Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops  (Read 5643 times)
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

Re: RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops

« Reply #80 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 10:40am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Word has it RJC put one on the ground in Clearfield.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #81 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 4:02am »

Interesting, i must've missed this on the scanner. woulda made some good photos for those who are into the MOW aspect of railfanning.

jeo324, Do not forget if you take the Denny's beer barrel 3lb hamburger back to your car you can watch R.J Corman's railyard from Denny's parking lot!!

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #82 on: Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:13pm »

Not sure if anybody is out railfanning the RJCP anymore but coal traffic is way up! Trains are coming and going at Keating alot these days and its normal to find 5 loadouts a week. This would equal 10 moves over the line..... Come out and see RJC5273. This tunnel is about to blow. The turbo is faling and it smokes like Ricks new steam loco. You know new paint, but no new parts makes a railroad go right?

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #83 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 6:23pm »

RJCP is now using an old N5 caboose as a shoving platform. This old girl is close is over 80yrs old now!

train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #84 on: Oct 16th, 2008, 9:11pm »

RJC loaded at Clymer today and they were in late Sunday and loaded Monday 10-13-08.Two trains this week!

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #85 on: Oct 16th, 2008, 9:56pm »

The ethanol plant is a big part of Ed Rendells "Green PA" plan so as long as the tax payers are fronting the bill the plant will go on, and for several years we will see tax money supporting opperations at the plant so ethanol will role down the rails. And in a few years after that the tax money will run out and the plant will close. Again leaving the people of clearfield without jobs. Most likely this will happen while a Rep is gov and again the people will told how the Reps are causing us to loose jobs. Sorta like Billy signing the free trade with China act and now W catching the heat for outsourcing

train_fan
Railfan
Clymer Loadout

« Reply #86 on: Dec 14th, 2008, 12:32pm »

RJC is rolling into Clymer now, I'm sure they are setting up for Monday loading.

The_Rat
Historian
  _DSC2778-1.jpg - 61572 Bytes
« Reply #87 on: Apr 27th, 2009, 8:10pm »

RJC made a Fallen Timber run on Saturday.

Here it is at Cresson, about to cut away from the second cut of coal.

The Rat

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/_DSC2778-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cavity
Historian

« Reply #88 on: May 3rd, 2009, 5:30pm »

I was reading that RJ wants to rebuild and reconstruct about 20 miles of abandoned or torn out track from Winburne up to Railroad Viaduct bridge near 80.  This would be to serve a landfill, quarry, and industrial park.  Any word on this project?  If you visit the Snowshoe trail project, they are up in arms about losing some of their trail.

Todd

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #89 on: May 6th, 2009, 9:19pm »

Well right now thats nothing more the some strong rumors. A few things will have to happen first. 1 the EPA will have to approve the landfill site, which as of now is looking 50/50 either way. 2 the local and state GOV will have to approve the landfill which is actually looking better then the EPA.  The biggest thing that will have to happen is the state will have to grant RJC a very large sum of money to put back the line. RJC dose not spend money on track at anycost, only federal and state money goes into the physical plant. If the landfil, federal, state all get together and front th bill it will happen. Personally I think it is coming, but dont look for trains to be runnig for a few years!

RJ has also bought Railpower, I already heard rumors of Gensets on every RJC line. Yes this includes Clearfield!!!!!

cavity
Historian

« Reply #90 on: May 7th, 2009, 7:30pm »

Hey Towny,

I was reading the STB reports and was thrilled that a line might be reactivated.  Hey, I drive I-80 all the time, and if my tax dollar removes even one truck to a railroad, Ill be happy.  I don think they will use the huge bridge along 80, apparently the landfill would be in the valley.
How are things on the P&W, miss it a bunch.

Todd

NSrailfan929
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #91 on: May 28th, 2009, 10:15pm »

on May 6th, 2009, 9:19pm, towny72 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
RJ has also bought Railpower, I already heard rumors of Gensets on every RJC line. Yes this includes Clearfield!!!!!

Interesting. So does that mean RJ Corman will be the damn developing the new gensets or will it still be railpower an RJ Corman just owning it. Also, are the Genset Road switchers good enough an powerful enough to replace the stand GP38, GP38-2's an SD40-2s of the clearfield lines now??

Also, what is going on with the ethanol plant. Are they actually running tank train consists on the RJ Corman an if so how many an how long are the trains??

"CSXT 400, Clear of all tracks, Release 3-Step, Stretch em out, Over"
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #92 on: May 30th, 2009, 12:58pm »

No real word on what RJ Corman plans on doing with railpower, but if you havent noticed yet they like there name on everything so I doubt it will be railpower for ever. As for the replacement of units. Rumor has it the long lived 38s  will be nothing more then a memory. Gensets for everybody..... I would like to see the #s on a genset running all 3 sets in notch8 vs 1 EMD prime mover in 8.  Is there any savings in fuel? there is a big reason EMD and GE are still cranking out standard locos.... And the class 1s are not putting these things in mainline service, or even many branch line opperations yet. Ethanol, grain, and by product will all be handled by train.... No time line as yet but look for it to start happening around the new year.

NSrailfan929
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #93 on: May 30th, 2009, 3:06pm »

Thanks for the info towny. I also would like to see what the #'s would be on fuel consumption. Call me narrow minded but I could not see a couple of those little things replacing the standard 3 to 5 GP's or SD's on the clearfield line pulling loaded coal trains up in those mountains. Do those gensets even have the adhesion that the big GP's an SD's have. I also dont know much about the gensets. I thought I saw that railpower made a genset locomotive that was a standard cab an looked identical to a normal GP38, not the low hoods on both ends like the road switcher or yard switcher. Maybe that was another company. Feel free to set me straight if needed!

On a side note, it would be nice to see a complete brand new power roster on that line. Im also interested to see how much more business the line will get with the added Grain, Ethanol an by products trains added.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #94 on: May 30th, 2009, 4:11pm »

You can go to a few of the gensets company websites and compare the #s. They actually have very very hight TE. Great for start and stop pulling in the yards, and with the 3genset units the HP isnt that bad so you can do speed with them, where I am looking for savings is like I stated before. Time will tell, and until I see GE the big dog of locomotives getting into this I dont buy into 100% just yet, and  from what I hear traffic will double on the line with the plant. DOUBLE the trains!

NSrailfan929
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #95 on: May 31st, 2009, 2:45am »

Ill take your word for it an I took a quick peek myself. Seems the numbers show good TE. I'd like to see them in action on the line tho before I put all my eggs in that basket. I still think it would be better to get some bigger Wide cabs on the line like the SD60i's or Dash 9's, then again that could be just would I would like to see as it seems those GP's an SD's are doing just fine right now. Also I think we discussed this before that six axle locomotives really push the limits on those older ties an push the gauge. That would be great if the traffic doubled, maybe they would then hire some more crews as I could imagine with all the different trains running they would have a few of the crews over lapping each other an maybe even 3 or 4 different trains running at once!

Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #96 on: Sep 6th, 2009, 11:56pm »

Applied for the Ethanol plant , the informational paper they gave applicants states...

Three UNIT trains a week of grain.

Three of Alcohol and a couple of animal feed.

So expect to see Covered Gondolas, Tank cars(already being stockpiled in the yard) and dry bulk cars.

If they go Genset's on the Clearfield lines i will puke!! The big diesel sound is 3/4 of the fun of railfanning for me. Conversion to gensets just makes them a Tractor trailer with rails under it as far as i'm concerned.

Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #97 on: Sep 6th, 2009, 11:59pm »

Applied for the Ethanol plant , the informational paper they gave applicants states...

Three UNIT trains a week of grain.

Three of Alcohol and a couple of animal feed.

So expect to see Covered Gondolas, Tank cars(already being stockpiled in the yard) and dry bulk cars.

If they go Genset's on the Clearfield lines i will puke!! The big diesel sound is 3/4 of the fun of railfanning for me. Conversion to gensets just makes them a Tractor trailer with rails under it as far as i'm concerned.

train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #98 on: Sep 19th, 2009, 5:22pm »

RJC arrived this afternoon at Clymer for Monday loading.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #99 on: Nov 21st, 2009, 11:17am »

Little update on the RJCP,  

The tanks in the yard are mostly gone and not related to the Ethanol plant. These were just storage cars.  Coal has picked up nicely with a increase in Asian demand. Bigler is now loading again(Rose Bud) and last word is sometime in the next 2-4 weeks the first grain train should make its way in.  No Gensets in sight, but one has landed in Dover Ohio on the RJC.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »