Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 5:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

45G Renewal Gains momentum
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   WNY&P, LA&L & B&H
(Moderators: Matthew_L, railwatcher, pablo, bwparker1)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: 45G Renewal Gains momentum  (Read 199 times)
roc
Historian

« on: Jul 17th, 2017, 4:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

While specifically not a LAL, BH, or WNYP issue, renewal of the 45G tax credit for shortline investment, a legal provision that our fave railroads have made heavy use of in the past, is gaining momentum.

That said, contact your legislators and remind them who butters their bread.

https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/federal_legislation_regulation/news/ASLRRA-45G-tax-credit-achieves-majority-support-in-Congress

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2017, 4:23pm by roc » Logged

A smokey Alco and a good camera, nevermind the weather...
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

Re: 45G Renewal Gains momentum

« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2017, 10:19pm »

My only issue with this is how companies like G&W take advantage of this.  But I suppose it helps to keep paper railroads alive.  I have no issue with small actual short lines using our tax money.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
roc
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18th, 2017, 1:25am »

Me, too. G&W is at best a shortline holding company leveraging the economies of scale available to geographically disparate shortline railroads (ie better deals on cross ties, diesel, rail, etc).

Practically speaking, however, G&W is a global corporation sucking the public marrow dry, aka publicly subsidized infrastructure, private profit.

Nevertheless, it keeps trains running through my backyard. So who am I to quibble. Moreover, I'd like to see a lot more money invested in passenger rail and that never gets anywhere without public money.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18th, 2017, 10:37am »

I know we are getting off topic.  

The G&W issue is one facing a lot of companies operating in America. The insatiable appetite of the investor continues to drive G&W to eat up everything it can to continue to show strong growth.  

The bidding war for the P&W is just one example.  G&W will continue to over pay and make offers small owners cant refuse, when they cant show growth investors will leave and G&W stock will plummet. The cycle may start again as G&W sells off lines to increase profit etc etc etc

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
roc
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2017, 2:38pm »

on Jul 18th, 2017, 10:37am, towny72 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I know we are getting off topic.  

The G&W issue is one facing a lot of companies operating in America. The insatiable appetite of the investor continues to drive G&W to eat up everything it can to continue to show strong growth.  

The bidding war for the P&W is just one example.  G&W will continue to over pay and make offers small owners cant refuse, when they cant show growth investors will leave and G&W stock will plummet. The cycle may start again as G&W sells off lines to increase profit etc etc etc

Sad but true. I think the world, especially as relates to infrastructure, needs more public benefit corporations.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »