Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 20th, 2018, 6:27am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: #98
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Wilmington & Western
(Moderators: J. M. Fusco, NHIWW)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: #98  (Read 1087 times)
WM734fan
Former Member

« on: Aug 10th, 2005, 4:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Hey everyone,

Since #58 takes over so much with the steam operations, I thought it would be cool to have a general discussion on the W&W's Alco 4-4-0 #98. Talk about anything you would like about #98 here.  

Here are my questions about #98:
When the bridges are done, will #98 run more often? Also, what railroad did she orriginally operate on? And I must say I like here paint scheem a lot better now then what it was in the 90's.

-Colin

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2006, 5:04pm by wm734_fan » Logged
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Engine Discussion: #98

« Reply #1 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 11:30am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

#98 was originally built for the Mississippi Central Railroad. There was a sister to 98, #99. Both were ALCO's built in 1909.

Eventually after toting former Reading Company wood passenger equipment around, 98 was purchase by Paulsen Spence and operated on several of his southern shortline railroads, including the Comite Southern (pronounced Co-meet) then the Louisiana Eastern. Amazingly, he used the 98 in freight service and was often seen hauling loaded stone cars over the 3 mile short line....although about 5 was the max. 98 did operate on some of their private passenger trains and they did even offer Public Excursions that were free, over the line.

After Spence's death, the 98 was purchased from his estate by Tom Marshall and his father Clarence. It was move to SRR for storage and was to operate there, but issues with boiler repairs done by the Lo. E. and C.S. and no paperwork for those repairs prevented that. 98 was put into service in 1972 shortly after 92 went out of service. (98 was one of only 5 steam locomotives to survive from Spence's collection of over 30 steamers...the R&N/BM&R #425 was also saved along with another 4-4-0 and 2-6-2 that are now on Stone Mt Scenic Railway)

98 is one of I believe 3 MCRR steamers to remain in existance....the other two are 2-8-2's  #99 didn't fare as well and was scrapped at some point although I am not certain as to when or where.

There is more info around, and I will try to post it when I find it. The above is just from memory.

I agree the paint scheme now is better....at least if they have finished the striping. The scheme of the 1992 out shopping was meant to be what was on the 98 when she was delivered from ALCO to the MCRR....and it was very close, but the MCRR changed the scheme shortly after arrival. Also, the dedication on the cab to Thomas C Marshall was meant as a kind gesture, but seeing as how Tom is still alive, I think he looked at that a little oddly....usually saved for deceased persons.

At some point, it was decided to whitewall the tires and running boards which was nice seeing as how the 1990's paint scheme was very dark.... then after the tire came off the pony truck at Ashland, repairs were done and  the tires were painted black....I personally repainted the running board and piolet white myself just before a Railfan trip in the spring of 1997 and it held that scheme till the rebuild.

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2005, 11:42am by NHIWW » Logged

WM734fan
Former Member

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 1:44pm »

Ok thanks!  Yeah the paint scheem now ROCKS! It's just like 58's, only with more stipes which makes it look cooler.  I love #98 and would love to see her run further when all or more of the bridges get done.

Thanks for the info

-Colin

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 7:02pm »

I wasn't too fond of #98's "Number on the tender" scheme... her current scheme looks very nice!  

WM734FAN
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:07pm »

Anyone know how much tractive effort #98 has?

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #5 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 5:14pm »

22,000 lbs.

WM734FAN
Former Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 5:54pm »

Ok! Thanks a lot NHIWW!

-Colin

adam17
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15th, 2005, 6:50pm »

Since we're talking about 98 here, why not shout out ideas. IMO, I think that since 98 is an AMERICAN type locomotive, then why not give it AMERICAN flags?! It fits the the engine that help create AMERICA'S railroad system.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 1:48pm »

Uhm...yeah....ok...are we takling flying the American flags on the head end or painted on?

They can, have and do fly them or white ones on the front of their locos.

O_H_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 11:41am »

I found this photo at www.steamlocomotive.info I think ALL of you will find interesting.

Tom Gears Photo.

NKP 2-8-4
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #10 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 1:45pm »

I'm wonderin' which engine they will send there this September?

I read in Railpace that once again, the Amtrak Wilmington Station will undergo renovations....W&W has been sending Steam over there since the last renovations were completed in the 1980's. It's the only time you'll see steam running on the Northeast Corridor.....albit only a mile or so, but it counts!.

98 ran on the Wizards train in early April...anyone down there to get photos?

I believe they are nearing completion of the Brandywine Springs Trestle....should be operating to the back 9 of the Hercules Country Club soon.  R.E. Pierson Co. of Woodbury NJ, has started the work on the Hercules and Wooddale E & W Bridges. The Drill rig being used for the new bridge pier supports was purchased in Germany and sent over in March for use on the W&W projects.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006, 1:47pm by NHIWW » Logged

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 5:38pm »

Woah, I'm gunna try and go to that! Which days do they plan on going?

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
WMSR_734
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 6:38pm »

on Apr 20th, 2006, 1:45pm, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm wonderin' which engine they will send there this September?

I read in Railpace that once again, the Amtrak Wilmington Station will undergo renovations....W&W has been sending Steam over there since the last renovations were completed in the 1980's. It's the only time you'll see steam running on the Northeast Corridor.....albit only a mile or so, but it counts!.

98 ran on the Wizards train in early April...anyone down there to get photos?

I believe they are nearing completion of the Brandywine Springs Trestle....should be operating to the back 9 of the Hercules Country Club soon.  R.E. Pierson Co. of Woodbury NJ, has started the work on the Hercules and Wooddale E & W Bridges. The Drill rig being used for the new bridge pier supports was purchased in Germany and sent over in March for use on the W&W projects.

Awesome! How many miles are they currently going beyond the station as of now?

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 3:05am »

on Apr 20th, 2006, 6:38pm, WMSR_734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Awesome! How many miles are they currently going beyond the station as of now?

On April 25th, a test train was operated past Brandywine Springs park over bridge 6G after the school trains were done for the day.  So it looks like the operations are now going to Hercules 2.8 miles from the interchange. For more info on the progressive rebuild and how each bridge relates to added mileage, please see my "Mileage....Since everyone is asking" post on this thread.

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2006, 3:08am by NHIWW » Logged

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member
Re: Engine Discussion: #98 Dedication?

« Reply #14 on: Sep 17th, 2008, 9:16pm »

I remember hearing that this year for the Veteran's Day celebration, that #98 will be celebrating its 100th birthday along with the Veterans Day train excursions/ceremonies. Any W&W volunteer wanna confirm this? I'd love to cover the event much like I did last year, only with 98 getting dedicated.

Thanks!
- Adam

alco9809
Railfan
  98.jpg - 21235 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 9:56pm »

Check out what I found.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/98.jpg
Click Image to Resize

PENNSY_BOcabeese
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:42pm »

Thats real nice, did you find that on the web or do you have a hard copy, and if so what size?

Strasburg31
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Mar 3rd, 2009, 1:22pm »

That is GREAT    It would look good on the state quarter.

BTW....I saw online today that the W&W did indded get the most votes for the state quarter....And it....along with the two runners up...(One was the old state house) will be sent to the MINT....and that the MINT will decide the final winner!!!

We may have to GET on the mint!!!!!!!!!

Write to Old Tucson Movie Studios and ask them to donate the V&T Reno, #11 to a museum.
www.oldtucson.com
alco9809
Railfan

« Reply #18 on: Mar 3rd, 2009, 1:39pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:42pm, PENNSY_BOcabeese wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thats real nice, did you find that on the web or do you have a hard copy, and if so what size?

I found it online. Can anyone guess where it was taken/painted from.

Strasburg31
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Mar 3rd, 2009, 3:28pm »

The Octoraro, in Chester County

Write to Old Tucson Movie Studios and ask them to donate the V&T Reno, #11 to a museum.
www.oldtucson.com
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »