Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 19th, 2018, 11:14am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Wilmington & Western General Discussion
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Wilmington & Western
(Moderators: J. M. Fusco, NHIWW)
   Wilmington & Western General Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Wilmington & Western General Discussion  (Read 1303 times)
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
Re: Wilmington & Western General Discussion
  100_0561.jpg - 95476 Bytes
« Reply #40 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 7:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

No other equipment is stored west of Marshalton until you get to Yorklyn Passing siding. At that location are MOW equipment in use to get the line back in service. two MP54s one shown below the other on the pictures page.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/100_0561.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  100_0562.jpg - 139265 Bytes
« Reply #41 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 7:54pm »

A camp Car.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/100_0562.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  100_0563.jpg - 146574 Bytes
« Reply #42 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 7:57pm »

an old crane with NVF in the back ground, just west of the crane are MOW equipment from RCC the contractor working on the line with us.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/100_0563.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #43 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 9:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Kent,  

Thank you for posting all these pictures of the sidings. The shots are coming out really nice

Anthony

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 11:33pm »

Since when did the W&W have so much stuff? Some neat stuff at that. Personally (and this is just my opinion), they should touch up a few of them and display them. Maybe a little plaque on the history next to it. Some of that stuff (especially that camp car) aren't all that common, and it's a shame to see it waste away. Now maybe I'm just daydreaming yet again, but either way, I'm sure some people would get a kick out of some of that stuff, like the uniqueness of the camp car and the nostalgia of an MU ("I used to ride one of those every day to work").

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #45 on: Jun 17th, 2007, 9:28am »

That is a great idea Brain, But Iím not sure that the W&W has the $$$$ to do that. I'm sure they would love to do that but they are also working on other things more important than restoring things, but it would be cool to see some of that stuff up and running

Anthony

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #46 on: Jun 17th, 2007, 6:07pm »

on Jun 16th, 2007, 11:33pm, 90Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Since when did the W&W have so much stuff? Some neat stuff at that. Personally (and this is just my opinion), they should touch up a few of them and display them. Maybe a little plaque on the history next to it. Some of that stuff (especially that camp car) aren't all that common, and it's a shame to see it waste away. Now maybe I'm just daydreaming yet again, but either way, I'm sure some people would get a kick out of some of that stuff, like the uniqueness of the camp car and the nostalgia of an MU ("I used to ride one of those every day to work").

That is nothing compared to what they used to have.

Check around the W&W boards, I have posted lists of equipment they had on hand back in the 1980's....number of steam loco's alone outnumbered passenger cars.....but they wised up and got rid of non essential stuff. Most of what is there now was donated more recently as part of "package deals" so to speak.

Most of the stuff that is in storage is not needed nor do they have the place to display said equipment without running the major risk of vandals destroying it.

Remember, HRCV Inc. which owns the W&W, is not just about running and preserving trains. Historic Red Clay Valley was formed to preserve the highly historical Industrial Heritage of the Valley and fosters its' preservation efforts to the Public via the Railroad. That is their biggest operation, but by no means their only function.

Had it not been for HRCV and it's founding fathers which include the Marshall Family, not only would the railroad be gone, so would most of the historical areas around it...like the Greenbank Mill, The Brandywine Springs Park, the Wooddale Covered Bridge (nearly burnt to the ground in the 1960's), the Barley Mill area (was slated for major housing development in the 1990's) Mt Cuba Picnic Grove (dates back to the 1870's) †the Ashland Area, Auburn Heights, the Snuff Mills in Yorklyn....so much has been done through the involvement of the HRCV.

The Railroad is their main source of income and HRCV has preserved what is needed to portray an operating short line, that resembles what the original W&W was like, and could have been had it survived completely since its' inception in 1867.

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2007, 6:13pm by NHIWW » Logged

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #47 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 1:01pm »

Where did the pieses from the 1980s go? Scrap? Sales?

Anthony

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #48 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 6:26pm »

Various locations throughout the Country by Sale, but none scrapped that I am aware of.

« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2007, 6:28pm by NHIWW » Logged

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 5:07pm »

Hey  

How many passenger cars does the W&W have for operation. The website says six including the Parlor car but in all pics & video's I have only spoted five. Can someone clear this up.  

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 5:14pm »

4 Booton Coaches (410,603,571,581), 1 Open Coach MP54 (442), and parlor car(6795).

www.wwrr.com
joneau261
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 5:15pm »

on Dec 6th, 2007, 5:07pm, calslivesteam012 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey  

How many passenger cars does the W&W have for operation. The website says six including the Parlor car but in all pics & video's I have only spoted five. Can someone clear this up.  

Brett

Keep in mind that even if a railroad has a certain number of coaches, it doesn't mean they will use them every single run.  

Here's a video with all six passenger cars used: Hockessin Express

So yeah, W&W has six operable coaches (the combine, three coaches, open air car, and the PRSL parlor car). Hope that answers your question

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
Strasburg31
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 8:56am »

In some "unconfirmed" W&WRR news, it seems very likely that #58 will be participating in the Pufferbelly Day on August 31st of this year, as all of the tubes that needed urgent attention will have been replaced.

Also, the railroad apparently has bought a new diesel locomotive, that MAY be here as early as the end of the month.  It has been reconditioned, and is in great shape.

I am a member, but not a volunteer, so I don't think it is my place to announce what type of locomotive it is.  I will leave that to someone who has earned the right to actually make the announcement.  Buit I am excited.

Paul

Write to Old Tucson Movie Studios and ask them to donate the V&T Reno, #11 to a museum.
www.oldtucson.com
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »