Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 19th, 2018, 6:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Wilmington and Western Railroad 98 Restoration
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Wilmington & Western
(Moderators: J. M. Fusco, NHIWW)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Wilmington and Western Railroad 98 Restoration  (Read 1717 times)
WWRRDave
Former Member

« on: May 9th, 2004, 9:55pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

The restoration of Wilmington and Western Railroad #98 (ALCO 4-4-0) is coming along quite nicely! Her boiler (which was contracted out, and redone by Bob Yuill of Historic Machinery Services) has been repaired and tested hydrostatically with positive results in accordance with FRA Form 4 Requirements. Her running gear (aside from power reverse) is on, her boiler, smokebox, cab, and initial steam piping is mounted, and now work commences on her tender. This past Thursday, myself and the shop crew worked on stripping her tender down to the bare metal, where repairs to rust damage will be made, and she will be repainted. No word yet on the paint scheme though. Hopefully, I will get out to the shops again soon, and have time to snap a couple of pictures for your enjoyment.

Dave Haring
-W&W Trainman / Shop Crew
-R&T Shay Railroad Fireman / Conductor

strasburg475
Former Member
Re: Wilmington and Western Railroad 98 Restoration

« Reply #1 on: May 10th, 2004, 8:57am »

What about the 2-6-0? When will the W&W repair the 2-6-0??

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: May 11th, 2004, 7:32am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

(when will w&w restore the 2-6-0?) They have on several occasions put 92 in the shop for evaluation and minor maintenece. It was and is beyond their monetary capability to restore the engine right now. They have suffered not one but two devestating blows from Mother Nautre (in the form of flooding that has not been ever seen before in the Red Clay Valley) that have totaled the railroads infrastructure. They are concentrating on rebuilding first what they can (ie:9. 92 has not operated since 1972 when it went down for firebox and other related repairs. 98 last operated in the winter of 1998.

They have a established a fund for donations for 92 and they do have some money but not hardly enough.. ..so start sending your donation in if you want to see it run any time soon.  

It is within their "long range goals" to have their first engine up and running again. But at least now, when 98 comes out of the shop, they will have 2 steam engines running. That is something that has not been seen since #3 left in the mid 80's

I think if anyone knows what priorities are, the railroad structure itself should and will come first. (6 bridges and about 4 miles of track are either gone or byond impassable)

strasburg475
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: May 11th, 2004, 8:40am »

I don't mean this in a nasty way, since other tourist railroads have done this too, but wouldn't the 92 rebuild have been easier if they started the restoration work as soon as they detected the problem  I'm sure the engine is in worse shape now then it was in 1973 and will cost more money to repair now.

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2004, 8:41am by strasburg475 » Logged
WWRRDave
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: May 12th, 2004, 9:58am »

What has been said so far concerning CN #92 is just about correct. It is true that since the September 15th flooding, just about all money we have raised thus far has been going towards the rebuild of the railroad itself. Once #98 is running, we will have two operable steam locomotives, and *might* have some free shop time to take on another restoration -- THAT IS -- when the rebuilds from the flooding have been completed. Don't look forward to seeing 92 running anytime soon, however, with more donations, it's expectancy towards operating increases!

I was down in the yards looking over #92 and currently the following conditions exist:
-It's firebox is missing (was taken out), and all stays are out as well.
-All of it's running gear is taken off and has been put into storage (for safekeeping?)
-It's cab is lying on the ground near the shop building.

I believe an ultrasonic test will have to be conducted again to evaluate the condition of the boiler and outer firebox material thickness, but as it stands now, all new stays, tubes, and inner-firebox sheets need to be fabricated and installed in order to make it work -- in the VERY LEAST!
Luckily until then, #98 and #58 should both be rolling again this summer, much to the pleasure of all of the W&W's employees and patrons!

Dave Haring
-W&W Trainman / Shop Crew  
-R&T Shay Railroad Fireman / Conductor

WWRRDave
Former Member

« Reply #5 on: May 16th, 2004, 10:33pm »

Well, I have started a web group concerning the restoration of the Wilmington and Western's Steam Locomotives and other things we may have in the shop time from time. I hope to add more pictures as I get them....once my camera is fixed!!!

The URL is as follows:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/wwrrsteam/

Look for updates here weekly!

Dave H.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #6 on: May 18th, 2004, 12:31pm »

on May 11th, 2004, 8:40am, strasburg475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I don't mean this in a nasty way, since other tourist railroads have done this too, but wouldn't the 92 rebuild have been easier if they started the restoration work as soon as they detected the problem  I'm sure the engine is in worse shape now then it was in 1973 and will cost more money to repair now.

I think as you said that can be said for many tourist railroads. Look at NH&I for example, their 1533 was taken out for needed repairs and never returned to service and will likely take more money than they have to restore it.  

Many folks at W&W from years back said that it wouldn't have taken much to return 92 to operating condition, really not much more than they are now doing to 98, but at that time (1970's) they were running things completely with volunteers and lacked the correct management to focus on future operations....they went on a day to day operation . In the 1980's they hired a paid director who brought about a group of people that had good intentions (some say to benefit themselves) but lacked the coordination to follow through. They started to collect steam engines galore and wound up with the country's largest private collection of steam ( included in that collection was the BM&R's 425 among others) That just led to more junk sitting around taking up space.  

Then in the late 80's they decided to sell everything and the money from the sale, instead of being put towards restoration, went to paying off large debts that had accured. They even sold an operating steam engine but continued to lease the 37 (a 2-8-2T which is now leaving the property) for their operations. Not a smart decision in my opnion.

Shortly after I started in 1989, they hired a new director (who still serves this position today) who brought about direction and through the collaborative effort of many volunteers and the borad of directors and such, were able to bring things into focus. The railroad was in a good stride in 1990's and into 1999 breaking records in revenue and ridership and hosting more charters than any other tourist operation in the country. Sometimes their operations were 7 days a week with regular weekend runs, weekday charters and dinner trains all operated with volunteers which is true attest to their loyal staff paid and unpaid. With many of their long range goals becoming frutition such as complete rebuild of track and restoration of coaches (which I helped out among many other things) and other equipment and such, they were on a roll but then the unfortunate happend not once but twice with flooding in a short 4 year period that had never been seen before in the 130 year history of the railroad.  It will take time to get back into that groove but they will and with 98 coming out of the shop soon the only engine steam wise left to restore will be the 92.  

If everyone out there really wants to see 92 up and running, write some checks. Everyone talks about how operations "should do this or should do that", but it all takes money. Next time you go chase an operation, BUY A TICKET....even if you dont ride....it benefits you as well. Those "hokey themed trains" are what pay the bills, not the railfan days. Everyone needs to do their part.

strasburg475
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: May 18th, 2004, 12:49pm »

I understand. I rode the W&W in 2003 and was disappointed to see diesels on a "Steam" operation day. I'll be riding in 2005 when more of the line is open.

By the way, for all to know, I ride Strasburg once every other year and visit once per month. I visit WK&S once a year and ride every so often. Any other tourist railroads we visit is strictly to ride them!

WWRRDave
Former Member

« Reply #8 on: May 21st, 2004, 8:58am »

on May 18th, 2004, 12:31pm, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If everyone out there really wants to see 92 up and running, write some checks. Everyone talks about how operations "should do this or should do that", but it all takes money. Next time you go chase an operation, BUY A TICKET....even if you dont ride....it benefits you as well. Those "hokey themed trains" are what pay the bills, not the railfan days. Everyone needs to do their part.

THIS IS EXACTLY RIGHT! The restoration crew, occasionally, experiences times when money just doesn't come in for our operations on the railroad. We (the shop crew and volunteers) even have to buy products ourselves to help in maintaining the equipment, such as paint, paint stripper, tools and equipment. If "Railfans" would buy a ticket even when they just want to railfan, or if they would give a donation when they come out to snap a picture, it would go a long way towards helping get more interesting equipment into operation.

**Engine 98 Update** Last night, myself and the shop crew finished the paint stripping/rust removal work on the tender, and commenced with priming the whole tender tank/body. Internal work in the tender tank still continues, as well as patching the thin and holed areas. It's really coming along great now!

In reference to "Diesel on a Steam Day"- IT IS VERY UNLIKELY THAT A DIESEL WILL RUN IN PLACE OF A STEAM LOCOMOTIVE. The recent experience, which I believe Strasburg475 is referring to, was due to the fact that we did not have a *CERTIFIED* Steam Locomotive engineer to operate the engine that day. We have several engineers in training right now, but due to the wrecked line, are having difficulty in getting these engineers certified to federal regulations. In addition, when 98 becomes operable, we will have another engine upon which we can certify more engineers on. Again, donations and ridership are crucial to this, and to the restoration of other steam engines, so please lend us a hand  

Dave Haring
-W&W Shop Crew/Trainman
-R&T Shay Railroad Fireman/Conductor

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2004, 9:39am by WWRRDave » Logged
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

the_82s.jpg - 6888 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: May 21st, 2004, 7:45pm »

Its hard to contemplate the actual "frustrations" if you will, that take place when you are volunteering the time at a museum or railroad like W&W. It is only after you have "been there and done that" that you can truely appreciate it when the railroad says that due to certain circumstances beyon their control that some thing can't be done.  

I recall buying many items to use during the restoration of the coach interiors, nothing big but just things that were needed and we did it most of the time without any hesitation....thats just the way you get when you dedicate your time to something.

I would suggest, that Strasburg475, being of a yournger crowd, and a little older than I was when I started at W&W, take up the opprotunity to volunteer his time either at W&W or some other railroad so that he can appreciate the work that is involved in keeping a shortline in the black and in operational condition. You live to learn...learn now before you become one of those railfans that just dont understand.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/the_82s.jpg
Click Image to Resize

strasburg475
Former Member

« Reply #10 on: May 22nd, 2004, 12:53pm »

I would like to donate every time I visit a tourist railroad, and if I did, I'm sure 92 would have been repaired long ago You just have to remember that my family is on a limited budget. We don't visit W&W often since we live over an hour away, but every time we do, we ride!

I don't know if I didn't make myself clear, but when I mentioned my seeing diesel operation on a "Steam" day in 2003, I was only referring to my disappointment. I can undestand if mechanical problems,etc. affect the schedule. It's just makes you go "Aw, shucks!"

This summer, I'm working on a 2 1/2 x 5 foot N scale layout with my brother. Next year or so comes a part time job. I've seriously been considering volunteering at Strasburg as time allows (not only is it close by, but it's my favorite). If everyone's interested, I'll let you know how that one goes...
                                                          Chris

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2004, 12:54pm by strasburg475 » Logged
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Wooddale.jpg - 7848 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: May 22nd, 2004, 7:48pm »

I hope you didn't misunderstand me, I am not being critical. In fact your enthusiasm should be applauded this day in age. You have intrest that most grown adults don't even share.  

When every you get the chance to volunteer at any museum be it railroad or not, you give yourself the chance to advance yourself to a "higher level of understanding"  Chasing is fun, I did it and still do on occasion, but rollng up the sleves and getting into the works is the most rewarding of all.

I can share your greif with travel time as well, I traveled every weekend for 13 years from Philadelphia to Wilmington to have my fun-90 mile round trip each time. I wish I could do it now, but my job has me tied up, but one day I will return.

Good luck with your layout, just dont have any floods along the right of way!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Wooddale.jpg
Click Image to Resize

strasburg475
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: May 22nd, 2004, 8:57pm »

Glad the misunderstandings have been cleared up. I think that riding is fun, but I chase because I enjoy the sight and sound of steam locomtives from the outside (can't see 'em on the inside). Volunteering will be rewarding since you know you're helping out.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #13 on: May 24th, 2004, 1:00am »

As, I said, the best way any railfan can help any museum when they want to chase is buy a ticket....it helps everyone out.  

And yes volunteering is very rewarding and educational.....I am sure WWRRDave can realte to me when I say the joy is learning to speak American-Polish combined dialect in short order....truely shorline shop railroading at its best!

SRC90
Former Member

« Reply #14 on: May 29th, 2004, 12:07am »

All of the above post couldn't be more true.  The younger generation being us teens like myself and WWRRDave are the future of steam railroading.  If we can't get the interest to spread it will be a lot harder to keep a steam locomotive operating railroad running.  The best way to do that is for us the young folks to volunteer at any nearby steam operation in your area.  WWRRDave has gotten me in good with the guys at Rough and Tumble and a few guys at the WWRR so I can finally pursue one of my dreams of actually working on and running steam locomotives.  The only problem is, is that I'm about a 2 and a half hour trainride and 3 hour + to any steam operation so I can only volunteer on a limited schedual ( IF THE WWRR EVER RETURNS MY VOLUNTEER REQUEST FORM!! ).  I second the point made where railfans always say "This should be done" "That should not be done" "If I had my way blah blah blah" the truth is you should take your lazy self and go to that place and give them a big fat check so the things you would like to see happen actually do.

Just a little sidenote,  Strasburg475 you said this in the Strasburg Forum and I'll just repeat it:  Strasburg does not allow any volunteers period.  Their entire staff are on the payroll, yes it sucks but hell there are other places you can start.

strasburg475
Former Member

« Reply #15 on: May 29th, 2004, 8:51am »

I've moved across the street to the RR Museum of PA. The volunteer coordinator, David Fair, seems interested and has already interviewed me once. The final decision will be made in early June, so I'll let you know the outcome and my volunteering schedule.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

AllTourist/4662-lg[1].jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #16 on: May 31st, 2004, 3:06am »

Its a very sad thing that tourist railroads are so far away from the people who really do want to work for them. I would love it if some one started a tourist operation on the Old Reading RR Newtown Branch....its scenic as all he** and in my back yard, but that won't happen.

So, you have to choose an operation nearest you and give it a go, once a month if thats all you can give...there is only one problem with most "for-profit" companies like Strasburg and New Hope and Ivyland, they do not look to kindly to volunteers. Not that they wouldn't mind having them, it in reality is an insurance nightmare when you have paid staff working most of your company and throw in a few volunteers. Too much liability and their insurance can go through the roof is just one person gets hurt volunteering unlike a Paid person who pays into his or her insurance and comes under state and federal laws in regard to any disability.  

The RRMof PA is a good place to volunteer and Kurt Bell has good connections with both W&W and NH&I as he worked and has written articles in railfan mags on both places of which the one in the 1990 Locomotive & Railway Preservation magazine ( with #37 crossing The Red Clay on the cover) can give you good insight into W&W operations then and still holds true to now.

Coffee
Historian

« Reply #17 on: May 31st, 2004, 10:24am »

Interesting that I find this thread and more so as a friend just did his first day of volunteering at the W&W laying 100# rail. Hard work as it was he enjoyed the experience and learned more in 2 hours than if he read a book about it. He's looking forward to more hours with the railroad. I'll let him know about your yahoo group Dave.

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

Ohio Central Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ohiocentralsystem

Heracles87
TRAINing

« Reply #18 on: May 31st, 2004, 1:48pm »

Thanks for the link Coffee, it was a good day of work. Everyone is friendly and willing to teach and lend a hand in making you feel welcome. A organization is only as good as its people, and the W&W is very much blessed in that area.

Volunteer, Trackworker, Wilmington & Western RR.

www.WWRR.com
Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #19 on: May 31st, 2004, 3:49pm »

I know this is kinda strange but the W&W could have Strasburg take a look at # 92 and inspect her and maybe even help with the restoration since they already have the resources for #89. That could help speed up the process while the W&W is working on the #98.  Just something they could do that would help. Maybe they would feel better if they did it theirselves. I dont know.  
       Cy

Go Braves!

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »