Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 11:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Meadville Area Opps
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   WNY&P, LA&L & B&H
(Moderators: Matthew_L, railwatcher, pablo, bwparker1)
   Meadville Area Opps
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Meadville Area Opps  (Read 4904 times)
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

Meadville Area Opps

« on: Jan 10th, 2011, 7:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Been a while since any discussion of operations around Meadville have gone on. How are the traffic levels in Mead, I hear things have dropped off a bit but have not been around to see for myself.  

Thanks

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
BLE909
Railfan
Re: Meadville Area Opps

« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 11:29pm »

I understand that the ME-2 is back as of this past week.  Traffic is good.  11M/12M traffic goes to Ferrona now as opposed to Meadville.  C23 takes the cars for Meadville the rest of the way.  I've also heard an M2M extra run east from Ferrona to Meadville on one occasion.

Jon Clark
Greenville, Pa
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:01am »

Thanks Jon,  

On a side not what kind of traffic is going up the Youngstown line these days?

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
BLE909
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28th, 2011, 7:30pm »

Not very familiar with the Youngstown line.  All I know is that traffic is infrequent during the day, and when there is traffic its hard to chase cause its fast running.

Heres the scoop on Meadville to clear things up.

WNYP
ME-1:
-On duty 7am every day but Saturday
-Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday are branch days
-Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are Falconer turns
ME-2:
-Runs on an AS NEEDED basis whenever there is too much work for the ME-1 to complete during the hours of service.

NS
C23
-Road local turn between Ferrona and Meadville.
-Handles all interchange traffic with the WNYP
-Sometimes will run with 12M's power from Ferrona, tie down overnight, and re-crew for the return as an 11M from Meadville.
11M
-Westbound road local out of Ferrona to Conway
-As stated above, will occasionally still run from Meadville if the previous night's C23 used their power.
12M
-Eastbound road local from Conway to Ferrona.

There is talk that ME-2 will eventually become a more permanent fixture, but that is still a little ways off.  I've also heard that 11M/12M will again be running Conway-Meadville as of next week.  I'll believe it when it happens though.  There were lots of problems with making Meadville within the hours of service from Conway last time they tried that.  There have been some excellent combinations of lease power on the 11M12M as of late.  Its unfortunate that it's so unpredictable, as I've seen several BN and BNSF painted HLCX SD40-2s, as well as the CITX grey ghost former CP Rail SD40s, as well as former FURX green and silver CITX SD40s.  Not to mention, NS SD38 3802 has appeared on the Conway to Ferrona leg, as well as a CR blue SD40-2R.  If you are looking for colorful consists on NS, west of Meadville is the place to get it.  As far as coal trains go, I'm not really sure, but I'm fairly certain they still get several per week over the WNYP.

Jon Clark
Greenville, Pa
Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28th, 2011, 9:02pm »

Mr. Clark, thanks for the fantastic report!

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
jbcrate
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2011, 9:26pm »

Re "Ferrona"
Just being curious I tried kooking up "Ferrona" on my DeLorme Pennsylvania map, and the best I could do was "Perrona Sta" at loc.BC-1, pg. 42, adjacent to Sharon, to the West. Otherwise where do I find it?
Thanks
Jack Crate

Hyrailer
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2011, 12:10am »

How many customers are on the line between Corry and Meadville? I used to work the line with a guy named Dave Bush when Dingman operated it. I haven't been out that way in a long time since going to work for the Reading and Northern.

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jan 31st, 2011, 3:06am »

Ferrona is the NS yard north of Clark St. in Sharon, PA.  

Unofficial list of industries  (WNYP does not comment on their customers)

Corry  
   -B&P (ex ALY) interchange
   -Universal Well
Mill Village & Cambridge Springs
   -Western Reserve Milling (non active at both locations)
Saegertown
   -Lord Chemical Corp.
   -US Bronze (used to store cars for a historical group, now inactive)
Meadville
   -Universal Well
   -Meadville Metals
   -AIM (Ashtabula Iron & Metals)
   -Dads Dog Food (on the old B&LE Vallonia branch)
   -Suit Kote (new siding constructed on the old Erie Car Shop east lead
   -Bulk transload in the yard, i have seen grain and aggregate service here
    There is a scale for trucks there, located rr east of the hot start track

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Hyrailer
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 10:10pm »

No offense intended. But that list of customers does not look like very much online revenue. I know there trackage rights trains. But they can dry up in a heartbeat. I hope enough money is generated by online customers to run the railroad without trackage rights trains.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #9 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 9:56am »

on Feb 5th, 2011, 10:10pm, DaveK wrote:       (Click here for original message)
No offense intended. But that list of customers does not look like very much online revenue. I know there trackage rights trains. But they can dry up in a heartbeat. I hope enough money is generated by online customers to run the railroad without trackage rights trains.

Lfire answered your question regarding the Meadville-Corry stretch.  You DO realize that there is more to WNYP than that don't you?  The Oil City Branch, Corry to Hornell, and the Driftwood Line, and all customers contained.

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
railwatcher
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 10:11am »

....and may I add that there is plenty of opportunities and room for growth that has not yet been acquired.   Things improve gradually.  They are a service oriented carrier and the customers are just finding that out.   It will come in time.  

Greg

Live from Avon, NY. Rail serviced by the LA&L.
Hyrailer
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 11:16am »

I do not know how many customers they have. I am just curious. The RR I currently work for took many years to develop its customer base. I used to live in Warren Pa., but left 10 years ago because all the jobs were leaving. They have done a fantastic job so far with bringing customers back and I wish them well.

Hyrailer
Railfan

« Reply #12 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 11:20am »

I meant to say that I wish the WNY&P well. The fans of the WNY&P have a friend on the RBM&N.

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 12:49pm »

I have run several threads on the other line segments, and the industries that are actively served. One measure of success is that even after one of their largest customers (Erie Plasics in Corry, PA) closed, WNY&P managed to not only survive, but expand and provide service to niche markets, such as the brine transloads and gon service in Jamestown at the Washington St bridge, storing cars on unused yard tracks and sidings, and catering to the movie company back in 2009. The 500 series coal trains certainly help pay the bills, but the innovative service and effort put in by WNY&P management is what keeps the line open.  

I remember a time just a few years ago when Meadville yard was nothing but weeds, Olean was just a stop for cheese reefers, and running east of Cuba was for coal trains only. Compared to Conrail in the early 1990's when Corry to Jamestown was out of service, and east of Wellsville was out of service, I would say monumental progress has been made.

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
railwatcher
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 3:35pm »

on Feb 6th, 2011, 12:49pm, Lfire83 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have run several threads on the other line segments, and the industries that are actively served. One measure of success is that even after one of their largest customers (Erie Plasics in Corry, PA) closed, WNY&P managed to not only survive, but expand and provide service to niche markets, such as the brine transloads and gon service in Jamestown at the Washington St bridge, storing cars on unused yard tracks and sidings, and catering to the movie company back in 2009. The 500 series coal trains certainly help pay the bills, but the innovative service and effort put in by WNY&P management is what keeps the line open.  

I remember a time just a few years ago when Meadville yard was nothing but weeds, Olean was just a stop for cheese reefers, and running east of Cuba was for coal trains only. Compared to Conrail in the early 1990's when Corry to Jamestown was out of service, and east of Wellsville was out of service, I would say monumental progress has been made.  

Exactly...Rome was not built  in a day!

Live from Avon, NY. Rail serviced by the LA&L.
Hyrailer
Railfan

« Reply #15 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 3:45pm »

Who actually owns the track?

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 8:37pm »

NS actually owns the track between Meadville and Hornell. They lease it to the WNYP under a deal which includes trackage rights.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Ron Stafford
Chaser

« Reply #17 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 8:54am »

on Feb 6th, 2011, 8:37pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)
NS actually owns the track between Meadville and Hornell. They lease it to the WNYP under a deal which includes trackage rights.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you'll find that NS only owns the Hornell to Corry portion of the line.  

WNYP assumed direct ownership from MP 60.5 (Corry) to Meadville back in 2002 from the Northwest Pennsylvania Rail Authority.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #18 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 5:30pm »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 8:54am, Ron Stafford wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you'll find that NS only owns the Hornell to Corry portion of the line.  
WNYP assumed direct ownership from MP 60.5 (Corry) to Meadville back in 2002 from the Northwest Pennsylvania Rail Authority.

I'm with you on this Ron.  WNYP owns Meadville to Corry, and they lease Corry to Hornell from NS.  I believe that they also lease the OC Branch from NS.  Just out of curiousity, when NS pays for the run throughs, is it just from Meadville to Corry, or is it payment for travel on the entire WNYP/ERIE since WNYP is actually the "operator" of the entire line?

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2011, 5:33pm by EMTRailfan » Logged

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Hyrailer
Railfan

« Reply #19 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 6:12pm »

Wouldn't it be something if NS decided to terminate the lease.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »