Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 17th, 2017, 9:25pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Meadville Area Opps
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   WNY&P, LA&L & B&H
(Moderators: Matthew_L, railwatcher, pablo, bwparker1)
   Meadville Area Opps
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Meadville Area Opps  (Read 4899 times)
roc
Historian
Re: Meadville Area Opps

« Reply #40 on: Jan 9th, 2016, 5:40pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

So close, yet so…

Work on the track, though not the actual facility, for the new grain elevator at the Keystone Industrial Park just West of Meadville is progressing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/748261498523652/1267861526563644/

SPECULATION WARNING!!!

I think, if the world was just ever so slightly more just, the WNYP would be the operator for that portion of the line with trackage rights into Ferrona (??) for interchange purposes.

What say thee gents?

Also, does anyone know the status of the proposed tires to energy plant? It seemed liked they had a clear path, having beat back a number of lawsuits and now there hasn't been any movement for more than a year.

Anyone know what's up with that? Simply a case of market conditions, I suspect…

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2016, 10:35pm by roc » Logged

A smokey Alco and a good camera, nevermind the weather...
DEADPOOL.
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Mar 4th, 2016, 4:36pm »

the meadville opps are alive and kicking, i live 150 yards from the yard and see almost everything that goes on.

roc
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Mar 4th, 2016, 8:10pm »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 6:12pm, DaveK wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wouldn't it be something if NS decided to terminate the lease.

I imagine they'd try to sell it to either WNYP or the state before abandonment.

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2016, 8:13pm by roc » Logged

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Mar 4th, 2016, 9:52pm »

Deadpool,  

Welcome to the board.  

Nice pic of NS coming into Meadville.  

Couple things just tossing out there and Im sure Ill catch flak.  

1. Try to resize your photos to a smaller size so they fit the window. Good shot, clean and crisp but its hard to view all of it.  

2. As a manager in the rail industry I cringe when I see a pic take from the "gauge" or between the rails. For a railroader this is an area where we can personally be fined by the FRA with out following the rules. For a non employee it is straight trespassing. Even if you have permission from the railroad to take photos posting pics standing where you should not be could end up getting somebody in hot water. If the wrong manager comes across a pic like that they could be making a phone call to somebody right away and landing them in hot water.  

Be safe, enjoy, and always respect private property.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
roc
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Mar 6th, 2016, 4:31pm »

A bridge between Ferona and the Keystone Industrial Park can't carry 286K cars and needs to be replaced. The reason this is important because the on hold grain facility that requires unit trains with 286K cars. Obviously, this is a project we need to get behind!

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/news/local_news/bridge-s-weight-rules-put-multi-million-dollar-project-on/article_39725502-e0c1-11e5-a6cf-5b28e8ddef28.html

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2016, 7:56pm by roc » Logged

centercab
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Mar 6th, 2016, 7:47pm »

Guess I need some enlightenment......Why is Deerfield Farms responsible for any portion of bridge repairs and why should Deerfield Farms be required to accept longer than initially agreed upon trains thus requiring the purchase of additional acreage After all, they're the Customer

Love that Solyndra!
roc
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Mar 6th, 2016, 8:11pm »

They aren't responsible for the repair or replacement of the bridge. The bridge was recently downgraded from 273K cars to 263K cars. Deerfield's investment won't go forward unless the bridge is upgraded or replaced. The bridge issue must be addressed to insure this critical project gets completed, which will also help insure the continued viability of the WNYP.

I've written my Congressman and Senators imploring them to help secure funding for bridge repair/replacement. Obviously, WNYP board members in New York State should write their reps to push for funding, as well!

Here's my email:

++++++++++

To: Rep.Kelly@opencongress.org, Sen.Casey@opencongress.org, Sen.Toomey@opencongress.org

Bridge's weight rules put multi-million dollar project on hold

Bridge's weight rules put multi-million dollar project on hold

A weight restriction on a Mercer County railroad bridge has a multi-million dollar agribusiness project in Crawford County on hold.

By now, Deerfield Farms Service Inc. of Deerfield, Ohio, was expected to have started construction of a grain elevator and grain storage facility at the Keystone Regional Industrial Park in Greenwood Township. A grain elevator is a tower containing a bucket elevator or a conveyor which scoops up grain from a lower level and deposits it in a silo or other storage facility.

But, a 10,000-pound weight reduction on a Norfolk Southern Railroad bridge over the Shenango River in downtown Sharon has delayed the project until the bridge is replaced or repaired, according to officials of Deerfield Farms and the Economic Progress Alliance of Crawford County.

The bridge's capacity has been lowered by 10,000 pounds per rail car — from 273,000 to 263,000, making Deerfield's project not economically feasible, according to Mark Turner, executive director of the Economic Progress Alliance. That bridge is critical because Norfolk Southern's rail line through Mercer County over the Shenango River and north into Crawford County is the only way grain trains from Ohio will travel to and from the facility, Turner said.

Turner estimates repairing or replacing the Norfolk Southern bridge over the Shenango River at $4 million to $5 million, but funding hasn't been lined up as yet.

"They have no alternative," Turner said of Deerfield's need for a rail line. "This is an example of why economic development is regional. We've got a serious infrastructure problem impacting us, but it's not even in our county. This is a literal bottleneck. Without the bridge being replaced or repaired this project can't happen."

Dave Wolf, spokesman for Deerfield Farms, said the firm hopes to get the grain elevator started in the 2017 construction season.

"Rail is what makes the project possible, but with a weight restriction down to 263,000 pounds, it's not efficient and economically feasible for us," Wolf said. "We're very optimistic it still can be done, but the bridge issue is something out of our control. We're confident the bridge issue can be resolved."

The big concerns now are figuring out how to pay for the bridge and who pays, Turner said.

"What portion of that should be Deerfield Farms and what portion of that should be borne by Norfolk Southern to serve others who are served on the line?" Turner asked.

There are five companies in Mercer and Crawford counties who currently use the line that are operating with reduced carload weight because of the railroad bridge issue in Mercer County — NLMK Pennsylvania, Sharon Coatings LLC and Crosstex in Mercer County with a total of 855 jobs, and Ainsworth Pet Nutrition and Lord Corp. in Crawford county with 525 jobs.

There are another 10 companies in the two counties who are future users that could be impacted by the railroad bridge issue, including a unit train rail yard in Mercer County with an estimated 1,510 jobs potentially affected.

Dave Pidgeon, spokesman for Norfolk Southern, declined comment on the situation. Pidgeon said Norfolk Southern routinely declines to comment on customers or potential customers using its rail lines and declines to comment on budgets for capital projects.

When the Deerfield project first was proposed 2014, the dedicated grain trains were to be about 70 cars each and the Mercer County railroad bridge had a capacity of 273,000 pounds per car, which was adequate, Turner said.

The elevator was planned on a 13-acre site Deerfield purchased at the Keystone Regional Industrial Park in October 2014 from the Economic Progress Alliance for $150,000. There was an option on another 80 acres for a 7,000-foot loop track to accommodate trains of about 70 cars, Turner said.

The grain elevator and rail project had received $5 million in state funding because Deerfield Farms was committing more than $8 million toward it.

However, in 2015 Norfolk Southern subsequently increased the unit train size first to 85 cars and then 115 cars, but the weight restriction on the Mercer County bridge was lowered to 263,000 pounds per car, Turner said.

Because of the increase in the length of the train, the project has had to be put on a new larger site, totally redesigned and the entire permitting process restarted, Turner said.

"The 13 acres of land we sold them, we're going to have to unsell it," Turner said. "It's now on a 200-acre site (within the industrial park), and the $150,000 will be credited to the company toward the new purchase."

Because the elevator project has had to be expanded in its size because of the bridge issue, there also is a funding gap for the elevator project, Turner said. The Economic Progress Alliance and Deerfield are trying to leverage additional funding from state and federal sources, Turner said.

"We're working through all of this right now," Turner said. "I think we'll find a solution to it ultimately."

Keith Gushard can be reached at 724-6370 or by email at kgushard@meadvilletribune.com.

================

Thank you for your attention and best of luck helping to bring the Deerfield Farms Service project to completion, boosting investment, infrastructure and employment in our corner of Pennsylvania!

enjoy,

Ron Carlson
Address
Phone #

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2017, 8:46am by roc » Logged

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Mar 7th, 2016, 12:02am »

There are a few disconnects here.  

The post mentions 286,000 pound cars, but then the article talks about the current load restriction as being 273,000 pounds being reduced to 263,000 pounds, so which is it?  286k or 273k?

Then there is this:

Quote:
However, in 2015 Norfolk Southern subsequently increased the unit train size first to 85 cars and then 115 cars, but the weight restriction on the Mercer County bridge was lowered to 263,000 pounds per car, Turner said.

Because of the increase in the length of the train, the project has had to be put on a new larger site, totally redesigned and the entire permitting process restarted, Turner said.

Huh?  This seems strange.  Isn't train length based on the customer's and shipper's wants/needs, not those of the hauler.  So, who is really behind the increased train length?  The shipper?  Sounds line the receiver is not, or is this simply posturing hoping to get more money out of the locals?

My first thought was, how big is the bridge?  Based on the picture, I can see yes, big enough to be a real issue.  How bad do the locals want this industry?  What about road damage if the loads come by truck?

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Mar 7th, 2016, 8:17am »

Certainly more at play here then the article is leading onto.  

I would question the accuracy of the article as well, a good point as the industry/industrial development group is looking for more funds.

The highway system around the area is substantial enough to handle this increase, at one time the industrial park across RT18 from the current site was quite busy. 4 lane highway from a by gone era of industry in Western Pa would welcome a little more work/tax base.  

One more underlying issue is the way NS has been known to treat customers. I have been seeing this from years on my end, class 1s want to move freight from A to B line side customers are an after thought. This might seem like a big deal to us and a great increase in traffic but its not a drop in the bucket for NS. I know the NS has hurt the WNYP many times in Meadville leaving the WNYP customers high and dry with cars being trapped in Conway etc. Rumors always come up about the WNYP getting more track down into possible Shenango to help turn around time on frieght, but with potential industry coming between Mead and Shenango I dont know if NS is really looking to dump that part of the line.  

roc
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Mar 7th, 2016, 7:41pm »

Geeze Louise. The point is that a major development project is on hold because a bridge can no longer carry cars of the required weight. This also affects the WNYP's prospects in the future.

Industrial development in general and, for that matter, WNYP's status as a going concern are both tightly associated with public support, tax concessions, infrasucture grants and more.

"There is potential for restoration of weekly service between Falconer and Meadville, based upon anticipated new traffic (aggregates, fracking wastewater, and natural gas). There is potential for restoration of regular service on the Buffalo Line, north of Olean, based upon anticipated new traffic (new pipe yard activity). Aggregates, petroleum distillates, fracking sand freight volume is increasing. Storage of empty crude oil cars continues."  

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=WNYP;action=display;num=1456735059

Seriously, nitpick and carp to your heart's desire, but write your reps and get behind a rail infrastructure project that will be good for the WNYP. 286k support is critical to the WNYP's future and that won't happen until this bridge is fixed.

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2016, 1:33am by roc » Logged

railwatcher
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Mar 8th, 2016, 4:15pm »

What no more rusty rails on the north of Olean section and west of Jamestown! The four corners in Olean could be busier from each direction.  Fixing a bridge to help input traffic is a no brainer.  The question is how many more bridges are close to failing?  OR need major repairs?  The environmental side of things always cause a stir, and planning, bidding and the actual building time, could really throw this back some serious time.   Better get a move on it!

Live from Avon, NY. Rail serviced by the LA&L.
pablo
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Mar 14th, 2016, 11:56am »

It's been a long time since it was around, but I remember seeing a list of bridges that needed to be upgraded to the newest standard, and it's a huge shortline concern. It has already killed shortlines with shipper restrictions in the past.  

I know it has been floated, but not lately: if the standards ever go to 315K, as has been suggested, the work needed for that will be enormous.

Dave Becker

Moderates: WNY&P, LA&L & B&H
Railfan.net
roc
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Mar 24th, 2016, 2:12am »

on Mar 14th, 2016, 11:56am, pablo wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It's been a long time since it was around, but I remember seeing a list of bridges that needed to be upgraded to the newest standard, and it's a huge shortline concern. It has already killed shortlines with shipper restrictions in the past.  

I know it has been floated, but not lately: if the standards ever go to 315K, as has been suggested, the work needed for that will be enormous.

Dave Becker

I have read that the bridge in question is the last non-286k bridge along the old Erie Chicago main.

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2016, 2:13am by roc » Logged

pablo
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Mar 30th, 2016, 2:05pm »

Ron, this could well be the case, but a few years back, when the WNYP shifted the main in Falconer, I was surprised that the original bridge needed to "dumped," to use the other bridge instead. It wouldn't surprise me if inspections add another to the list from time to time due to age or condition.

Dave Becker

Moderates: WNY&P, LA&L & B&H
Railfan.net
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Mar 31st, 2016, 9:15am »

I would suspect this bridge may be replaced like the one in Greenville.  NS built a new bridge right along side the old and this did not interrupt the daily local.  

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Jun 11th, 2016, 11:56am »

Not much in the way of news.

427 continues to hold down the Meadville outpost. Things are steady, just waiting on the 406 to show up.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Dec 8th, 2016, 5:21pm »

No major news in Meadville and down the branch.  

421 is back to her usual spot in Mead, nothing major with customers etc...

RSCopeland
TRAINing
View Profile  

image-9.jpg - 249848 Bytes
« Reply #57 on: Dec 19th, 2016, 8:41am »

Here is the Bridge that needs repaired

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (249848 bytes, 1088x640 pixels)

Click Here to View Image image-9.jpg - 249848 Bytes

roc
Historian
  keystone-b-park-infrastructure.jpg - 169978 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: Feb 23rd, 2017, 10:02am »

Google Maps/Earth has finally been updated and we can now see the new track installed for the as yet to be constructed grain transfer and milling facility very near the Keystone Industrial Park just West of Meadville.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (169978 bytes, 1099x683 pixels)

Click Here to View Image keystone-b-park-infrastructure.jpg - 169978 Bytes

centercab
Historian

« Reply #59 on: Feb 25th, 2017, 8:21pm »

Is the existing bridge going to be strengthened or will it be completely replaced? Would seem that if they have already put down the new track for the grain facility a firm plan would be in place to solve the bridge issue in light of the fact it is a key part for access to the facility.

Love that Solyndra!
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »