Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 19th, 2018, 11:21am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

STEAM this Fall
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Wilmington & Western
(Moderators: J. M. Fusco, NHIWW)
   STEAM this Fall
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: STEAM this Fall  (Read 840 times)
Christian_S.
Former Member
STEAM this Fall
  oct29_018-2.jpg - 248139 Bytes
« on: Sep 23rd, 2008, 6:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Anyone know which of the two steamers we can expect to see on the head-end of the foliage trips this fall? Am trying to time my visit to ride behind #98 if possible -- though I'd be perfectly happy just to ride behind STEAM either way.

Here's one from October 2006... a classic portrait of a classic locomotive.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/oct29_018-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan
Re: STEAM this Fall

« Reply #1 on: Sep 24th, 2008, 10:28am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Last I heard, it was going to be a lotta 58. I don't know for sure, though. 58 was in the shop with the smoke box cover off last weekend. I believe she is getting some new tubes. Flu season you know.  
Mark

alco9809
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Sep 24th, 2008, 7:05pm »

I wish I could see 58 run the Autumn Leaf Foliage trips without a helper and that  deep Lehigh Valley whistle on it.

Steve

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24th, 2008, 9:24pm »

That whistle on 58... hmm... that might sounds pretty cool.

As much I love the 98... 58 is much more suited for the job. And I also agree... there's no need for that lawnmower to be on the back; from what I've been told, 58 could pull just about everything W&W owns up Hockession Hill. I believe it too... those little Army switchers are powerful!

- Adam

wwbackshop
Enthusiast

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26th, 2008, 9:27pm »

on Sep 23rd, 2008, 6:38pm, Christian_S. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Anyone know which of the two steamers we can expect to see on the head-end of the foliage trips this fall? Am trying to time my visit to ride behind #98 if possible -- though I'd be perfectly happy just to ride behind STEAM either way.

Here's one from October 2006... a classic portrait of a classic locomotive.

The start of the fall foliage season will be the 98. It is hopeful that  the 58 will make an appearance before the season is out.

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008, 6:10am by wwbackshop » Logged
wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29th, 2008, 10:54am »

Any chance at getting the Lehigh 3 on there? It would sound really beautiful going through the valley to Hockessin.  
Mark

alco9809
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Oct 8th, 2008, 11:58am »

I'm working on that right now.

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #7 on: Oct 8th, 2008, 5:05pm »

Woohoo!!!

I think the whistle would look fine on a slight tilt, as I know it won't fit under Old Wilmington Road in the 90 degree posistion on the 98. Hope to see it up there soon.  

Next weekend perhaps
Mark

Strasburg31
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 8:48am »

My wife and I will be riding the 2:30 this Saturday.

I assume 98 will be leading the consist....but will the new SW-900 be on the rear or will an SW-1?

Paul

Write to Old Tucson Movie Studios and ask them to donate the V&T Reno, #11 to a museum.
www.oldtucson.com
wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 10:27am »

Hi Paul,

It looks as though the new engine will be on the rear. We still have a limited operating crew for this engine however so I may be mistaken, but one of our managers is Engineer so there is a pretty good chance that it will indeed be the SW-900.  

See you Saturday,  
Mark

rwk
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 9:52pm »

I have a question, when you run to Hockessin, do you ever run with steam by itself and run around the train on the passing siding in Hockessin and at Greenbank? When you go to Mt. Cuba, you have to back the train, so do you always have the blue switcher diesel on the rear, or do you ever back with just the caboose leading? I never rode the W&W so I was just wondering this. When do you run steam without the diesel?

rwk
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 10:05pm »

BTW, I'm trying to model the W&W in Trainz 2004 by hand and I have all the track in between CSX junction, Greenbank, and Hockessin and some roads in at Greenbank and Hockessin like Rt. 41 and a few other roads. There is no scenery at all between Greenbank and Hockessin, just the track so far, bridges and grade crossings. There is a 4-4-0 at Subpar Productions similar to 98 and a plain red caboose (symmetrical caboose) at the Trainz 2004 download, and Lackawanna Boonton coach with ridable interior at Paulz Trainz that I repainted blue and relettered Wilmington & Western. There are station buildings that look similar to Greenbank and Hockessin stations on my Trainz route.

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #12 on: Oct 10th, 2008, 10:31am »

rwk,  
To anwser your question we used to run steam unassisted to Hockessin, but with them nearing 100 we try to keep the strain to a minimum by having a helper. When we did this, the steamer did used to run around and pull us back to Greenbank. Ususally when we run just the Mt. Cuba trips we just use steam, but when we have a Hockessin trip on the schedule, we just run with one of our SWs on the rear so we don't have to deal with hooking it up between trips. We also run the 58 unassisted for our trains that go to Ashland, such as Santa and Easter Bunny. So we usually only run steam solo on Mt. Cuba days.  

Our cabins are equipped with lights and a horn so when we run without a pusher, the Conductor and Brakeman ride the back and call crossings, etc.

Hope this anwsers your questions

Mark

Strasburg31
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Oct 11th, 2008, 9:21pm »

Well we rode today at 2:30 and LOVED it as usual!!!!!

Top notch ride from a top notch crew.

I was VERY impressed by 915's performance.  She is quiet and powerful.

We rode in the open car, so we were close to the SW-900.  I was amazed by how quiet she was in comparioson to 114.  I guess this is because she has much more power and only has to exert herself so little.

I hope 915 passes her "test" and winds up getting purchased.   She is a remarkable locomotive.

98 was the star early, and I could see she put out a lot of beautiful smoke climbing up out of Yorklyn to Hockessin.   Granted, 915 was helping a bit there, but 98 was proving her worth.

Oh....and having a diesel assist going up Hockessin Hill is nothing to be ashamed of, when the consist is quite long and heavy, like it was today.  5 steel coaches and 2 cabooses, (one of which was also steel).  That on top of the fact that it was a well patronized trip, would put a strain on the drawbar of many a fine locomotive.

Paul

Write to Old Tucson Movie Studios and ask them to donate the V&T Reno, #11 to a museum.
www.oldtucson.com
rwk
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Oct 13th, 2008, 2:11am »

Yeah, Reading and Northern used diesels with all its 425 steam excursions this year, probably because of the long train and the grades. Even Steamtown uses diesels sometimes with it's long steam excursions.

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #15 on: Oct 13th, 2008, 10:37am »

Glad you enjoyed the trip Paul.  

It was a beautiful day for it, and I got some really good pictures, I was that crazy guy with the camera and tripod following up the line. I would post the pics, but I am still in the age of 35mm so sorry all. Best shot of the day was from Old Wilmington Road as I got covered in sut and diesel smoke
Kent and queen annes might have some photos, he was Brakeman yesterday.  

Mark

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #16 on: Oct 13th, 2008, 2:02pm »

on Oct 13th, 2008, 10:37am, wwrrvolunteer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I was that crazy guy with the camera and tripod following up the line.

Now now... there can only be one of us.

How's the foliage down there this season? I know last year it was still at its peak as late as Veterans Day.

I'll be down there for that event BTW. It's always really well executed.
- Adam

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 11:01am »

Hey Adam,  

Now every now and then wwrrvolunteer has to go out and foam for a change...actually me and the future CMO are doing it next week too

The foliage is coming right along. Everything is just starting to change and become colorful. Looks much better than last year, they all just kind of turned brown real quick and fell off.  

Look forward to seeing you on Veteran's day. Its still in the planning stages, but I hear its supposed to be a fun day!

Mark

LandenbergRRs
Enthusiast

« Reply #18 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 3:35pm »

on Oct 14th, 2008, 11:01am, wwrrvolunteer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Adam,  

Now every now and then wwrrvolunteer has to go out and foam for a change...actually me and the future CMO are doing it next week too

Mark

Hey - how about giving the chauffer some billing in this banter.  Remember who provided the wheels for your "foaming"...  

KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 3:56pm »

Do not forget the camera  

on Oct 14th, 2008, 3:35pm, LandenbergRRs wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hey - how about giving the chauffer some billing in this banter.  Remember who provided the wheels for your "foaming"...  

www.wwrr.com
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »