Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 19th, 2018, 6:23pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pufferbelly Day - TWICE the Fun!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Wilmington & Western
(Moderators: J. M. Fusco, NHIWW)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pufferbelly Day - TWICE the Fun!  (Read 2790 times)
Christian_S.
Former Member

« on: May 3rd, 2007, 9:49am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Greetings, all:

Pufferbelly Day (May 6th) is fast approaching, and both #98 and #58 are expected to be under steam for the occasion. There are three steam-powered trips scheduled for Sunday, at 12:30, 2:00, and 3:30. The last run of the day will be a doubleheader with both locomotives. I just emailed the railroad with a few general questions about the event, and received some rather surprising news. Since the email was only one sentence long, I will repost it here for everyone to see. This is "straight outta the horse's mouth":

"We have had a change in plans for Sunday's Pufferbelly Day - we will now be double heading all 3 trains that day – using No. 98 and No. 58."

Just makes a good event even better! Make your plans to attend - this is something NO steam fan will want to miss!

-Chris

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Pufferbelly Day - TWICE the Fun!

« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2007, 10:48am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Makes sense actually since they are now operating to the Grove.  

No need to run to the interchange and pass trains at Greenbank.  

Adam17
Former Member

« Reply #2 on: May 3rd, 2007, 11:28am »

That's great! But I really wanted to get one engine on the train than the other, then get pics of both. But this is gonna be fun either way!

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: May 3rd, 2007, 12:08pm »

The way they have it set up is fine, and it wouldn't make any sense to do it any other way since the distance from Greenbank to the interchange is much shorter than from Greenbank to Mt. Cuba.  Double headers are also great, not too many places where you can see two steam locomotives pulling the same train together.  W&W obviously realizes that and took it into thought.  Running trains isn't all about taking pictures.  The railroad and crew could probobly care less about how everyone's pictures turn out, and frankly, I don't blame them.

-Colin

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2007, 12:11pm by wm734_fan » Logged
Christian_S.
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: May 3rd, 2007, 12:36pm »

on May 3rd, 2007, 12:08pm, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Running trains isn't all about taking pictures.  The railroad and crew could probobly care less about how everyone's pictures turn out, and frankly, I don't blame them.

Ahh, here we go already. Been less than a month since you've joined the BR&W steam crew and already you're starting to sound like a cantakerous, fussy old PRR railroader, Colin.

I actually don't think the crews mind the railfan attention at all. So long as you stay out of their way, be respectful of private property at all times, and ride the trains to support their operations, (most) railroaders usually appreciate and encourage the attention. There's nothing wrong with being trackside to document the event. After all, 60 years from now when we're all in rocking chairs and the railroad has been taken over by a sea of public housing developments stretching from New York to Washington D.C. and steam has been banned because it isn't "green" enough, we'll need some way of looking back on events like this and remembering how things once were...

See you trackside,
Chris

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2007, 1:13pm by strasburg475 » Logged
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #5 on: May 3rd, 2007, 3:18pm »

Sounds really fun, all 3 trains doudleheaded! It's even better they go down to the grove now.

Anthony

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #6 on: May 3rd, 2007, 3:34pm »

on May 3rd, 2007, 12:36pm, Christian_S. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ahh, here we go already. Been less than a month since you've joined the BR&W steam crew and already you're starting to sound like a cantakerous, fussy old PRR railroader, Colin.

I actually don't think the crews mind the railfan attention at all. So long as you stay out of their way, be respectful of private property at all times, and ride the trains to support their operations, (most) railroaders usually appreciate and encourage the attention. There's nothing wrong with being trackside to document the event. After all, 60 years from now when we're all in rocking chairs and the railroad has been taken over by a sea of public housing developments stretching from New York to Washington D.C. and steam has been banned because it isn't "green" enough, we'll need some way of looking back on events like this and remembering how things once were...

See you trackside,
Chris

Way to think positive chris! And for your information the BR&W also consists of some ex-CNJ Right Of Way. Back on topic, this is cool, I hope to be down there but it is not verry far in advance so I don't know.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
WM734
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: May 3rd, 2007, 3:54pm »

on May 3rd, 2007, 12:36pm, Christian_S. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

See you trackside,
Chris

Hahaha...

Nah, I'm just saying that people shouldn't be sad because of the double heading.  Crews don't mind people who stay out of the way and don't tell them about the experiences they've had. It just so happens (unfortunately) that many who take the pictures do that.  Not all the time and not all people, but it is likely.

Also, I've always felt that way about railroading...sometimes it's good to just sit back and enjoy things for yourself instead of having your eye in the viewfinder for the whole visit.  I know if I go I'll be taking plenty of pictures (who doesn't? )

Sorry if you took that the wrong way,

-Colin

Adam17
Former Member

« Reply #8 on: May 3rd, 2007, 4:05pm »

I never said I was "sad" about the double heading. I was just kinda hoping I could see both engines solo first, then watch them double head. But this'll be cool too. The only thing I'm really "sad" about is that I as well as all of us know that 98 will be leading the train, and I want to see 58 lead it as well. 58 is just as nice as 98, but the only thing that really sorta bugged me. Otherwise, it'll still be a great event!

See all y'all attendees on Sunday.
- Adam

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #9 on: May 3rd, 2007, 6:17pm »

Hey everyone,

I'll be there as well, hopefully I'll see a lot of you there!

Good to hear they're double heading all the trips, because really it makes the most sense to do that. (Unless they had a passing track at the midpoint of the run to Mt. Cuba)  

And yes I totally agree with you Colin, They don't schedule trains for photographers, they're not the ones who pay for the train. There are very few times when the railroads actually mix railfans into the equation, and those few times are "Railfan Weekends" and "Photo Trains".... Thus the name "RAILFAN" and "PHOTO" in both of the titles.  

Pufferbelly Day, althought it will grant a chance at some great photos, is entitled "Pufferbelly" Day, not "Photographer's" Day...

Now I don't mean to sound full of myself, because anyone who knows me  would know I'm totally into Photo and Video, but I also understand the railroading aspect of it too.  

But all in all, I'm sure it will be a good time.  

I'll be there,
Joe...

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2007, 6:20pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
90Fan
Historian

« Reply #10 on: May 3rd, 2007, 8:55pm »

Personally, I like the passing with both locos. But I guess doubleheading is better this year, as there would only be one one or two meets anyway. Now a doubleheader is not something we all get to see a lot. So it's a great opportunity for rare photos. I like their idea, and I wish everyone here who is going the best (I can't go ).

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
Andrew_Blaszczyk
TRAINing

« Reply #11 on: May 5th, 2007, 7:45pm »

on May 3rd, 2007, 12:08pm, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The way they have it set up is fine, and it wouldn't make any sense to do it any other way since the distance from Greenbank to the interchange is much shorter than from Greenbank to Mt. Cuba.  Double headers are also great, not too many places where you can see two steam locomotives pulling the same train together.  W&W obviously realizes that and took it into thought.  Running trains isn't all about taking pictures.  The railroad and crew could probobly care less about how everyone's pictures turn out, and frankly, I don't blame them.

-Colin

KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  Picture_001.jpg - 140107 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: May 6th, 2007, 6:44pm »

Some of my pictures from todays event. Marshallton yard this morning.  

114, 98, & 58 by the back shop.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/Picture_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  Picture_002.jpg - 128367 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: May 6th, 2007, 6:46pm »

98 & 58

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/Picture_002.jpg