Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops  (Read 5646 times)
Steel_Wheels
Chaser
Re: RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops

« Reply #40 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 9:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Easter night around 7:30Pm a R.J. Corman unit train heaed south out of Clearfield.  Consist was 2 GP-38 Lownoses(7708 and 7709),1 Gp-38 High hood, 1 SD40 then all NS "Top Gons" and Ex-Conrail Gondolas, then Two Gp-38 Lownoses and and GP-38 High Nose at the rear.Empty probably bound fro Clymer so this answers our question about 6 Axle Engines if they had the SD-40 Hitched on. (This was not one of the Tunnel Motors)

They must be figuring on pulling or descending a grade somewhere, I'm thinking either Horseshoe into Altoona or Keating.

Anyway, they were doing about 15MPH as the train apporached the crossing i was sitting at and by the end of the train they were going 45 or 50MPH. just 1.5 miles out of the Clearfield yard. So i could not catch all the engine numbers!

I did not know that line was rated for that speed towards Curwensville!

I was waiting for that sickening sound of metal twisting as it left the tracks but it did not come. The last time i saw a train onthose tracks gogin that fast was back when Conrail owned it and they derailed in town taking a house with it. I saw it happen from my Grandfathers porch I rememebr saying "He's going to wreck isn't he?" My grandfather replied "Well he's going way to fast and isn't going to be able to stop at the yard!"

Then we saw sparks flying from the wheels of the cars and a sound i will never forget as long as i live.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 9:40pm »

Well I will be asking about that one tomorrow! This just happend today?  And they use helper for the Clymer run, and then again going to Cresson. The SD40 is the only 6 axle right now that I know of, Tunnels arent going to start showing up till the New GP38s are good to go down in KY.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #42 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 10:58pm »

Hey, towny, I have seen Photos of Tunnel motors hooked to Clearfield engines heading down river toward the tunnels along the Susquehanna.

What happend to them? I also saw pictures of the Tunnels hooked into consist in Cresson along with Clearfield GP's.

Are they in storage or something? I heard they former Southern Pacific motive power.

Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #43 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 11:01pm »

I have got to get a digital camera so i have it when i see this  stuff and so i can post it on here .

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #44 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 7:47am »

Hey Steel,  

Right now we are in the midst of a major upgrade in motive power at corman. The CKY Line is getting all 100% rebuilt GP38s from Juniata. Also a few rebuilds are going to other lines as there business picks up. The GPs from Clearfield will be going to other lines to replace older GP16s, 9s, 20s. The high hood GPs are going to Juniata for a rebuild. With all this said the tunnels that were at Clearfield now work the WV line in PAX WV. They were sent this past summer. The tunnels on the CKY Line will be sent to Clearfield to replace the GPs that will be sent out. They are having some problems with the new 38s right now so they are holding off on sending them for that reason. But we all know railroading and these plans could change overnight.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 10:11pm »

It might not be western PA news, but here at the RJC railroad meetings the subject of Mr. Corman buying a steam loco came up. Sounds like its coming from China.

Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #46 on: Apr 13th, 2007, 9:06pm »

My guess is you work for R.J. Corman?

I am looking forward to reading about R.J. Corman's business in the June 2007 "Trains".

BTW, why go to china to get one, there are two steamers sitting in Marienville, Pa. that have not ran since the Owner of the Knox and Kane Embargoed himself three years ago after the Kinzua Viaduct bit the pink weenie!

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 1:48am »

Steel, if you knew Mr Corman you would understand. This man dosent care about his workers or America. This guy is all about money in his pocket. Ask the workers about how much they were paid after he got a 28 million dollar bonus for help in the Katrina clean up. ZERO for the working man. So if he could get a bargin on a made in china loco he would be all over it!

Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #48 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 12:46pm »

So in other words he is like 98% of corporate america. Sad but thats the way they see people expendable assets.

Someday that will change, because as Americans age and retire there is gogin to be a labor shortage across the board and companies will have to fight each other for employees.

But then thats is dependant on all the jobs not going to Asia first.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 11:08am »

It is sad. I would have to say from all the places I have worked Corman probably is the biggest offender of this. But thats a non union railroad for you.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: May 9th, 2007, 9:03pm »

Atlas just came out with a run of GP38s in Nscale with that awful corman RED! LOL I guess if you work around it long enough it comes off as a bad thing! Anyway for any Nscalers and fans of Clearfield opps you can now get a GP38! I would stay away from the Intermountain SD40Ts I have 3 so far and I am really disapointed with the quality!

Steel_Wheels
Chaser
  9179TQ-2.jpg - 61115 Bytes
« Reply #51 on: May 14th, 2007, 9:52pm »

Already have the two HO scale GP-38's they produced of Corman engines.

The one is 7709 an actual Clearfield engine!! Never thought i would have an HO scale model of a engine out of Clearfield yard.

I also bought the other Gp-38 they produced too, i think they were only out a month!

But i was lucky and got both.

Picture of Atlas's GP-38 7709 below.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/9179TQ-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Jun 5th, 2007, 9:44pm »

Well motive power news! Silver roofs! Yes silver roofs. If you didnt know a good deal of the high ups are ex CSX people. CSX has gone with the white roofs to help with heat. Now RJ Corman wanted to help its crews as well. So far two repaints have the silver roof. Looks goofy but I doubt we will see this in Clearfield. PA is the last place you will ever see the paint crew painting locos. Now if we ever see a GP38 rebuild up here it might come with the silver roof

Jim_O.
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 4:20pm »

When I first went up to Clearfield to check out the Corman, quite a few years ago, about the time RJC got the CR GP38's, they had a tarp paint booth set up right by the yard office. The 7710 if I remember the number right, was in this booth all masked off to be painted. Not sure how many they did there at the time, but they did paint some units right there in the yard.

Jim O.
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 6:05pm »

I would say all the GP38s they got needed a dip then. most you can still see the conrail blue in spots. If the tarp was set up next to the offices back when corman took over you are seeing cormans way of doing things. Paint it red before it pulls its first train. The high hood GPs are ex southern units, they came from other places on the system. Last time I got a good look at the paint Id say in corman standards they are over due. In normal rr standards they have 10 years to go!

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 8:22pm »

Heads up corman fans. Talking with some people today at work and RJC has unleashed two new items to the paint. Silver roof paint! I guess like CSX they are trying to keep the crews a bit cooler. The other thing is the unit number on the nose of the tunnels. I guess where the old SP lights went they are putting the unit number! Havent seen that yet, not sure what that will look like. Of course up here in the North we prob arent going to see the paint crew for some time.

Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #56 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:34am »

Hey, Towny, questions for you. Drove down Bigler Ave. past the business park and looked over in your Clearfield yard and saw a former Conrail engine in the consist with a safety cab. Leased or bought or borrowed from Norfolk Southern?

Also it does not seem like you guys are are busy at all anymore, business slow?

My brothers mother in law had a theory when Corman bought the line back in the 1990's that R.J. Corman just bought it to close it later for a tax write off. I told her she was wrong and so far i've been right, but it seems like you guys are hurting for stuff to move unless you get a coal transfer for PPLX.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:01am »

1. Every once in a while NS will leave power on a train and we will run it. That is the Conrail unit you saw, should have been a former Con SD60 in the lashup.

2. Things have backed off a bit lately, but this was a strong week. We are down to about 3 trains per week now, plus a lil side work for lumber and salt.

3. Corman did not purchase this for tax reasons. Infact due to the amount of coal up to just a few years ago RJC PA lines were the big earning RR for the company. Rumors did come up that RJC was looking to get out of it for a while, but now that 2 ethanol plants and two trash dumps are working on using RJC for service the car load amount will tripple, so RJC PA lines will once again become the big earning RR.  

4. The first of the new GP38-2 is being rebuilt right now that will come to the PA lines. Late summer?  The last two high hoods are next to go to Altoona.

Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #58 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 10:56pm »

Yeah, I believe you said about the High Hoods going in for rebuild before, or it could've been the guy i talk to over at Fishel's hobby Center in DuBois, he talks to a Corman guy who goes in there from time to time.

He did not know about the silver roofs though.

I thought that was a 60 series locomotive but was not sure since it's the first i have ever saw with a wide safety cab on it from Conrail all the other s i have ever seen conrail running had the standard small hood type cab.

Jim_O.
Historian
  RJC_Clearfield_PB.jpg - 149298 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 9:22pm »

Towny, Dug these up. I forgot to look at the date I took them, but obviously would correspond to when RJC got the 38's from Conrail. I was wrong about the number in the paint tent (can't tell), but the 7710 was there.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/RJC_Clearfield_PB.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Jim O.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »