Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 18th, 2018, 5:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

VIA Rail in the News 2010
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   VIA Rail
(Moderator: Yves)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: VIA Rail in the News 2010  (Read 145 times)
Yves
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Jun 16th, 2010, 9:39am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

G20 derails Via  
Posted By TYLER BALL FOR THE WHIG-STANDARD

If you've bought a Via Rail ticket that requires you to travel to, from or through Toronto from June 23 to 27, you may want to reschedule.  

Due to the G20 summit and its related security restrictions, Via has cancelled 50 of the 162 trains normally scheduled to run through Union Station during that period.  

Trains that are running will not be entering the city. They will be terminated at Oshawa in the east, Oakville in the west and the Oriole GO station at Sheppard Avenue and Leslie Street to the north.  

Pat Hodge, a Kingston resident who is travelling to Stratford on Tuesday for the Stratford Festival was puzzled last week as she planned her return trip.  

"I was told originally that they didn't have any information," she said. "I went to the train station ... and they said I would have to leave the train at Oakville and be on my own to get to Oshawa."  

"I was totally dismayed because I have no idea where the bus terminal might be in Oakville," she said.  

Hodge spoke to Derek Bongard, a Via Rail customer experience representative, who said shuttles are running from the terminus points outside the city inwards, but only if you already have a ticket.  

"We can't sell you a ticket, but if you already have a ticket, we will shuttle people," he said.  

Bongard said ticket sales into Toronto were cut off about two weeks ago.  

"We're strictly selling tickets to and from the existing stations that the trains will be running to," he said. "You're on your own from between those points if you haven't got a ticket."  

Catherine Kaloutsky, a Via Rail representative, said to call the toll-free number or visit Via's website to clarify the schedule of their train.

Advertisement

"We are definitely still operating," she said. "There are options for customers who still wish to travel."  

Via suggests customers who wish to change or cancel their reservation should do so before June 22.  

Passengers not wishing to use the connecting shuttles can board GO Transit trains between Oshawa and Oakville with their ticket or Via will refund the non-travelled portion of their trip.  

The shuttles will run from the Oakville Via station through Yorkdale shopping centre, Scarborough Town Centre and the Oshawa Via station in both directions.  

For more information call 1 888 VIA-RAIL or visit www.viarail.ca.

tball@thewhig.com

Article ID# 2624641

Yves Marchand
Kingston, ON, CA
grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

Re: VIA Rail in the News 2010

« Reply #1 on: Sep 30th, 2010, 4:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Yes the G20 really put a few things on hold for a few days.  I would not have wanted to be in Toronto at that time

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »