Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2018, 8:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western Pennsylvania
(Moderator: fquig)
   RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops  (Read 5645 times)
train_fan
Railfan
Re: RJ Corman Pennsylvania Lines ops

« Reply #20 on: Feb 26th, 2004, 7:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

RJ Corman came into Clymer around 2:30 pm today and the first coal drag left around 6:30 pm ,they are loading the second half now. I never remember them loading this late.Just wanted to pass this on.

K4s 1361
Railfan
  9179TQ.jpg - 61115 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 5:32pm »

Alcoman, You from Clearfield Curwensville area? I'm from Clearfield.
I believe R.J. Corman operates on Norfolk southerns frequency as they hook in to them at both ends of their operation. The Keating Mainline and the Harrisburg/Pittsburgh mainline.

BTW, Atlas put a limited run(1 month) of two different Gp-38's of R.J. Corman. They went about $130 a piece i got both. the one is a Clearfield Engine 7709 see picture below.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/9179TQ.jpg
Click Image to Resize

I wish i was there when steam ruled the rails!!

The Brickleys from Germany Originals since 1750.
bwparker1
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 2:41pm »

Railfan posting on RJC operations in Pennsylvania have been eerily quiet over the past couple of years.  Do they still run down to Leslie anymore through Philipsburg, PA? Any new or lost customers worthy of note?

Brooks

Brooks W. Parker
Glastonbury, CT
train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #23 on: Mar 3rd, 2007, 7:30am »

Somehow the postings got over on the RJC Yahoo Groups they have two sites on there.RJC loaded Friday at Clymer,the day before they had a track crew in working around they loading dock.When they came in for Friday's loading they didn't pull all the way up to the dock as we had a lot of rain Thursday nite.They came in sometime thru the night I didn't even hear them.

K4s 1361
Railfan
  2005070512540628415.jpg - 120026 Bytes
« Reply #24 on: Mar 3rd, 2007, 9:19pm »

I do not believe there is any through service in Philipsburg anymore. They kind of use that line a Wye. I believe they filed for abandonment of anything from Philipsburg to Osceola Mills , Pa.

I watch this line as it is the one my Grandfather worked on whenit was NYC("Beech Creek Extension Railroad" not to be confused with the original "Beech Creek R.R." that also terminated in Clearfield but went down through Snowshoe) Then he Worked for PennCentral and retired from Conrail out of the Clearfield yard now owned by R.J.Corman.

I do know they still load at the Bradford Coal Tipple in Bigler from time to time, in fact they started one heck of a Forest fire with sparks off their wheels a couple years ago, we were there for almost 12 hours trying to get that one out.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/2005070512540628415.jpg
Click Image to Resize

K4s 1361
Railfan

« Reply #25 on: Mar 3rd, 2007, 9:24pm »

As for business, For about a year they have actually been running NS Engines and Consist over their line, using their Engineers and conductors. Some type of agreement between them to save time handing off the trains for the interchange.

Anyway, The Keating to Cresson part is gogi to be busier than a "One legged man at a Kick Boxing tournament" here in a couple years.

2 Ethanol plants running on waste coal are to be built here in Clearfield county and a Waste coal electricity generating plant in the next two years.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 9:55pm »

Hey guys, Well call me an insider. Look for tunnel motors to start showing up. The 38s are heading to Kenntuck. They are sending the 6axle power up to Clearfield in hopes to limit the amount of units per train. On the kenntucky line the haul short aluminium trains at high speeds so two gp38s are what they are trying. These will be rebuilt at altoona. Two already are on the rails.....really nice units.  No more 5unit lash ups of 38s......Lets all hope for he area that the ethanol plant comes soon. I know according to some of the guys on the train crews if they had a buck for evertime the plant talks come up they could retire....For you modelers, if there is certian units you want some pics of let me know. Ill do my best next time I am at the shops.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #27 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 3:40pm »

The last I heard when they got the tunnel motors,they didn't think they would come to Clymer,because of the sharp turns on the loop?

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 9:53pm »

For as often as they load up there I think the track can handle the 6axle power. I think its more of a not wanting change then 6axles not working.......................

train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #29 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 9:34pm »

I talked to one of the Clearfield track guys today at Kwik-Fill in Clymer as he was filling up his truck,and he said he had a couple track repairs to make and they may be in sometime tonite for Friday loading at Clymer.I asked him about the six axles and he thought they had the tracks in good enough shape to bring them over here.I remember when they bought those and they sat over at Cresson,we went over and looked them over that's when the guy's that always come here said they didn't think they would ever get to Clymer.I'm off tomorrow maybe I'll find out more.

K4s 1361
Railfan

« Reply #30 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 10:20pm »

Yes , there have been SD-40T's on the line for some time at least on the Cresson to Keating portion running through Clearfield County, I cannot speak for you Indiana County folks.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 8:35am »

The plan of for motive power is the Central Kentucky is getting newly rebuilt GP38's coming out of Altoona. They have two so far and are working bugs out right now. These were purchased from CSX I think. With the new 38's coming on line the Tunnels from CK are heading north the Clearfield and the 38's that are there now are going to be sent out on the system to replace some of the old GP9's, GP16's etc. Not all of the 38's will go, but I would think about half of them will leave. (rumor is the high hoods are going to be rebuilt as well) 2 of the original tunnels went to WV last year to work the mine load out there. They are supposed to get another for a spare.

train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #32 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 9:45am »

They are on the way somewhere now to Clymer,someone just called George and said several inches of coal are on the track at the loadout and they don't want him to pull up in until they clear it off.They had all the loaders ready to load this am the one coal hauler said.As far as I have ever seen just the 38's have been to Clymer.

K4s 1361
Railfan

« Reply #33 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 2:12pm »

How do they get to Clymer from Clearfield? I looked at a topographical map book i have and it shows, either the line from Cherry tree, or the line from McGees mills( although it looks like this is a siding and the McGees mills goes on to Punxatawney.

Does R.J. Corman run the Cherry tree line down into North Cambria too?

I don't actually know anyone working for Corman so i can't ask them.

I thought all they were running was through traffic for NS from Cresson to Keating, boy am i getting an education, they must be running lines i thought were abandoned years ago.

bwparker1
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 10:03pm »

http://www.rjcorman.com/pennsylvania.htm

http://www.rjcorman.com/allentown.htm

Brooks W. Parker
Glastonbury, CT
train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #35 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 9:31pm »

I looked at that map,if I remember correctly the track doesn't go toward Spangler anymore ,I think it leaves Cherry Tree and goes towards Clymer?I don't think it crosses Rt. 240 anymore.

K4s 1361
Railfan

« Reply #36 on: Mar 16th, 2007, 10:18pm »

Doesn't surprise me they have done a lot of abandonment the past few years on the Pennsylvania lines.

I got an update on the Wallacton line that runs into the Bigler , Pa. Tipple.

I go this right from a guy who works for Bradford Coal the former owner of the tipple. They sold it about 4 years ago and the company that bought the tipple isn't doing anything with it right now. It has not loaded coal onto trains in over a year. So Corman isn't stopping there. I suspected this as i saw the rails covered with snow and un disturbed over the past few weeks.

I know Corman used to load quite a bit of coal out of that tipple at least a few trains a week.

train_fan
Railfan

« Reply #37 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 9:55pm »

RJC loaded at Clymer today.Check the Railway Age website about RJC getting a 58.9 million loan for repairs on engines and to purchase new equipment.Just a bit of old news my cousin belongs to the Indiana Historical Society,they put out a newsletter "Clark House News"and in last months issue,Feb.13,1907-Engine Knocked From Track-A freight train from Clymer and one from Heilwood,both bound for Cherry Tree,both came together at Possum Glory Saturday and the engine of the Cherry Tree & Dixonville train was knocked off the track and into Twolick creek.The crews of both trains jumped in time to save themselves.I thought this was interesting.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

fuelrack.jpg - 85173 Bytes
« Reply #38 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 8:37am »

Here is 6 RJC units on the pad getting service.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/fuelrack.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steel_Wheels
Chaser
  usa1843.jpg - 35738 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Apr 6th, 2007, 9:27pm »

Did R.J.Corman aquire the Dubois, Pa. yard and tracks from B&P?

A few weeks ago "EMTrailfan" asked me why he was seeing R.J. Corman engines in Dubois yard, he had photos of them.

Tonight in the April 6th,2007 edition of the Clearfield "Progress" newspaper there was a report from the Dubois City council meeting.

Anyway it mentioned asking for R.J. Corman's permission to 'bore under their rail line to run a new water line into RESCAR( A rail car repair facility).

This is odd since i thought B&P owned the line and railyard in Dubois, RESCAR is right beside the railyard.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WestPenn/usa1843.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »