Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 16th, 2017, 11:40pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New photography policy at the LA&L and B&H
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   WNY&P, LA&L & B&H
(Moderators: Matthew_L, railwatcher, pablo, bwparker1)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New photography policy at the LA&L and B&H  (Read 341 times)
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Feb 3rd, 2017, 9:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I must sadly report that the LA&L no longer allows either still photos or video to be shot on their property. According the trusted source who gave me this information, the B&H is also under the jurisdiction of this ban. The WNYP hasn't enacted a similar policy for photos, but they could so if they wish.  

This is a major disappointment for me, because I formerly had access to the B&H for nearly 41 years... through changes in management and even ownership. With that being said, I request all of my fellow railfans to join me in respecting the change in photo policy at the B&H/LA&L. Both RRs are private property, and they are well within their rights to restrict who accesses it.  

I do not know what prompted this change. I suspect foamers, graffiti vandals or even thieves masquerading as railfans prompted the ban. Obviously, still photos and video can still be shot from public property, which is where we should go to get our Alco fix.    

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2017, 9:32pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

Re: New photography policy at the LA&L and B&H

« Reply #1 on: Apr 8th, 2017, 11:22am »

Thanks for sharing Matt.

Ive noticed over the past few years the LA&L family has been becoming much more of the norm in railroading. Cameras on all the units, etc.  

Lets face it, its 2017 these are businesses no different then the Barilla factory. Protect the companies interest is a priority due to many many factors these days.  

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
railwatcher
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2017, 5:54am »

Owning a transportation company is a very liable operation, where you've got to protect your investments.  Run cameras or incident cameras are becoming the norm in our "I'll see you in court" world.  Insurance companies are either supplying or demanding monitoring the operators and crews with cameras.  When an incident arises, all is recorded so it can be decided if the right course of action prevailed.   At rail crossings all things are recorded,  did the horns get sounded, speed, direction, visibility, was the crossing protection working, what was the reactions of the crew in the cab? All these are recorded for incident liability management.  Limiting who and where a train is being filmed is also a protection.  So many have broken or everstepped their boundaries, because they either don't care or think they are entitled.

Live from Avon, NY. Rail serviced by the LA&L.
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10th, 2017, 8:03pm »

Agreed on all accounts, gents. I've also heard that the LA&L has expanded the yard for Sweetener's Plus, which has also enacted a no photography policy on their property. That corner of Lakeville may have become even busier, to the point where's there's no safe place for non-RR employees to be.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »