Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 25th, 2017, 1:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Valley Subdivision question
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Wheeling & Lake Erie
(Moderator: RobR)
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Valley Subdivision question  (Read 522 times)
Ron Stafford
Chaser

« on: Apr 14th, 2008, 1:23am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Back in the late 90's, the WLE applied for (and I believe later received) permission to abandon the Valley Subdivsion between Unionvale and Warrenton, and the Georgetown Branch from Adena out to the former Georgetown Coal prep plant.

Were these abandonments ever consumated and the track physically removed?

Ron S.

wvudad
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: Valley Subdivision question

« Reply #1 on: Feb 17th, 2010, 10:06am »

Rails are still in as of late 2009. I worked west on the valley to the tunnel under the OC Cadiz branch, had to cut several trees along the way, then came to a big slide at the tunnel portal. Set off and went around to the jct and worked to the West portal. The line was in good shape structure wise, but needs brush cut and the slips addressed before train traffic could resume. The Georgetown has been removed.

polski33
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23rd, 2011, 9:08pm »

Georgetown prep plant is gone, as is the W & LE Georgetown Branch. Valley sub is still there but track missing in some sections. Kenwood and east of Kenwood, track is gone for at least 1 mile. East of Rose Valley Branch, track is gone for a 1/4 mile. The new W & LE has gons stored from Y & O Coal Co.  east to west end of Kenwood.
The track that's gone will never come back. Really sad to view. I grew up on that line and remember what it used to look like.

wle1768
Enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26th, 2012, 8:22pm »

Just a quick note.  The WLE has started to use the Valley line again, from Rayland up to Dillonvale.  Fraq sand is now being unloaded in Dillonvale.  From what I understand, the cars are shoved from Rayland up to Dillonvale.  I believe this is the first traffic on the line in about 15 years.  Does anyone know when the last time the WLE was in Dillonvale?  Thanks

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »