Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 18th, 2018, 5:12pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Private rail cars wanting to travel across Canada on via .
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   VIA Rail
(Moderator: Yves)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Private rail cars wanting to travel across Canada on via .  (Read 152 times)
grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

« on: Aug 27th, 2010, 4:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

What have you heard about Via discourraging private rail cars from wanting to traval across Canada on the tail end of via rail trains?
Have you travaled this way?  I would like to hear about it !

ehbowen
Railfan
Re: Private rail cars wanting to travel across Canada on via .

« Reply #1 on: Aug 28th, 2010, 12:25pm »

My secondhand understanding is that VIA will no longer carry private cars at the end of trains that have streamlined observation cars (the Park cars on the Canadian and such). They are still willing to convey private cars on other trains with a door and a diaphragm at the end of the train. I haven't heard whether they might be willing to convey a private car at the head of a train with a streamlined observation.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

Check it out here: Streamliner Schedules!

Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!
joncalon
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Sep 19th, 2010, 12:17pm »

To be carried at the head end of a train such as the Canadian, you'd need to be electrically compatible with VIA's HEP setup.  Which basically makes it somewhat incompatible with Amtrak's HEP setup, so the odds are pretty slim you'll find a private car at the beginning of the train.

Jon

grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19th, 2010, 4:06pm »

Thanks Jon for your comments, I appreciate them.
   It is true that Amtrak's and Via's HEP set up is a little different and I have read an electical engineers explaination on it and found it most interesting.  It is very involved but as I understand it it can be over come by custom made jumper cables that meet Via's requirements according to the electrical engineer.  The other problem is the communication wiring/plugs and it is because of this that an Amtrak car even with the custom HEP cables will not be found at the head of the train but again another set of wiring can overcome this but can be expensive.  

As far as I can tell the Amtrak cars need to have the HEP plugs with modification to be at the rear of the train because of the braking warning system that has signals that are sent through each car on the train through the HEP system, that is where the need for the custom "jumper" cables come in.

A Canadian who purchases an Amtrak car that has recently passed PC-2 inspection as far as I can tell with modifications should have no problem.

I find this all very interesting but it sure does involve some planning/investigation !
No one should buy a private passenger or business car without having access to copies of all the "inspections" AND paying to have another amtrak inspector going over the car.  Of course the same thing if an Canadian rail car is purchased.

So much to learn and understand but it is fun....now if only I had the money !

Thanks again.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »