Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 25th, 2017, 11:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Chili Junction 2013
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Western NY Class 1's
(Moderator: Alcoman)
   Chili Junction 2013
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Chili Junction 2013  (Read 266 times)
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Chili Junction 2013

« on: Mar 22nd, 2013, 7:32pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Continuing with a tradition I've had for the past 6 years, I will be heading out to Chili Junction with my camera in hand on Saturday evenings during spring and summer.  OK, my first trip of 2013 was technically the last weekend of winter... but the shift to daylight savings time yields as much light in the evening as late September.  Let's kick of a new season on CSX's Chicago Line.  

Train #1 was a westbound intermodal freight:

Train #2 was also westbound, with auto racks for the coonsist:

Train #3 was the westbound Amtrak Empire Service:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 3/16/2013 at the Attridge Road crossing in Riga, NY.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Chili Junction 2013

« Reply #1 on: Mar 22nd, 2013, 7:41pm »

Train #4 was an eastbound CSX auto rack freight:

Train #5 was my final sighting of the evening. It was a CSX unit hopper train heading eastbound:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 3/16/2013 at the Attridge Road crossing in Riga, NY. I left early because A. the weather was cold and B. there was an apparent sag or soft spot on track #1, which appeared to be caused by digging for a pipeline passing underneath it. CSX sent out an MOW truck to check the area, and I noticed a westbound train parked on the Chicago Line east of Goodman Street during my trip home.  Although I have no confirmation on the subject, I strongly suspect the parked train was a result of CSX investigating (and probably repairing) the soft spot in question. Oh well, I'm baaaack.    

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23rd, 2013, 7:46pm »

It's a been a little while... but I got back to Chili Jct this past weekend. In the interests of saving time for myself and bandwidth for Henry, here is my album:  

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/Apr%202013/0420%20Chili%20Jct?sort=2&page=1

All photos were taken by me Sat 4/20/2013 in Riga, NY.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: May 27th, 2013, 7:26pm »

Next up, a trip to Chili Junction from earlier this month:  

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/May%202013/0504%20Chili%20and%20Riga?sort=2&page=1

Highlights include a parked westbound CSX auto rack train near Route 259 in Chili. It eventually got under way and came off the West Shore at Chili Junction in Riga.  

All photos in the album were taken by me Saturday 5/4/2013 in Monroe County, NY.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: May 27th, 2013, 8:01pm »

the following weekend was National Train Day, and I went out to Chili Junction to capture the action.  

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/May%202013/0511%20Riga%20NY?sort=2&page=1

The album is highlights of the action, rather than all of the trains I saw. My favorite train of the day was Amtrak's "Empire Service" because it had private varnish at the end of the consist.  

All photos were taken by me Saturday 5/11/2013 at Attridge Road in Riga, NY.

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2013, 8:01pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12th, 2013, 8:25pm »

K010 is the unit tank train that operates to the Port of Albany in eastern NY. It hauls Bakken crude oil from the Midwest and often has NS power in the mix. (The same holds true for the westbound empties- K013.)  

I caught up with K010 a few days ago at Chili Junction, which is on the west side of Greater Rochester. The lead unit was BNSF.  

The two trailing units were NS. If I'm lucky, I might catch them leading on the return trip... which has been known to run on weekends.  

Finally does anybody know what the marker next to the trailing tank car indicates? I assume it signifies something under SBD rules, but I don't know exactly what it is.  

For assorted other goodies, including a pair of trains coming off the West Shore Bypass, please visit:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/June%202013/0608%20Chili%20Jct?sort=2&page=1

All photos taken by me Saturday 6/8/2013 at the Attridge Road crossing in Riga, NY.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12th, 2013, 10:06pm »

Nice shots, Matthew.

As for the portable sign by the last tank car, I'm fairly sure it's an "approach" signal for a work area in the near-distance. It's like the portable "A" signs Conrail formerly used.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16th, 2013, 6:49pm »

Thanx, Charlie. I appreciate the explanation.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27th, 2013, 7:42pm »

I had another fun evening at Chili Junction 12 days ago. This outing included sightings of 3 eastbound trains heading down the West Shore Bypass.

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/June%202013/0615%20Chili%20Jct?sort=2&page=1

All photos were taken by me Saturday 6/15/2013 in Riga, NY.  

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2013, 8:54pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28th, 2013, 7:32am »

After 4, down the Shore!

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 8:35pm »

Agreed. Seeing trains coming off or entering the Shore seems to occur on about 2/3 of my trips to Chili Jct. Strangely, I did not see any Shore action on my last trip to Chili Jct... but it was still an interesting day. There were a couple of standard cabs serving as leading power for the westbounds.    

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/July%202013/0713%20Chili%20Jct?sort=2&page=1

All photos in link were taken by me Saturday 7/13/2013 in Riga, NY.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15th, 2013, 8:38pm »

My most recent trip to Chili Junction did allow to see several eastbound trains  go onto the West Shore. One of them included an SW1500 switcher and a standard cab EMD for power. There was also a meet west of MP 382, so it was a productive afternoon.

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/Aug%202013/0803%20Chili%20Jct?sort=2&page=1

All photos in the link were taken by me Saturday 8/3/2013 in Riga, NY. All rights are reserved.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Aug 20th, 2013, 8:22pm »

I made another pilgrimage to Chili Junction last weekend. Highlights included an eastbound light engine move (the 2nd time I'd seen light engines in six days) and a westbound train coming off the West Shore Bypass.  

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/Aug%202013/0816%20Chili%20Jct?sort=2&page=1

All photos in the link were taken by me Friday 8/16/2013 in Riga, NY. the days are growing shorter and the angle of the sun is changing, so my remaining visits to Chili Junction will be few.... perhaps just 1 or 2 more before autumn  ends them for the year.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Sep 7th, 2013, 1:36pm »

I made another visit to Chili Junction last weekend. The sun's angle is making shooting there harder, so I'm thinking next weekend will probably be my final trip for the season.  

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/Aug%202013/0830%20Chili%20Jct?sort=2&page=1

All photos in the link were taken by me Friday 8/30/2013 in Riga, NY; with the exception of the final photo. The latter was taken by me from the Union Street bridge in Chili, NY on Friday 8/30/2013.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Oct 1st, 2013, 8:33pm »

The final trip to Chili Junction was delayed by a week, but I did make there one more time. Highlights included a meet and an eastbound intermodal going down the West Shore Bypass.  

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/library/2013/Sept%202013/0914%20Riga%20NY?sort=2&page=1

All photos in this link were taken by me Saturday 9/14/0213 in Riga, NY. The final train rolling away under a perfect blue sky really sums up the season- thoroughly enjoyable. I hope y'all liked it, too. Bring on 2014!

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »