Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 19th, 2018, 11:27am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Civil War Skirmish
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Wilmington & Western
(Moderators: J. M. Fusco, NHIWW)
   Civil War Skirmish
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Civil War Skirmish  (Read 584 times)
Railfan Entertainments
Historian
Civil War Skirmish

« on: Jun 6th, 2009, 4:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Is anyone planning to be at the WWRR's first annual 'Civil War Skirmish?' I'm trying to go, and so far it's in my favor. And does anyone know for sure what engine will be running? I'm guessing 98.

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Civil War Skirmish

« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2009, 6:44pm »

Sorry, not the "first annual."

Until 1999 floods (which happened the weekend of that years scheduled Skirmish) it had been going on for many years. Always held in September.  

Better weather IMO.

The Lantern Camp tours at Greenbank and night trip to Mt Cuba (steam) were always an experience. The Re-enactors would board the train just as if they were "going to Richmond", and would be in character all through the trip. Live music, attempts at high-jacking the train, gun salute at Mt Cuba Grove...all was a great time.  

Sadly, they cancelled the night trips a year or two before the flooding.  

Always sold a good number of tickets for that trip too.

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2009, 9:54pm »

OK, well how about first annual within a few years?

Thanks for that info.

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Jun 8th, 2009, 7:06pm »

I shall be there. Breaking in my new Jeep by chasing its first ever steam train and working on the train Sunday. Aught to be a fun time. Barley Mill tangent is a great place to do it and I look forward to the show. First one I've been on since 1998.

I believe 98 is schedued to do the honors as she was always the one to power them in the past. Don't hold me to that though.  

Hope to see s good crowd!  
Mark

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jun 9th, 2009, 12:24pm »

on Jun 8th, 2009, 7:06pm, wwrrvolunteer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I shall be there. Breaking in my new Jeep by chasing its first ever steam train and working on the train Sunday. Aught to be a fun time. Barley Mill tangent is a great place to do it and I look forward to the show. First one I've been on since 1998.

I believe 98 is schedued to do the honors as she was always the one to power them in the past. Don't hold me to that though.  

Hope to see s good crowd!  
Mark

Maybe you can show me the chasing roads. I've never been to the WWRR before and will need some guidance.

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #5 on: Jun 9th, 2009, 3:41pm »

Sure I think i can manage that. There are a lot of good angles to be had and I want to try for a video of the skirmish at Barley Mill. Can't miss me, I got the Jeep with the WWRR sticker

Mark

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jun 9th, 2009, 4:50pm »

on Jun 9th, 2009, 3:41pm, wwrrvolunteer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sure I think i can manage that. There are a lot of good angles to be had and I want to try for a video of the skirmish at Barley Mill. Can't miss me, I got the Jeep with the WWRR sticker

Mark

OK, and I'll either be in a white Chevy Lumina with a big dent in the right rear door, or in a green Chevy S-10 with a lot of antennas.  

Is the skirmish going to happen while people are on the train, or will the passengers be dropped off and watch it on the ground? I'm still debating weather to ride one train and photograph the other, or chase both.

wwrrfan
Enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Jun 9th, 2009, 7:11pm »

well you have the choice of sitting in the coaches and looking out the window or if you know the conducter he/she might let you sit on the steps likee i did but yes if it is the same as before then you will stay on the coaches

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Jun 9th, 2009, 7:39pm »

on Jun 9th, 2009, 7:11pm, wwrrfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
well you have the choice of sitting in the coaches and looking out the window or if you know the conducter he/she might let you sit on the steps likee i did but yes if it is the same as before then you will stay on the coaches

Your the only person I know who volunteers/works on the WWRR. So the steps thing probably won't work out too well.  

If I won't be able to get off the coaches, I'll probably just chase both trains.

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2009, 7:39pm by Railfan Entertainments » Logged

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Jun 10th, 2009, 7:02pm »

Yeah they used to let some of the passengers stand on the steps or on the open vestibule platforms, but as far as I know the passengers will be staying on-board the train for the "battle". I would reccommend riding a trip just to see what its like. There will be plenty of pictures to be had on the second trip. Plus, you can always come back the next day

Mark

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10th, 2009, 8:01pm »

on Jun 10th, 2009, 7:02pm, wwrrvolunteer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yeah they used to let some of the passengers stand on the steps or on the open vestibule platforms, but as far as I know the passengers will be staying on-board the train for the "battle". I would reccommend riding a trip just to see what its like. There will be plenty of pictures to be had on the second trip. Plus, you can always come back the next day

Mark

The only two reason why I wouldn't be able to make it on Sunday is 1) it's a 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive my house, and 2) I don't really railfan on Sundays.

OK, I will only ride if I get a cabride. Just kidding. I might ride. It really depends on the lighting and sun position.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #11 on: Jun 10th, 2009, 8:40pm »

Remember to buy a ticket even if you aren't riding.

Help keep your chasing venue alive.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: Jun 10th, 2009, 9:10pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Jun 10th, 2009, 8:01pm, Railfan Entertainments wrote:       (Click here for original message)

OK, I will only ride if I get a cabride.

Last I checked, the RR offered cab rides. Not sure of their rules and regulations about them if they still do.

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #13 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 8:22am »

Yes, we do offer cab rides. Arrangements have to be made in advance through the railroad office. Their number is (302)-998-1930. Cab rides for the steamers are some where in the $200 dollar range last I checked, but it is well worth the ride!  

Didn't know you had such a long distance to come. Yeah that would be a bit of a trek for two more trips. Yes, everyone planning to chase remember that the railroad does accept donations and you can always buy a ticket just to help keep steam rolling down the line.  

Mark

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 9:50am »

on Jun 11th, 2009, 8:22am, wwrrvolunteer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yes, we do offer cab rides. Arrangements have to be made in advance through the railroad office. Their number is (302)-998-1930. Cab rides for the steamers are some where in the $200 dollar range last I checked, but it is well worth the ride!  

Didn't know you had such a long distance to come. Yeah that would be a bit of a trek for two more trips. Yes, everyone planning to chase remember that the railroad does accept donations and you can always buy a ticket just to help keep steam rolling down the line.  

Mark

$200 bucks? It does seem fair, but I just don't have that kind of money. Yeah, I'm basically in the middle of nowhere when it comes to tourist railroads. That's why I haven't been up there before.

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 9:52am »

Oh, one more question, who is suppose to win, the Yankees or Rebs? Or do I have to find that out for myself?

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2009, 9:52am by Railfan Entertainments » Logged

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Jun 12th, 2009, 1:48pm »

Haha, I was trying to figure that out last night. I would guess since we are in a "northern" state, it would be the yankees, but they don't tell us. It is not only a surprise to the passengers, but the train crews too  

I am gonna try my best to make it tomorrow. I got sick yesterday and had a fever till this morning. If I can't make it, you'll have to rely on google maps!  

Mark

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Jun 12th, 2009, 4:32pm »

on Jun 12th, 2009, 1:48pm, wwrrvolunteer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Haha, I was trying to figure that out last night. I would guess since we are in a "northern" state, it would be the yankees, but they don't tell us. It is not only a surprise to the passengers, but the train crews too  

I am gonna try my best to make it tomorrow. I got sick yesterday and had a fever till this morning. If I can't make it, you'll have to rely on google maps!  

Mark

Gotta love google maps. Hope you can make it tomorrow.

I'm going to wear my gray T-shirt in honor of the Confederates.

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 2:22pm »

The weather said only 50% chance of rain. Yeah, right. It downpoured.  

Here's a link to some of my pictures.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=45557

alco9809
Railfan

« Reply #19 on: Jun 16th, 2009, 11:35pm »

Here's my video taken from sunday's Civil War Skirmish trains.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8qHGwThYts

Steve

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »