Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 24th, 2017, 8:20am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

GTL - The Wabash Edition
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Wabash
(Moderator: dti407)
   GTL - The Wabash Edition
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: GTL - The Wabash Edition  (Read 361 times)
Norm_Anderson
Historian
Re: GTL - The Wabash Edition

« Reply #20 on: Mar 3rd, 2016, 12:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Vern and R.C.,

I made my guess based on a google search of the H. Hey Rag & Metal Co. (seen on the building in the background).  They list the company as located in Kansas City.  Just now, I googled "Kansas City Flood" and discovered that the city was inundated by a major flood on May 31, 1903.  This would seem to agree with the time period suggested in the photo-- though major flooding in Kansas City seems to happen about once or twice every decade.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2016, 12:38pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

WAB_KC_1903.jpg - 303171 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Mar 3rd, 2016, 1:11pm »

Nice work, Norm, I thought after my last go around that I couldn't have made it easier!.......Sure, most people think "big river, flood, Mississippi, St. Louis!", but not in this case. The Wabash's frieght advantage was it's direct line from KC to Detroit, avoiding Chicago.

The Little Richard, John Lennon and James Brown clue? They all recorded popular versions of the song "Kanasas City",  

The "Come To My Window" clue? KC is the home of Mellissa Etheridge

And lastly, the nobility and the tribe clues? The KC Royals, and the KC Chiefs

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (303171 bytes, 1600x809 pixels)

Click Here to View Image WAB_KC_1903.jpg - 303171 Bytes

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2016, 1:31pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

One down, one to go.......
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Mar 3rd, 2016, 3:55pm »

R.C., thank you for posting the Stereopticon view!!

I went to the Photo Resizer, reduced it to about 25%, and if I get the right distance from the screen and relax my eyes, I can see the scene in 3D!

That's a lot of water!!

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2016, 3:57pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Mar 6th, 2016, 11:28am »

Norm - R.C. - Lodge Members -

Norm. Your writer gave some thought to attempting to 'Google check' the name of the business displayed. Image resolution for screen  
on my reliable laptop such it difficult discern the business name. Too, with your analysis, a presumption the Photo may well date to 1903.

Otherwise. Ages back, your writer with experience on a rate desk with a Buffalo area shipper. Other assigned duties included securing  
empty box cars, and electing routes of moves, Buffalo to various long (incl transcon) hauls.

The charms of WABASH? Great service route for BUF - Kansas City shipment. Also worked very well for BUF - Omaha on transcon, for  
OMA connection to CB&Q or UPRR. On some other routings, tended to prefer WABASH - ROCK ISLAND - ESPEE on some Los Angeles  
movements. In each case, the attraction of WABASH being it did not run thru Chicago...

..............................Vern.....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

WAB-4.jpg - 69264 Bytes
« Reply #24 on: Apr 26th, 2016, 1:38pm »

Well, we haven't "G'd" a Wabash "L" in a while here, so let's begin, shall we?

You don't need to go South of the Border to visit this location, and when "New" in 1836, was home of two mid-South railroads in 1858 and 1872 respectfully, and was also known as the shipping point for horses and mules, as it is in it's state's "Bluegrass" belt.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Wabash/WAB-4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Apr 27th, 2016, 1:42pm »

T.L. - Lodge Members -

This one just a bit slick and insidious, yes? WAB handled the UPRR Streamliner between St. Louis and Omaha.  
So, the Photo implies a site in Missouri. An earlier trans-load point, which shipped "Missouri Mules"?

Possibly Jefferson City? Your writer not so familiar with many of the Missouri points to say...

All Right! Allow me to put this in play? MOBERLY, MO............

................................Vern..........................

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2016, 3:40pm by HwyHaulier » Logged

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Apr 28th, 2016, 8:46am »

Mmmmm, Vern, if you only knew how close you were!

You are in the right part of Missouri, that is for sure, and I see many towns that share a name with slightly more famous towns in Pennsylvania nearby to the southwest, as well as towns that share names with a state or two to the North and East.

That, along with my other clues, should help you to "G" The "L"............

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: May 2nd, 2016, 11:18am »

So Vern, need more? How about........This city holds a pageant that is a prelude to another one that is historically held in Atlantic City......

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #28 on: May 2nd, 2016, 12:26pm »

on May 2nd, 2016, 11:18am, Thinkin Lincoln wrote:       (Click here for original message)
So Vern, need more? How about........This city holds a pageant that is a prelude to another one that is historically held in Atlantic City......

T. L. - Lodge Members -

All Right! Your writer will play! How about COLUMBIA, MO?

............................Vern..............................

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: May 2nd, 2016, 3:08pm »

Ayi-yi-yi! So close Amigo, so close.......Think more Yucatan, not so much Amazon.....Or, less Sofia Vergara, more Ricardo Montalban.....

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2016, 3:09pm by Flemington Flyer » Logged

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #30 on: May 3rd, 2016, 7:24am »

T.L., this is the first photo I have seen of Union Pacific's City of St. Louis being pulled behind Wabash power.  A great find!  Trains 9 and 10 operated over UP rails between Los Angeles and Kansas City, and were hosted by the Wabash between Kansas City and St. Louis.

Your trail of tortilla crumbs seems to lead convincingly to Mexico, Missouri.  This town was important enough to rate bold print in the timetable, and no passenger train (not even the lordly City of St. Louis) rolled by the depot without stopping to pay its respects.  The city is just about 110 miles west of St. Louis, and appears to be the closest Wabash depot to the capital at Jefferson City.

Regards,

Norm

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

WAB_Mexico_MO_Bill_Gibson_michaelckelly.net.jpg - 211929 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: May 3rd, 2016, 8:35am »

Ding, ding, Norm's got it!

Yes, Mexico (originally NEW Mexico), Missouri, circa April 1959

This is a Bill Gibson photo via www.michaelckelly.net

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Wabash/WAB_Mexico_MO_Bill_Gibson_michaelckelly.net.jpg
Click Image to Resize

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #32 on: May 3rd, 2016, 10:16am »

Norm - T. L. - Those Having Business Here - Lodge Members -

MEXICO, MO, Indeed! It crossed my mind, obviously after you figured it.

Meanwhile, WAB handling of City Of St. Louis Streamliner. Might be quite doubtful it used 'pool power' which would have  
run thru to and from Los Angeles? Or, with this example? Likely there were a few units which painted in UPRR colors? For  
whatever reason, not available at time and date of Photo. The UPRR schedule, therefore, shown with WAB power?

Beats me! My FWIW conjecture. Recall at Chicago, some MILW Road power painted to match UPRR...

.............................Vern.........................

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #33 on: May 3rd, 2016, 11:30am »

Yeah, Vern I had always just assumed that UP just kept its power on the point east of Kansas City, so this photo of Wabash Es pulling Armour yellow was startling.  For all I know, though, this may have been the usual practice.

Milwaukee's partnership with UP was far broader, and involved many more trains than just the one.  I believe that, following the 1955 partnership deal, the Milwaukee adopted Armour yellow as its standard passenger scheme, applying it even to trains that never saw UP rails.  However, east of Omaha they were most likely Milwaukee Es painted UP colors that did the honors.

I recall, too, that the California Zephyr's fluted stainless steel was seen in the care of power painted D&RGW orange, and WP orange-and-silver.  So, my assumption about the City of St. Louis was probably just naive.

Regards,

Norm

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #34 on: May 3rd, 2016, 1:00pm »

Norm - Lodge Members -

As your writer does not know any of the players still around, and with knowledge of operating details...

Cannot imagine that UPRR power ran east of KCY, so to cover the St. Louis schedule. To do it implies WAB power in a  
"pool power" arrangement west of KCY? It also suggests agreement with the Unions on many operations details?

Did the scenario ever happen? To this writer, at least, can't see it...

...............................Vern.................................

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #35 on: May 3rd, 2016, 4:33pm »

Vern, I am always at risk of saying more than I know, but I'll rely on my own personal observations growing up in Southern California, pre-Amtrak.

I did see UP City  Domeliners with Milwaukee E-uniits spliced in among the Union Pacific E's, but they were invariably painted in the full Armour yellow treatment, so the only distinguishing features were the lettering on the sides.  Similarly, the passenger cars were a mixture of UP and Milwaukee equipment, but again, everything was painted Armour yellow.  I never saw a maroon-and-orange Milwaukee loco or car, nor did I ever see Wabash blue.

For the rest of this, I am recalling videos I have seen . . . farther north, the City of San Francisco and Overland were almost always pulled behind SP "bloody nose" units west of Ogden.  I don't recall a single instance of Armour yellow E's making it to Oakland-- if any ever did, they were probably as solitary units spliced in among SP dark grey.  Also, Espee apparently was loath to allow much of its own equipment off the property, so one was much more likely to see UP cars on SP rails, than vice-versa.

All of that to say, I doubt that Wabash power ever made it to Cheyenne or other points west.  As I type this, I seem to recall that they did maintain a few lightweight cars, painted Armour yellow but lettered for Wabash, for use in the City of St. Louis service.  If there were any Wabash locos similarly painted, I don't recall ever seeing one, either in photo or in person.

Regards,

Norm

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #36 on: May 4th, 2016, 10:20am »

Norm - Lodge Members -

Perhaps much of operations details somewhere in myriad WAB and UPRR accounts, books and reports.  
With the KCY - STL schedule handled by WAB, appears unlikely it a "pool power" agreement, which would  
put the WAB power off line west of KCY. Also, seems doubtful if any WAB units in Armour Yellow?  
Your writer with no certainty about it.

The "Overland Route" services, CGO - OAK (SFO) another matter altogether. The new streamline trains
appeared before WWII. Service route, C&NW - UPRR - SPRR; much of it well documented by Lucius Beebe.  

.........................Vern......................

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2016, 12:07pm by HwyHaulier » Logged

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »