Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 18th, 2018, 5:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Via to Restart service from Toronto to Peterborough?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   VIA Rail
(Moderator: Yves)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Via to Restart service from Toronto to Peterborough?  (Read 284 times)
Spenda
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Feb 26th, 2008, 9:57pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The Harper Government brought down their latest budget today, and while, predictably virtually nobody has anything good to say about it, supporters of passenger rail in central/southwestern Ontario have something to cheer about.  The budget sets aside $500 million for public transport, some of which will be used to upgrade the existing CP Rail line to Peterborough so that passenger trains may once more serve this city.

Check out this link:

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=918730&auth=BRENDAN%20WEDLEY/Examiner%20Staff%20Writer

This is fantastic news.  Who would have thought a year ago the Harper Government would be such a friend to Via?

joncalon
Historian
Re: Via to Restart service from Toronto to Peterborough?

« Reply #1 on: Feb 26th, 2008, 10:13pm »

Those who don't pay attention to history are doomed to repeat it.

Remember, it was Brian Mulroney who fought for revival of VIA's services following his election in 85 or thereabouts and it was his government which axed VIA in half only 5 years later...

For those who don't recall, Brian led a Tory government.

Jon

Spenda
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 11:13am »

on Feb 26th, 2008, 10:13pm, joncalon wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Remember, it was Brian Mulroney who fought for revival of VIA's services following his election in 85 or thereabouts and it was his government which axed VIA in half only 5 years later...

Jon

Jon,

You are absolutely right.  What I should have written was "Damn Tories.  Why can't they just leave VIA alone?"

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 2:08pm »

on Feb 26th, 2008, 10:13pm, joncalon wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Jon

I couldn't have said that better..only problem is, fewer and fewer people pay attention to the past, so they are increasingly ignorant..those who do are labelled as not progressive, and dismissed these days..

I wouldn't trust Harper or any Tory as far as I could throw them(a catapault would be better!)...Just wait and see what happens if we are ever stupid enough to hand him any real power, then we'll be in real trouble, he's just biding his time...Harper is a Mulroney prodigy....Mulroney being the most arrogant (expletive deleted) ever to walk...look at the bribery scandal that just broke in BC..I have NO doubt it is 100% true....sounds 100% typical to me...and we all know "Mr." Mulroney is as guilty as OJ in anything that surfaces, Airbus scandal or anything else.

The only good thing is, this sickeningly opportunistic "green" platform (which every sucker and short sighted voter is falling for hook line and sinker) bandwagon that every politician in this country, from municipal mayors right on up has jumped on, will make it very difficult for them to justify further cuts to our passenger rail system. Privatizing it however.....

Spenda
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 1:53pm »

I never posted the link to the Peterborough Examiner with the intention of starting a discussion about politics.  Rather, I thought the news that VIA might resume service from Toronto to Peterborough after a near twenty year gap would be interpreted as good news by those who read this forum.  Certainly I think it is, and I'll look forward to watching trains forge their way up CP's Belleville Sub in the Don Valley once more.  

That said it seems that nobody else who has posted here is  as interested in VIA or the trains themselves as they are in bashing Tory Governments of yesteryear, (for those who don't recall Brian was elected in September 1984, or thereabouts) or wagging a warning finger at those who seemingly forget the past.  Well to be perfectly honest I couldn't care less which government did what to whom twenty years ago as there is sod all any of us can do about it now.  I remember very well what the Mulroney government did for VIA having grown up in Calgary.  Service to Edmonton ended in 1985 and of course the "Canadian" stopped in 1990.  I believe I mentioned my surprise at the support the Harper Government has given VIA as I thought it an unlikely source too.  Nevertheless, whatever your feelings about Brian Mulroney are, it is difficult to argue that Harper hasn't been supportive of VIA thus far.  I feel comfortable in suggesting that his government has done more for VIA than the Liberals did in the decade they had in power.   While we're banging on about the Ghost of Politics Past, wasn't it a Conservative government under Sir John A. MacDonald who coughed up a lot of land and considerable sums of money from federal coffers to build the Canadian Pacific Railway in the first place?  

Anyway, the whole point of this forum is that it is a place for those interested in railways to share their thoughts and such on the state of VIA Rail.  Isn't it?  With that in mind I think the resupmtion of service, for whatever reason,  anywhere on the network is a good thing.  As such I look forward to hearing more about the reinstatement of service to Peterborough as the information becomes available.  Meantime, does anybody care to speculate what sort of frequency the service will run on?  Are there any ideas what sort of equipment VIA will use on the route?  I read somewhere recently they were testing some refurbished RDCs.  I wonder if they are looking to use similar equipment, or operate locomotive hauled trains to Peterborough.  I wonder too if the service will continue through Peterborough to Havelock as I believe the previous service did.

One thing I find frustrating about being a fan of passenger rail in Canada is that there is often so little to talk about.  I had thought that joining this forum would put me in touch with like minded people and put my ear a little closer to the grapevine.  I see this announcement of the possibility of reinstatement of service to Peterborough as incredible news given that all I have ever known about passenger rail in Canada is cutbacks and cancellations.  Thus, I'm surprised, not for the first time on this forum, that nobody wants to talk about trains.  I'd be very interested to hear about what other people think about this news.  However, if you want to talk politics let me know.  I could always sign up at railroad.net and see if they talk trains over there.

Best Wishes,

Spenda

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:46am »

The darn link expired......  

Has anyone heard more of this expansion or have another link?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Spenda
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:49pm »

Pyronova,

Try this one..

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=918666

The article isn't the same one, but one from the next day.  I found it by typing Peterborough ON Toronto Rail Link into google.

There appears to be some discussion in some of the other forums as to whether or not this route will actually be revived.  Fingers crossed.

Spenda

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:38pm »

on Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:49pm, Spenda wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Pyronova,

Try this one..

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=918666

The article isn't the same one, but one from the next day.  I found it by typing Peterborough ON Toronto Rail Link into google.

There appears to be some discussion in some of the other forums as to whether or not this route will actually be revived.  Fingers crossed.

Spenda

Interesting......
What is classified as "high-speed"?  60 mph? 80? 100?  30?  

Its too bad that most railfans feel that the Canadian government has slighted them or lacked the foresight of passenger rail service.   It doesn't matter if the Liberals or Conservatives or PCs are in office, they will ultimately get some railfan's blood boiling.    
Spenda:  Don't let these guys get you down..... and thanks for having a positive attitude where most unfortunately have a negative one....

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Spenda
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 2:37pm »

I was wondering the same thing about the "high speed" in the article in the Examiner.  Seems the media is convinced anything that runs on rails and has windows to look out of these days constitutes a high speed train.  I read somewhere that the current speed restrictions on the line allow a startling 30 mph!!  No doubt this would be raised somewhat and hence the investment.

I had the opportunity to ride from Toronto to Ottawa and then on to Montreal in the autumn of 2007.  I enjoyed clipping along at 100 mph on VIA's Alexandria Sub east of Ottawa.  I think 100 mph would be the very best case scenario for the service to Peterborough.  If I'm not mistaken Canadian law prevents trains operating at speeds in excess of 100 mph unless they run on a completely separate right of way with no level crossings.

Thanks for the support Pyronova.  

All the Best,

Spenda

Forum Admin
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 12:56pm »

missthealcos and others,

Please refrain from posting overtly partisan political views here. I know it is hard to not to inject politics into Via discussions, but bashing the Tories or Grits or NDP or BQ is a sure way to kill productive discussions about trains. Political mud-slinging and flame wars are to be avoided at all costs, there are lost of other places on the web for that.

Thanks,

Henry

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »