Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 18th, 2018, 5:03pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

F40 Overhaul Details
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   VIA Rail
(Moderator: Yves)
   F40 Overhaul Details
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: F40 Overhaul Details  (Read 264 times)
Spenda
TRAINing
View Profile  

F40 Overhaul Details

« on: Dec 11th, 2007, 7:34pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Today's CBC money news page reports some details on the overhaul of Via's F40 fleet.  See:

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/071211/b121191A.html

I thought the description "[/i]rusting dinosaurs[i]" was a bit dramatic.

jmlaboda
Historian
Re: F40 Overhaul Details

« Reply #1 on: Dec 11th, 2007, 8:34pm »

At nearly 2-mil a piece wouldn't it be better to go ahead and replace them?  But then, considering how much more new engines would cost I guess its the better option.  

If Amtrak had decided to try to rebuild at least some of their F40s I can't help but wonder how much more might have been able to be done in getting the passenger car fleet repaired so that cars could be made available for whatever... but Amtrak often takes advantage of funding in the wrong ways, even while some trains and some passengers take it hard on the chin...

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links added!!!
Interurban Passenger Car Photo Index
Presidents' Conference Car Photo Index
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2007, 8:09pm »

Goodness - first deliveries to be in March 2009. That strikes me as a long time to perform rebuilds, even very complete ones with considerable modifications.  

Anybody know just what they are going to do (besides strip them to the shell and apply anti-corrosiion treatment and new paint)?

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 1:33pm »

on Dec 12th, 2007, 8:09pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Goodness - first deliveries to be in March 2009. That strikes me as a long time to perform rebuilds, even very complete ones with considerable modifications.  

Anybody know just what they are going to do (besides strip them to the shell and apply anti-corrosiion treatment and new paint)?

They're remanufacturing the locomotives...In short, Everything gets taken apart, checked, replaced if needed or reconditioned, and then put back together.  Out of the process, you get a virtually new locomotive. I think CAD is giving themselves enough time to get a good grasp on how much work really needs to be done.  After all, I think they also found 6400's shell had been beaten up considerably that they needed to rebuild much of the frame.  They're likely anticipating the rest of the fleet is going to be in much the same condition.

Jon

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 2:47pm »

They're also apparently getting rid of the blended brake system, which wasn't liked whe they were new, and I guess never grew on anyone! From what I can tell, Via is in worse shape locomotive wise now, than they were before the F40's were delivered, and everything was 30+ years old. These poor things have been beaten to death...I don't think they have had #1 overhauls thus far, and they have had the wheels run right off them...they served well, and hauled Via through some tough times...it's good to see them getting some well deserved work...it also means we won't be looking at any ugly new GE's out west! Funny, I hated the F40's when they first started displacing the F-units in 1987, now I'm glad to see they themselves aren't being replaced!

As for new units over rebuilding them, are there even any available? EMD doesn't do it anymore, don't think GE has anything avail at the moment, and the minority builders offering units based on modified GM designs don't seem to have a stellar record so far.

« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2007, 2:49pm by missthealcos » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »