Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 19th, 2018, 11:15am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Wilmington & Western Photos
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Wilmington & Western
(Moderators: J. M. Fusco, NHIWW)
   Wilmington & Western Photos
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...  42 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Wilmington & Western Photos  (Read 19582 times)
WM734
Former Member
Re: Wilmington & Western Photos

« Reply #200 on: Nov 2nd, 2006, 6:10pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Chris (and Charlie) -

Excellent pictures! It's amazing to see what the park looked like back in the day. Thanks for posting that, Charlie!

KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  MVC-044F_819x614.jpg - 135345 Bytes
« Reply #201 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Some pictures from todays Wizard train.  58 at the current end of the line just prior to Route 48.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/MVC-044F_819x614.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  MVC-045F_819x614.jpg - 131041 Bytes
« Reply #202 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:29pm »

Another view of 58 at the Golf cart crossing

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/MVC-045F_819x614.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  MVC-046F_819x614.jpg - 108556 Bytes
« Reply #203 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:33pm »

The first train comming back into Greenbank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/MVC-046F_819x614.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  MVC-047F_819x614.jpg - 99818 Bytes
« Reply #204 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:36pm »

58 stands by for the next run.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/MVC-047F_819x614.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:39pm by KENTANDQUEENANNERR » Logged

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  MVC-011F_819x614.jpg - 100745 Bytes
« Reply #205 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:44pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/MVC-011F_819x614.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:45pm by KENTANDQUEENANNERR » Logged

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  MVC-013F_819x614.jpg - 112797 Bytes
« Reply #206 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:48pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/MVC-013F_819x614.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  MVC-040Fa_819x614.jpg - 125856 Bytes
« Reply #207 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:59pm »

We had time to check out the rebuild before our train. 8a woodale and the cut all have track laid up to 8b. 8b is just in need of track picture below

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/MVC-040Fa_819x614.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  MVC-041F_819x614.jpg - 131107 Bytes
« Reply #208 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 9:05pm »

Below is a shot of the grade crossing just past bridge 8b (woodale) the new crossing is well under way. The next bridge 10a has it's steel almost done. Equipment has also started to be moved into the area of the "S" trestle.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/WWRR/MVC-041F_819x614.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #209 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 9:41pm »

K&QARR....Nice Pictures! Good to see 58 out and about.

I see that they brought the welded rail from the Rt48 rebuild back past the Golf Cart Crossing....pretty nice.

Question for yah: ...do you know what the plans are for the Covered Bridge there in Wooddale? The one that was there prior to Henri was rebuilt with prodding of the HRCV back in the 60's after a fire basically destroyed the original....will similar events take place or has the bridge been lost forever?

The 1960's steel frame is still there carrying Fox Hill Lane....but it just won't be the same coming out of the cut and not seeing the covered bridge there....While the one in Ashland is still there, you can barely see that covered bridge from the train.

I know one thing...it's gonna be odd rolling up the line without any "permanent" speed restrictions....Wooddale cut was always a 5mph ...which was hard on 98 when hauling a heavy train up the grade (just about 1%) through that S curve.

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2006, 9:47pm by NHIWW » Logged

KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian

« Reply #210 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 10:19pm »

I do not know about the covered bridge but I hope they replace it the frame alone is not that nice to look at.
They dug everything out of the cut until they reached hard surface then replaced it all so it should be quite nice. I was going to get pictures of some of that but the wife and kids did not seem as interested as me about that as  it was lunch time.
I have never ridden on the full line so each advance is new for me and many other volunteers.

www.wwrr.com
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #211 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 1:41am »

I found an appropriate answer here: http://www.deldot.net/static/projects/wooddale_bridge/index.shtml  . .looking like they will begin rebuilding the Covered Bridge in 2007....raising it 5 feet to avoid the damamge it received.

There is something about it when you come through the cut, glide across the bridge and see the Covered Bridge to your right...its very very cool....although, I dont think yet anyone has ever looked left to see the old mill buildings that are restored and lived in...lol...they are just as nice.

Anyway,  looks like there is hope for Wooddale Covered Bridge!

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2006, 1:45am by NHIWW » Logged

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #212 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 1:26am »

on Nov 5th, 2006, 8:25pm, KENTANDQUEENANNERR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Some pictures from todays Wizard train.  58 at the current end of the line just prior to Route 48.

I've said this time and time again, but it really is great to see the railroad making such a steady recovery. The new sections of the line look very scenic, I've just got to get back down there to see it for myself! Any idea on when the whole kit'n'kaboodle will be done? I'm in no rush, but I'm just wondering how long the people at the W&W speculate for their noble project to take.  

I'd just like to say thank you to the people at W&W,  
How many other buisnesses or groups would keep rebuilding after several devastations? Why not leave if this is to continue to happen? The W&W refuses to leave- refuses to die, and I'd just like to say thank you, Wilmington & Western.  

KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian

« Reply #213 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 9:23am »

The goal is to have the rebuild done by next summer, however that depends on the weather and other contstruction delays. Progress seems to be goo right now.

www.wwrr.com
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #214 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 6:49pm »

Nice I really like how 58 looks with the combine
~AnthonyD~

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #215 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 11:22pm »

You are very correct in saying that the reopened sections look very scenic.  The entire railroad, with the exception of the segments between the Interchange and the Yard, and from the top of Hockessin Hill to the End of Track, is VERY scenic...particularly when you consider how close you really are to the City of Wilmington.

For comparison: everone raves about the south end of the NH&I (rightfully so) and the scenery on the SRR...The W&W encompases both of them in terms of scenery.

The route being along a creek has blessed it in the sense that development is not possible in many areas due to flooding issues as well as ground stability.  We all know of the curse however.

The stout hearted determination of the HRCV/W&W that has been seen with the rebuilding of the Railroad twice now,  has also played an instrumental part over the years in keeping development down in cooperation with the other Non-Profits (which can trace their roots to HRCV) intrested in preserving the Valley such as the Greenbank Mill Association, Red Clay Valley Association and the Ashland Nature Society in addition to the Marshall family who have quietly done their part in a way that has had a huge effect.

Little has changed along the line in the last 40 years and in particular the last 15, which most tourist railroads can't say the same..save for the WK&S.  

Development is encroaching every day along many once scenic, open railroads. Only recently have we seen a push to preserve the open space along many routes....HRCV has been doing that for 40 years.  

That was the intial goal of the HRCV and the railroad was just their way of making the Valley and the many significant contributions to the industrial world that its' people made, that we now use every day, well known to the "outside world."

HRCV's last 40 years hasn't all been about trains. The preservation of that slim valley in the middle of "Suburbia" has always been the prority.

It really amazes me though that there are volunteers down there now who have yet to see the valley from the train....just boggles my mind....but it's a good thing...they will be delightfully suprised!

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2006, 11:27pm by NHIWW » Logged

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #216 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 11:31pm »

That's very interesting, NHIWW...never really thought of how to improve a tourist line in those respects...

Quick quesion: Now that the excursions are somewhat longer, does part of the ride now include a ride to the W&W shop? Or do they just operate one way for the public out of Greenbank station?

Thanks,
Colin

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #217 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 11:36pm »

KENTANDQUEENANNE can prolly answer for sure, but I believe they are just heading west of Greenbank now for public excursions.

There really isn't much to see east of Greenbank. You can easliy find the yard by car.

KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian

« Reply #218 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 1:27am »

Only dinner trains and charters go back through the shop area to the junction. All others just go west from Greenbank.
There were several days this year were shop tours were given as part of the ride. I do not know if that will also be the case next year

www.wwrr.com
WM734
Former Member

« Reply #219 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:14pm »

on Nov 9th, 2006, 1:27am, KENTANDQUEENANNERR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Only dinner trains and charters go back through the shop area to the junction. All others just go west from Greenbank.
There were several days this year were shop tours were given as part of the ride. I do not know if that will also be the case next year

Thanks for the info, Kent.  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...  42 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »