried about making noise blowing full blasts at every crossing.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/2002_Water_St.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  2002_Ind_Sta.jpg - 67284 Bytes
« Reply #111 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 12:53am »

At the station. The back of the station (used to be the front) is a mess.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/2002_Ind_Sta.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Jim_O.
Historian
  2003_Rose_St.jpg - 55710 Bytes
« Reply #112 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 1:04am »

This one is of a week or two before the ballast train. The brought in a few ballast cars and pushed a few gondolas the whole way down to the new track south of Lucerne Jct. They are returning light to Indiana after dropping the gons. This is at Rose St. mentioned in Jim E's thread. Old S 13th St Ext. is in front of the furthest unit with IUP in background.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/2003_Rose_St.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
njp154
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #113 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 10:49pm »

Great update, Jim O!  Your comments about the Lucerne Branch are encouraging, there are quite a few of us who wouldn't mind seeing that old BR&P segment be reactivated.  And photo ops on the largest bridge in the county (I'm 90% sure of this fact)...

JimE - yes, that report you found is in regards to the activity discussed in this thread.  I'm not sure, but I think Jim O has pics in this thread about the crossing in question.

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #114 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 10:26am »

Largest bridge in the county would be the NS bridge over the Conemaugh River by the dam. The bridge over 119 is a neat bridge though. I hope B&P can court some business. They did take most of the yard out in Lucerne. Just 2 tracks now, the main track and a runaround track the length of the yard. If Kovalchik ships all the junk out of Indiana by IUP (they are suppose to because the land has been promised to IUP) I wonder where it's going... if it will be sold or just moved to another location. Kovalchik does own land around Lucerne and Josephine.

Still not much going on around again. I did see some track machines out this week and they've been cleaning up some old rail and stuff. It looked last week like they might be ready to do some track work on the part NS uses. Sperry truck has been in the area and lots of orange paint marks between the rails. Also, NS dumped 8 cars Sat. Nov 6th somewhere on the line

Jim O.
RAS
Enthusiast
  ns10gtunnelton111504.jpg - 114050 Bytes
« Reply #115 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 11:16pm »

Here is a hot of the NS Bridge over the Conemaugh Dam.

Enjoy,

RAS

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (114050 bytes, 1024x771 pixels)

Click Here to View Image ns10gtunnelton111504.jpg - 114050 Bytes

fquig
Railfan

« Reply #116 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 8:37am »

Very nice!!   I believe the stone viaduct was an earlier alignment.

I wonder about the history of the set of piers in the background behind the viaduct.

njp154
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #117 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 4:26pm »

I answered your question, Frank, in another thread.  That way this one doesn't get too far off topic.  Though that's not always a bad thing (remember the Penn View Mountain thread on the old Railroad.net forums?)

-Nick

ranger101
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #118 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 1:55am »

Hi everyone,
I want to take a ride to Indiana, Pa one these days to try and get some pics of the B&P units.  The pics in this thread so far are ecellent.  The question I have is when is the best day and time to see the most action?
Thanks  
Tim

Rangers Lead the Way!

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #119 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 5:00pm »

Tim- Hard to say when to expect the next train. Work trains are the only thing on the line right now and are only here as needed. Looking back we've only seen about 2 trains a month over the last few. On occasion those trains would hang around for a couple days. There's still some work to be done, but they don't seem to be in a hurry right now to get it done.  

Hard to tell at this point too, once everthing is up and running, what the frequency of trains will be. The most consistant statement I've seen over the years is B&P hopes to ship 1 million tons of coal a year to Homer City. Based on a 50 car train which they've stated would be the norm, at least to start, that would be 200 trains in a year or 3 to 4 trains a week. Obviously that could change as time goes on. They will also have to contend with NS and their schedule. Should be interesting!

Anyway, as far as taking a ride to Indiana and seeing a train... I'd say your chances are pretty slim at the moment. I would expect another ballast train in the next couple weeks. They still have about 5 miles to ballast yet.

Jim O.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »