Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 25th, 2018, 2:24am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Equiptment Discussion
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Wilmington & Western
(Moderators: J. M. Fusco, NHIWW)
   Equiptment Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Equiptment Discussion  (Read 737 times)
wwrrvolunteer
Railfan
Equiptment Discussion

« on: Nov 6th, 2008, 10:22am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi everyone,  
I thought I'd start up a topic for WWRR equiptment such as coaches, cabooses, track stuffs etc.  

To kick it off: Ms. Landenberg railroads and I were having a talk yesterday about some old Lantern Articles and one talked about there being a coach 604. Apparently it had come with the 603 or something along those lines. Anyway, does anyone know anything about this coach and what might have happened to it?  

Thanks,
Mark

wwbackshop
Enthusiast
Re: Equiptment Discussion

« Reply #1 on: Nov 6th, 2008, 4:44pm »

Coach 604 was purchased by some of the volunteers back in the mid 1970's. It was located in Concordville Pa. on the Wawa & Concordville Railroad. As time went on it seemed nearly impossible to get the coach transported out of the area so, sorry to say but it was scrapped .. The only remaining parts are the trucks.

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Nov 6th, 2008, 5:21pm »

That's a shame. Ah well, at least we still have the 4 of them running here. Would you happen to know what became of the trucks? Extra parts for ours perhaps?  

Thanks for the info.  

wwbackshop
Enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: Nov 7th, 2008, 4:35pm »

spares

port_richmond
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Nov 7th, 2008, 4:37pm »

Mark,
   Perhaps the trucks located in Marshallton? I have seen them...........

See you soon,

Eric

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #5 on: Nov 7th, 2008, 10:37pm »

I may be mistaken, but wasn't one or both of the sets put under the 571 more recently (5-6 years ago)?

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12th, 2008, 7:15am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I have a question about that open air gondola like we have up at the WK&S. How often is that used, and why isn't it used on the regular trips? Would look great between the coaches and the caboose(s).

Would be nice to ride that line in the summer, with that car on. The roofed one doesn't do th justice at 10MPH.

- Adam

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #7 on: Nov 12th, 2008, 10:39am »

If you are talking about our Hay Car (80581) we don't put that on every train anymore because it requires the uniformed train crew to move it all out of the crew car, where its stored, and onto the car before each trip. We used to be able to put the entire car under cover before the 442 qnd the 6795 came along, but since there is no longer any room to store it in the engine house we don't do that anymore.  

If you are referring to the old "Chicken Car," it was stripped down to the frame and now serves as the tie car which I believe is currently up in Yourklyn.  

Hope that answers your question.

Mark

Strasburg31
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Nov 12th, 2008, 10:50am »

I thought, and let me just say that I am by no means an insider, that the car up in Yorklyn was the former wooden open car that had once been a Jersey Central boxcar, and Bethlehem Steel passenger conveyance, long before coming down to the Wilmington and Western.  I believe that car was cut down to be a flat car sometime around 2003.

Long ago, Bethlehem Steel took 7 Jersey Central wooden boxcars and converted them into special open cars for their plant tours.  In the mid 1960's these were sold to SE Pennsylvania rail enthusiast, Larry Myers for use on his Wawa & Concordville Railroad (A short lived tourist line mentioned earlier on this thread).  He used 6 of them on the W&C, while one stayed in storage in Chester, PA.  4 of the 6 W&C cars were scraped in 1980 but two, which wee privately owned remained in Concordville.
The one in Chester was bought by W&W volunteers and was used for a short time there.   Sadly, one of the two remaining open cars was scraped in Concordville, just this year.  The remaining one is used for storage, but is in cosmetically deplorable condition.  The frame of the one that was scraped this year is still sitting there.

Paul

Write to Old Tucson Movie Studios and ask them to donate the V&T Reno, #11 to a museum.
www.oldtucson.com
wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Nov 12th, 2008, 11:06am »

Paul,  
Yes you are right. I got them mixed up. There were three open type cars: the chicken car, the flatcar, and the Bethlehem Steel boxcar. Sorry for the mix up. I was trying to picture them all in my mind and ended up confusing myself Don't know if the "chicken" is still around or not. I was told a while back, but don't remember for sure. Here is a picture of the box in current condition.  

(Refer to KENTANDQUEENANNERR photo)

http://forums.railfan.net/image.cgi?WWRR/100_2414.jpg

Mark

Christian_S.
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12th, 2008, 10:52pm »

Anyone have a close-up of the boxcar behind the 8408 in that last photo? What kind of condition is it in, and is it presently in service?

PENNSY_BOcabeese
Railfan
  WWRR_6-23-07_092_774x518.jpg - 135033 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13th, 2008, 12:53am »

The red box car behind the 8408 (now the 114 in this photo) has most of a Conrail logo on it, but also has a small NYC stencil and number. The grey car behind the flat is an old camp car one of two on the railroad, this car stores the Hay for the Hayride flat car, but it does has nice wood sides in the different compartments. Here is a photo from June 07 showing most of the boxcar, the primer on the car is only covering the kiddie's art work, no restoration being done. The car seems to be in OK shape, but it is out of service just used for storage, it might of moved once in the past year or so to get the fireless cooker out.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/WWRR_6-23-07_092_774x518.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Strasburg31
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13th, 2008, 1:24pm »

Mark...

Thanks for the info...I love seeing ANY old Wawa and Concordville equipment, (and there is one MORE piece of former W&C equipment on the property, in two pieces)

Also...love the photo of 8408 Mark....one of my favorite 1st Greneration diesels!!!!

BTW...what is the latest on:

The Fireless Cooker?   I heard it MAY be placed on display

Whether or not to purchase the SW-900?

and the building of a new Business Office?

I called and renewed my membership yesterday.....if anyone reading this isn't a member....become one now!!!!  It's SOOOO worth it!!!!!!

Paul

Write to Old Tucson Movie Studios and ask them to donate the V&T Reno, #11 to a museum.
www.oldtucson.com
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #13 on: Nov 13th, 2008, 1:51pm »

Anyone have a picture of the fireless cooker?

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #14 on: Nov 13th, 2008, 5:47pm »

Hi Paul,  
Thanks, I love 8408 too, shh don't tell 98.  

The cooker is still on the #4 track down at Marshallton awaiting a dedicated volunteer restoration group to give her a cosmetic and it is supposed to go on display at Greenbank Station, exactly where I don't know.  

All I can tell you about the 915 is that it is on a 4 month lease to us and once that time is up, we can make the decision to keep it, extend the lease, or send it back to Everett. The decision will be made by the paid staff and it will go from there, sorry I can't tell you more.  

As for our new Marshallton Office, I haven't heard a word about it since spring. I don't know if they are still planning or postponing or what. I do know that they had Survey stakes in the groung in early summer and they have since disappeared.  

Glad to hear you re-newed. I have to myself...thanks for the reminder! Folks, if you aren't a member of HRCV, please consider joining. It is $35/year for a single person and gets you all kinds of discounts, invites to our banquet dinners, and a quartly newsletter: the Lantern.  

Also, don't forget that we have hay trains coming up this weekend. Friday and Saturday night the last Full Moon Hayrides of the year depart Greenbank at 8pm for Mt. Cuba. Fares are $10 for adults, $9 for seniors, and $8 for kids. These will MOST LIKELY be pulled by the 8408!!!

Mark

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #15 on: Nov 13th, 2008, 5:49pm »

Correction on my last post, 915 is on a 3 month lease not 4.  

BC_and_A_railway, sorry but I don't have a pic of the fireless. I will get some this weekend.  

Mark

joneau261
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Nov 13th, 2008, 6:24pm »

Would this be the fireless cooker we're talking about?
Delaware Power & Light Co 0-4-0F #1

Ah, I see it's a Wilmington native. Definitely would be nice for display

- Jonathan

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Nov 14th, 2008, 7:23am »

That is it ,and my picture to before they took it off track one. It has been taken partially apart since then, when Delmarva Power removed the asbestos.

on Nov 13th, 2008, 6:24pm, joneau261 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Would this be the fireless cooker we're talking about?
Delaware Power & Light Co 0-4-0F #1

Ah, I see it's a Wilmington native. Definitely would be nice for display

- Jonathan

www.wwrr.com
Christian_S.
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Nov 14th, 2008, 8:55am »

PENNSY - thanks for the photo and the info.

joneau261
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Nov 14th, 2008, 11:52am »

I'm trying to not get confused with the discussion, so let's see...

Along with 58, 98, 92, 114, 8408, (915), "Paul Revere", combine, three coaches, open air car, parlor car, open air flat, and three cabooses...

Let's see... ex-Chessie (ex-C&O?) boxcar behind 92.
Ex-Conrail (ex-NYC?) boxcar in red paint near shop
Ex-B&O wagon top boxcar
Ex-Conrail Camp car (converted boxcar), grey paint near shop
Flat car, cut down from boxcar (above photo)
W&W Ballast Car in Boxcar Red
Tank car parked behind 92's tender

Dang, I never did realize what the railroad had. I think I need to start thinking about that photo freight again...

- Jonathan

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »