Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 25th, 2018, 2:40am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pufferbelly Day - TWICE the Fun!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Wilmington & Western
(Moderators: J. M. Fusco, NHIWW)
   Pufferbelly Day - TWICE the Fun!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pufferbelly Day - TWICE the Fun!  (Read 2792 times)
Charlie_O
Historian
Re: Pufferbelly Day - TWICE the Fun!
  WWRR_Pufferbelly_Aug08_c.jpg - 265915 Bytes
« Reply #80 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 8:01am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The weather was perfect. Here's a shot of 98 and 58 as they prepare for the 3:30 run.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/WWRR_Pufferbelly_Aug08_c.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Charlie_O
Historian
  WWRR_Pufferbelly_Aug08_b.jpg - 197707 Bytes
« Reply #81 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 8:02am »

The required smokebox shot.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/WWRR_Pufferbelly_Aug08_b.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Charlie_O
Historian
  WWRR_tlc.jpg - 177353 Bytes
« Reply #82 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 8:04am »

Since I've photo'd both last year's Pufferbelly Day and the Steam Meets Steam event the prior summer, I decided to focus on the tireless volunteer crews this time.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/WWRR_tlc.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Charlie_O
Historian
  WWRR_woman_engineer.jpg - 128155 Bytes
« Reply #83 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 8:06am »

Rolling up her sleeves for the return from Mt Cuba... The dirty jobs aren't just for the guys.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/WWRR_woman_engineer.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008, 8:07am by Charlie_O » Logged

Charlie_O
Historian
  WWRR_58_fireman.jpg - 134266 Bytes
« Reply #84 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 8:09am »

I like the light in this shot...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/WWRR_58_fireman.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Charlie_O
Historian
  WWRR_Pufferbelly_Aug08_d.jpg - 258654 Bytes
« Reply #85 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 8:10am »

A brief stop at Mt. Cuba...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/WWRR_Pufferbelly_Aug08_d.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Charlie_O
Historian
  WWRR_PicnicGrove_Aug08.jpg - 142810 Bytes
« Reply #86 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 8:12am »

It was a great day...and a great way to spend my birthday.  Some quick refreshment before the return trip...my daughter enjoyed her new RR sippy.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/WWRR_PicnicGrove_Aug08.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2008, 8:16am by Charlie_O » Logged

Charlie_O
Historian
  WWRR_coach_interior.jpg - 140768 Bytes
« Reply #87 on: Sep 1st, 2008, 8:14am »

It was a great way to spend my 46th birthday.  
Thanks, WWRR!
-Charlie

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/WWRR_coach_interior.jpg
Click Image to Resize

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #88 on: Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:21pm »

Thanks to all who came to join us. It was a great day, and we had over 400 riders!  
Mark

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #89 on: Sep 3rd, 2008, 6:03pm »

I guess for a Labor Day weekend that was good? Is that including Caboose parties?

I think there are a couple on here who can back me up, but they generally got that on a regular sunday with nothing special going on.

Special Days would see the larger numbers.  

Wild West 800+ each day (if not more)
Civil War 1000+ over weekend
Childrens day 500+ each Day (First Sundays of every month...why haven't they brought these back?)  
Halloween Trains 8-900+ (Daytime trips)

I would think with 2 steam engines running, they'd draw more...but I guess with Strasburg running the same dealio every weekend 45 minutes away, people are more "used to it" than in other steam starved areas.

Anyway, nice pics and good to see 58 running again

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #90 on: Sep 4th, 2008, 5:51pm »

Thats pretty good for us compared to what we have been getting. Some days are seeming like ghost towns. I don't know why some of the events haven't come back. I would say to make these suggestions to the schedule comittee. I would really like to see the civil war days back. I think the main reason we haven't done them is because they used to be held on the Greg's Bus Co. property in Yourklyn, and it is now under different ownership. All in all it was a wonderful day, though.  

Mark

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #91 on: Sep 4th, 2008, 9:12pm »

There is no reason they can't get those numbers back.

The caboose parites used to pay for the days operational expenses...I don't know if that is still the case....but

My suggestions:

Run Steam every Sunday (always proved its' worth, unless it was ungodly hot or pouring rain)

Bring back events that proved their worth, like Childrens Day (Discounted fare of either half price or $3 for a kids fare) which were on the first Sundays of every month.

ADVERTISE out the wazoo. It has proven its' worth too in the past, but they always cut it down or out.

I realize they're still recovering from the floods, and are getting people but they need to rebuild their reputation of being a good day trip for families. There were slow days back then, but with the weekends like we've had lately, cooler, dry weather ...they should be pulling in the numbers.

With the economy as it is, people are wanting a close, affordable fun day. "Staycations"  

They offer that, but if people don't know, they won't come.

Civil war could be had...just do demonstrations at the grove or Greenbank. I think the death of this event was due in part to BOTH floods happening the same weekend as this event was scheduled.

Halloween trains had consecutive years of BIG numbers (900+). There would not be ONE seat left on any of those 3 trips to the grove, including conductors seats.  While an average Sunday would see anywhere from 25-100 people stay at the grove between the 3 trips (no long layover then) they would discourage people from staying on halloween days due to the high numbers, or run a 4th trip to accomodate.

I wonder how they will do this year.

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #92 on: Sep 4th, 2008, 9:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Great photo Charlie! Great to see you and the family had fun; that's what it's all about.

I think the big draw away from most railroads in the area this past weekend, was the Railfest up at Steamtown. Both days were well attended, by railfans and visitors.  

I do think that W&W does need to advertise more; especially in the local areas around the RR, such as Wilmington and Dover and so on. Putting up a flyer in the local Wawa could bring in 25 people. That's 25 more tickets sold. It works for our model RR club, should work for a big RR too.

Anyway... great to see steam in DE. It's really my only reason to even visit the state.
- Adam

joneau261
Historian

« Reply #93 on: Sep 5th, 2008, 10:59am »

I found this video from the Labor Day Pufferbelly Day (wish I could have made it), and I was pleasantly surprised to hear a different whistle on 98.

Pufferbelly Day 1

But somehow, the whistle sounded familiar. I did a check, and sure enough, it sounds very similar to this ICRR Steamboat whistle that was once on 734

Downtown Cumberland Engine

Hmmm, it would be neat if it was the same whistle. I thought I'd just point this out for the sake of it.

It certainly looks like it was a good day for W&W. And great photos Charlie

- Jonathan

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #94 on: Sep 5th, 2008, 12:53pm »

Steamtown's Railfest may have taken a few railfans away from the W&W but the W&W has never, ever, ever been one to draw many of them...particularly in paid ridership.  And aside from that, there are few families I could see driving all the way up to Scranton for a day trip when they have the W&W in their back yards.

The W&W is much like the WK&S, a family railroad. They always have drawn big numbers in local families....and as we've all said, the lack of those butts in the seats, has to do with lack of advertisement.

In the 1990's, they had one man down there that was in charge of Public Relations and he spent more than they budgeted for that year, but they also got their highest ridership numbers that same year, something like 37,000 people. They chastised him and cut the budget big time the following year.  Why?

It's sad, really. So much potential is there. Many places do the same thing. They just expect that when they open their doors, the people will automatically come.

And I'm sorry to say it,  but I'm sure they're becoming known as a SLOW train ride. On a hotter day, a trip doing 10mph is a major turn off. ...and really any other day.  

They have better track now than they ever did, they should make it a nice run. A trip to Mt Cuba, 4.5 miles from Greenbank @ 15mph should only take less than 20 minutes one way, more like 17 minutes.

And that steamboat whistle is not from the WMSR, it's often used on the christmas trains. It carries so well through the valley in the winter.

wwbackshop
Enthusiast

« Reply #95 on: Sep 5th, 2008, 5:18pm »

on Sep 5th, 2008, 10:59am, joneau261 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I found this video from the Labor Day Pufferbelly Day (wish I could have made it), and I was pleasantly surprised to hear a different whistle on 98.

Pufferbelly Day 1

But somehow, the whistle sounded familiar. I did a check, and sure enough, it sounds very similar to this ICRR Steamboat whistle that was once on 734

Hmmm, it would be neat if it was the same whistle. I thought I'd just point this out for the sake of it.

- Jonathan

wwbackshop
Enthusiast

« Reply #96 on: Sep 5th, 2008, 5:30pm »

on Sep 5th, 2008, 10:59am, joneau261 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Pufferbelly Day 1

- Jonathan

For those of you who are sitting on the edge of your seat wondering just what whistle it is. It's not a steamboat whistle , It is however a former Lehigh Valley Passenger whistle. I know of only 2 in existance. The other was under the ownership of the late George Hart.  

Stay Tuned.

alco9809
Railfan
  100_0555_795x530.jpg - 74040 Bytes
« Reply #97 on: Sep 23rd, 2008, 3:56pm »

A bit late but here is a pic from Pufferbelly Day.
Also, be sure to check out my youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/wwrr98

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/100_0555_795x530.jpg
Click Image to Resize

wwrrvolunteer
Railfan

« Reply #98 on: Sep 23rd, 2008, 4:49pm »

Good movies Steve,  
It sure was a good ride back to Marshallton. Even if I was on 410's platform. Coming out for speeder day?
Mark

MCC385
Historian

« Reply #99 on: Sep 23rd, 2008, 6:03pm »

That was the whistle on the 98 the 1st time I rode the W&W back in 1985. Glad to hear it again as i think it fits her better then the one usually on her in the past few years.

Jeffrey Slupski
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »