Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 4:58pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Let the madness begin..
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western NY Class 1's
(Moderator: Alcoman)
   Let the madness begin..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Let the madness begin..  (Read 207 times)
Charlie Ricker
Historian
Re: Let the madness begin..

« Reply #20 on: Jun 1st, 2014, 9:03am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Excellent photos Matt!! And any music from "The Prince of Darkness" is ALWAYS good!  

Now that I have a camera again, I look forward to shooting in these locations myself.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

train48
Railfan

« Reply #21 on: Jun 1st, 2014, 9:37am »

Matt: most of my rail watching as a kid was done at the 42 mile marker - a few miles west of the Dunkirk depot. I understood that was 42 Mi. from the NYC lines east- lines west div. point in Buffalo. The Bayview Rd. pics show a C 532 mi. marker. Is this marker  something put in place by CSX? Does not make sense to me- since the former NYC line is now owned by NS from Berea Oh to Chicago. How much traffic of goes to/ from Elkhart/ Chicago from Berea? How much traffic stays on the CSX/(Big Four) line to Columbus from Berea? Thanks.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Jun 1st, 2014, 11:42am »

on Jun 1st, 2014, 9:37am, train48 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Matt: most of my rail watching as a kid was done at the 42 mile marker - a few miles west of the Dunkirk depot. I understood that was 42 Mi. from the NYC lines east- lines west div. point in Buffalo. The Bayview Rd. pics show a C 532 mi. marker. Is this marker  something put in place by CSX? Does not make sense to me- since the former NYC line is now owned by NS from Berea Oh to Chicago. How much traffic of goes to/ from Elkhart/ Chicago from Berea? How much traffic stays on the CSX/(Big Four) line to Columbus from Berea? Thanks.

That marker was put there by New York Central and indicates 532 miles to Chicago. But that's the route that is divided between CSX and NS.  

CSX from Buffalo to a point at Collinwood, OH and the continuing route straight ahead that is Norfolk Southern from Collinwood west to Chicago.....which was entirely NYC at the time (and Penn Central and Conrail before the NS/CSX split).

Hope that helps,

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Jun 1st, 2014, 9:24pm »

on May 31st, 2014, 9:18am, train48 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Matthew: I saw most of the trains from the Tifft/ Bayview Rd. shots on the same afternoon from a restaurant in Silver Creek. Seemed like a pretty big backlog of traffic running west that afternoon.

The slew of westbounds may explain why I saw the CSX eastbounds stopped at the approach to CP1 and CP Draw.  

on Jun 1st, 2014, 9:03am, Charlie Ricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Excellent photos Matt!! And any music from "The Prince of Darkness" is ALWAYS good!  

Now that I have a camera again, I look forward to shooting in these locations myself.

Thanx! I look forward to seeing your shots.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »