Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 11:46pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

NKP 765 Excursions 8/1 and 8/2/2015 Erie Limited thread
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western NY Class 1's
(Moderator: Alcoman)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: NKP 765 Excursions 8/1 and 8/2/2015 Erie Limited thread  (Read 62 times)
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« on: Aug 1st, 2015, 10:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I thought I would create this thread to share the photos I grabbed on Saturday, the first day of these wonderful weekend excursions. I hope to see a good number of others also contribute their own shots.

So, my son Jacob and I decided to take an impromptu road-trip to see if we could catch today's Erie Limited headed toward Corning. I hadn't made any official plans to chase the trains, but it was a beautiful morning, so I figured, "Why not?" Given it was getting to be late morning, I figured I would try to catch it in Hornell.

We crossed the tracks on the Rte. 36 bridge near the train station and I didn't see anything, so we drove down Park Drive. I saw a bunch of traffic building and just happened to catch see the marker-lights on the Pullman at the rear of the train. So I followed traffic across E Avenue Extension onto Ice House Road and pulled into a parking area of an empty parking lot along with another car of chasers. One can tell this open area was once a part of the eastbound yard as there are still remnants of the light-towers in place.

Just a minute or 2 later, the train was getting underway and headed east. Apparently there was a stop to load lunches for the passengers and we got there just in time!

The first group of photos are of the 765.

~Charlie Ricker

Charlie Ricker
Historian
Re: NKP 765 Excursions 8/1 and 8/2/2015 Erie Limited thread

« Reply #1 on: Aug 1st, 2015, 10:28pm »

The next group of photos are of the varnish. I only managed to catch the last half or two-thirds of the cars because I was so stunned, shocked and amazed at our good luck catching this train on a whim that I found myself just standing there watching the first part of the varnish like a knucklehead!  

Once I realized, "hey dummy, wake up and take more shots", I commenced taking photos. I couldn't believe all the people lined up and cars and trucks full of people! Well, yes I can.  

Hope you enjoyed the photos as much as I enjoyed shooting them!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Aug 3rd, 2015, 4:14pm »

Earlier today (8/3/15), I drove out to Dry Bridge Road on East Attica hill to see if I could catch NKP 765 one last time on it's trip east to Binghamton, Scranton and Allentown. I got there in plenty of time, but dark clouds kept building in as other folks showed up as NKP made it's way through Attica.

Just in time for 765's arrival was a heavy downpour that left us all drenched as we shot our photos and videos. I only got 2 decent photos as my camera had trouble focusing with the heavy rain but it was worth it, and it was fun chatting with all the others who showed up felt the blast of smoke as the train went under us!

It was also really nice to see a lot of young kids/young adults being excited to see this steamer. It bodes well for this great hobby!

Charlie  

~Charlie Ricker

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 3rd, 2015, 6:48pm »

Nice shots, Charlie! I'm still catching up from a busy month, but I'll post my shots when time prmits.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Aug 3rd, 2015, 9:42pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2015, 6:48pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nice shots, Charlie! I'm still catching up from a busy month, but I'll post my shots when time prmits.

Thanks Matt, and I look forward to seeing your shots when you get caught up.  

NS and the Fort Wayne Rail Road Historical Society did one phenomenal job!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »